Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD T3 hand baggage storage / INT-DOM checked luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB

Hi all,

On my way back home for a holiday in March next year I've got a long transit in SYD - I arrive from SIN on BA15 very early on a Thursday morning before connecting onto QF583 to PER at 7:30pm with both flights in J. I've booked this long layover as QF583 is the only SYD-PER flight these days with a BA code share (that I've booked on to maximise Avios earned and so that I could apply a GUF to upgrade my EU-Asia v.v. legs to F).

I'm gonna be spending the day heading up to Manly (I've not been up that way since 2007) and I'll be traveling with a small backpack (which I'm happy to carry around) and a larger cabin bag which I won't want to carry around. I was wondering if either the domestic QP or J lounge have hand baggage storage facilities? My plan was to get the transfer bus from T1-T3, have a shower, a wee bite to eat and a few coffees before walking to Mascot station to get the train to Circular Quay.

Also I'm not too sure of what I've got to do with my checked baggage on an INT-DOM connection - I've done that in SYD once back in 2003 but I was traveling as an UM and don't really remember much. My itinerary is OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD on BA with the last flight on QF metal. Do I get my bags tagged in OSL through to PER but collect them at SYD and go through customs/immigration there and then bag drop them at T1 before hopping on the transfer bus to T3?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
QF583 is a purely QF domestic flight so you will have to go through immigration and customs checks via Aust Border Force in SYD.
With if an Aust passport holder coming in via Smartgate, it shouldn't take too long, if they don't have a strike, and if you are not picked.
I made it through in 30 mins, from plane seat belt light coming off, through SYD immi and customs, from WLG on Mon at 8.45am.
Used Smartgate.
They might have stricter rules to check more people on flights from Asia.
Check and see if SYD international terminal still has a stored luggage area, I think they still do.
Thats the best bet, have not seen them at SYD domestic, not saying they are not there.
Take a look at baggagestorage website. They are at the international terminal, you can get the 400 bus between terminals, and also from int or dom terminal to Kings Cross, then train to city, ferry to Manly, and back.
All the public transport modes have Opal, but you can still pay cash.
QP at SYD domestic does not have baggage storage.

Last edited by AustralianPoochie; Oct 7, 2015 at 9:03 am
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:57 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
With if an Aust passport holder coming in via Smartgate, it shouldn't take too long, if they don't have a strike, and if you are not picked.
Smartgate is not just limited to AU passport holders.

Also eligible are passports from:
Canada
Ireland
New Zealand
Singapore
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States of America
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/...teor-ePassport
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Since the OP was mentioning coming home, I just picked up on him or her as Au citizen.
And yes, I have seen the flags of the nationalities that Au Smargate reccognises the citizenships/passports of.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Thanks for the replies - worst case scenario I can always just check in my larger cabin bag at SYD.

I've got dual Australian/UK citizenship although I'll obviously be entering with my Aussie passport. I'm wondering though if it will work passing through the smart gates as I'm an Australian citizen but only returning temporarily rather than back from a holiday - the last time I used the smart gates was a few years ago in PER and I remember them not working too well. I'm so used to the ease of the LHR smart gates with my UK passport as you just need to insert your passport and don't need to worry about any landing card.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:45 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Yes you can use your AU passport no problem even if you're only visiting temporarily.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by perthflyer
Thanks for the replies - worst case scenario I can always just check in my larger cabin bag at SYD.
If you're not going to need the cabin bag on the last leg then I'd check it through. It's just easier - and free if you haven't already used up your allowance in J.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Cabin bag: put it in storage at SYD domestic terminal if you don't want to check it in.

What you need to/should do is this, overall:
1) Collect your luggage on arrival at SYD international and go through immigration, customs & quarantine (this has to be done...). Smart Gate can be used for Australian citizens not residing in Australia, but you do need a biometric passport to use it.

2) Drop off your checked baggage at QF domestic transfer desk. Collect your boarding pass.

3) Take the QF transfer bus to domestic terminal (note that you need to go through security at the transfer desk to catch this bus, and you also need the boarding pass for the domestic flight - they'll scan it as you board the bus. Don't worry about the BP scan, it won't be scanned again until you board the flight even if you leave the terminal, unlike the LHR T5 conformance issue that you will encounter if you leave the airside to go landside).

4) Upon arrival at the domestic terminal, leave and go to the baggage carousel.

5) If you face the baggage carousels from the exit doors to the outside the terminal on the arrivals floor of the terminal, look to the carousel on the far left. The baggage storage service is tucked away in that corner. It's not that easy to spot, so if you can't find it, just ask someone at various desks on that floor. It may look very closed with the shutter down. Don't worry about that, just walk to it. See 6).

6) If the baggage storage place is not manned, picked up the phone on the wall. It will connect you automatically to their number. Ask them to come over so that you can put your bag in storage. They will turn up within a few minutes (may take up to 15 min depending on where they are). Have your bag stored.

7) Off you go into Sydney.

If you don't take the QF transfer bus to Domestic terminal, you'll end up having to pay to go there from International terminal. It's not like LHR where you get the terminal transfers free...

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 7, 2015 at 2:18 pm
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Hi perthflyer,

Do actually *want* to spend the day in Sydney?

Unlike BA, QF domestic check-in staff at SYD Int seem to have capability to shuffle (and bring forward) passengers onto flights - the logic is that the sooner they get you away, the sooner your original seat becomes available for someone else to buy. You could still shower at Dom and be on your way.

*If* you're not allowed to shift forward, nothing lost. You'd still be able to check your checked luggage, have BP issued to go over to Dom. Shower, drop bag at Left Luggage and enjoy your time in Bondi.

Regards,

BD
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perthflyer
I've booked this long layover as QF583 is the only SYD-PER flight these days with a BA code share (that I've booked on to maximise Avios earned and so that I could apply a GUF to upgrade my EU-Asia v.v. legs to F).
Originally Posted by BD1959
Hi perthflyer,
Do actually *want* to spend the day in Sydney?
Like a good FT'er perthflyer is maximising freq flyer earnings.

The QF domestic check-in staff at SYD International will likely offer you another flight. In my experience they offer this no matter what the ticket conditions of your onwards domestic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.