Wiki Posts
Search

Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Plat, UA 1mm,HHonors Diamond
Bid Now Upgrade Success Stories

I am a OW Emerald and flying QF Sunday DFW-SYD and got the offer to do a bid now upgrade. I am booked in PE and just wondered if anyone has any feedback on how likely the bid is taken.

Flight is showing

F8 A5 J9 C9 D9 I3 W6 R6 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L0 G0 E0

Seatmap is showing 4 open seats and 21 blocked seats. Any idea why so many blocked?

Last edited by bmrsjohn; Sep 17, 2015 at 2:56 pm Reason: Forgot some info
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seat maps are no idication of bookings

With M9 still lowish priced economy seats for sale
But ony 6 PE (less than 9)
With D9 still lowish priced business seats for sale. RTW *ONE* and other lowish priced business book into D
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: IHG Plat AMB, BA Bronze & QF Silver
Successful on Bid Now for both SYD - ADL 17/09 and ADL - SYD 20/09.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:45 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Blocked seats can be for keeping empty seat next to high-status pax, QF does this (but will fill these seats later if there is demand, just not available for selection).
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by number_6
Blocked seats can be for keeping empty seat next to high-status pax, QF does this (but will fill these seats later if there is demand, just not available for selection).
Not on this flight. Seats will remain blocked due to weight restrictions. Otherwise the flight would have to make a stop (like the 747 used to).
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
Not on this flight. Seats will remain blocked due to weight restrictions. Otherwise the flight would have to make a stop (like the 747 used to).
"Blocked seats" are held available for "special" people and not available for general bookings until needed at the last moment. For example seats next to WPs are usually blocked (the "platinum shadow") but may be released if the flight is fully booked. Likewise, the "premium" seats in the front row in each cabin are "blocked" until QF decides to release it to people of their choosing - perhaps CL. These blocked seats (especially front rows) can be the highest yielding seats for some VIP last minute pax. No way are any of these seats routinely specifically unsold for weight of aircraft issues. To get the weight sorted, it'll be other seats that will not be sold - typically scattered around the Y cabin.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
It's more the case that sales are restricted to a figure below the actual number of seats in the aircraft.

Such unsold capacity results in unused seats and these can basically be anywhere in the cabin; the actual allocation can vary flight to flight depending on circumstances.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 3:42 pm
Original Member

Hello all
I am flying to JNB next week on a cheap N class fare. I know that this booking class does not allow for classic points upgrade awards, but does it preclude me from bidding for an upgrade to PE or Biz? Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:12 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Bid now upgrades are available to everyone who is invited; how that is selected is a trade secret (it isn't just fare basis). Probably varies with each flight based on revenue optimization.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:17 am
Original Member

Thanks number_6 - I didn't realise one had to be invited. Appreciate your help.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:27 am

LHR-DXB QF10 Booked in Premium Economy (T). Flight wide open in J. Bidding scale between GBP190-GBP1050. I bid GBP300 and had my offer accepted T-24hrs. Inbound DXB-LHR QF9 again in Premium (T). As I was underwhelmed with the J hard product I bid GBP190 on a very busy J flight expecting not to get the upgrade. T-24 notified I had been successful. Full J tier status points and miles posted to my BA Exec Club account within 48hrs of each flight taken. Circa GBP200 would be all I would be prepared to pay for QF J on the A380 in future for a flight length 6-7hrs
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Can anyone bid to upgrade from I to F on the DXB-LHR segment?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Any success with bid now's on QF domestic flight and to southeast Asia?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:51 am

Does anyone know how common/frequent it is to get an email about the upgrade bidding a week before a flight, for domestic flights? I've not seen much on the forum about it.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold
Flying W HKG-SYD on QF128 with my wife....was invited to bid now to upgrade to J. Bid AU$320 x 2 which was just over the minimum and didn't hold out much hope. Got a call from my credit card provider (MBNA) to say they had declined a request for payment from Qantas as it looked suspicious???!!!! I told them to allow it but now Qantas are refusing to re-try and have rejected my bid!!!

Bloody MBNA scuppering my chances of a cheapish upgrade to QF J!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.