Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

LA to QF Connection and Lounge question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador

I'm arriving on a Lan flight from AKL and connecting to QF to Hong Kong. I have about 3 hours connecting time.

Does anyone know-

1) If I need to clear customs/immigration

2) Which lounge is better to use? (QF or the Centurion lounge)?

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:14 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
I'm arriving on a Lan flight from AKL and connecting to QF to Hong Kong. I have about 3 hours connecting time.

Does anyone know-

Thanks!
Easy. No need to clear Immigration (look for flight Transfers and head upstairs). Then go to the QF lounge complex.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
As mentioned, very easy. If you have OW status, QF F lounge is pretty awesome. Otherwise go to the QF J lounge. Both have views, but F is much better. AMEX is small and very so so.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Thanks everyone! Love FT!!!!
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The AMEX lounge is indeed small, but sometimes can be very quiet ; when it is , I find it more pleasant than the QF business class lounge
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:26 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by BSBtraveller
As mentioned, very easy. If you have OW status, QF F lounge is pretty awesome. ....
OP shows status only for J lounge access, so while the F lounge is indeed awesome, the J lounge is not. Probably a tossup between QF J and Amex lounges.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by bostontraveler

Does anyone know-

Thanks!
Are both flights on the same ticket? If so, then LAN should check your bags AKL/xSYD/HKG and give you both boarding passes. Even if you don't get the onwards boarding pass SYD/HKG just see the transfer desk airside (ie don't clear customs in SYD) or in a lounge if you have access.

If separate tickets it would depend if LAN will through check to QF on separate tickets given that it's no longer mandatory for OW carriers to do so. You could always see the airside transfer desk and ask if they can somehow retag your bags then if they can't, go through customs and checkin again landside.

Re the airport lounges you could always check out both the Ceturion Lounge and QF J Lounge (if you're OWS) or choose the one closest to your departure gate.

Last edited by ozflygirl747; Jun 23, 2016 at 8:33 pm Reason: Punctuation
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
If you are travelling Business Class on the QF flight to HKG, I did not read anything regarding cabin, I am sure you can also access the Emirates Lounge due to cabin of service not because of your AA Platinum status.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
If you're lucky (and for ??? reason you don't want to go to the fantastic QF F lounge), the Amex lounge often fills up and they give you a free pass to the (pretty good) SkyTeam lounge.
But as others have said, if you have OWE, then go to the QF Flounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.