Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Y hot meals

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Domestic Y hot meals

Has anyone here experienced the new Y class hot meal packaging? Instead of trays and foil packs, the hot meals now come packaged in a cardboard box and there is no tray to places sides such as bread rolls. For a premium airline I don't think it's a good look to be serving hot meals from a cardboard box. I find it strange that Qantas would be downgrading their meal service when their main competitor now offers a complimentary meal service.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by screech
I find it strange that Qantas would be downgrading their meal service when their main competitor now offers a complimentary meal service.
Outside transcontinental, I don't think I've seen anything that I would describe as a meal on their main competitor in Economy.

(As for the meal in a box, haven't they been around a while?)
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:00 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I was given the boxed quiche a couple of weeks ago. It was surprisingly good. I thought I'd struggle without a tray, but survived. I assume it's the cheapest and quickest way to do a meal service. But really, it's only a substantial snack rather than a meal. I just close my eyes and think of the equivalent sectors in USA or Japan on "premium" airlines and remember how lucky we are to get anything at all.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Has anyone here experienced the new Y class hot meal packaging? Instead of trays and foil packs, the hot meals now come packaged in a cardboard box and there is no tray to places sides such as bread rolls. For a premium airline I don't think it's a good look to be serving hot meals from a cardboard box. I find it strange that Qantas would be downgrading their meal service when their main competitor now offers a complimentary meal service.
You could put the roll on the white paper napkin. Apart from cost, maybe it's an environmentally friendly measure?

I had some sort of yummy Thai chicken meal in it. As long as the contents are good I'm in!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Has anyone here experienced the new Y class hot meal packaging?
This "new packaging" appeared in Dom Y in September 2014.

Regards,

BD
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Only J class Aust dom gets anything on a plate these days.
Had scrambled eggs and a muffin MEL - ADL J when I got it, Dec 14.
Didn't ask for the "upgrade" but found its whats called op up on here and AFF.
Boxed meals down the back, or snacks.
VA J PER - MEL was a full meal service, somewhere last year too. Dep PER 4.30pm or was it 5.30pm WAT and got to MEL quite late about 10.30pm or so.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Apart from cost, maybe it's an environmentally friendly measure?
Space saving. 737s are having a section of galley removed to squeeze in an extra row of seats.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Space saving. 737s are having a section of galley removed to squeeze in an extra row of seats.
Awesome
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Presumably this only affects rows 15 onwards, since any change prior to this would affect the alignment of the Exit Rows...?

Regards,

BD
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
Domestic Y hot meals

I was on one of these new planes last week. The galley is certainly a tight squeeze as is getting in and out of the loos, and the loos themselves. It looked like they had slimmed down the galley and loos and stuck in one extra row of seats - so no rejigging of any of the rows in front.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by theassassin
I was on one of these new planes last week. The galley is certainly a tight squeeze as is getting in and out of the loos, and the loos themselves. It looked like they had slimmed down the galley and loos and stuck in one extra row of seats - so no rejigging of any of the rows in front.
On the plus side, every flight comes with a free game of sardines

No doubt about it, full service carrier Economy gets more like basement LCC with regards to packing the Y seats in, as each year passes. Makes that cardboard box with a single serve quiche feel like luxury lol.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:37 pm

What about special meals in Y domestic such as Kosher, are they more substantial than the regular boxed meals?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:04 pm
RG1

Programs: QF, AA
Originally Posted by Adam Meyer
What about special meals in Y domestic such as Kosher, are they more substantial than the regular boxed meals?
Short answer - no. If you are hungry and able to eat in a lounge or cafe before your flight I would strongly recommend it.

The food may be different for a special meal but it is the same tiny quantity and if you're a vegan on a trans-con then you'll likely miss out when they distribute the dessert/snack further into the flight unless fruit is loaded.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:09 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Having flown domestic Y quite a bit recently, I would say the quality of the meals is top notch in my opinion. I don't know of any other airline having food of that quality domestically in Y
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by HB7
Having flown domestic Y quite a bit recently, I would say the quality of the meals is top notch in my opinion. I don't know of any other airline having food of that quality domestically in Y
Agreed - we flew BNE-DRW-ASP-BNE recently, with two out of the three sectors being Qantaslink, and were really impressed with the quality of the hot food in Y. Kids meals went down well with the Little Travellers and the regular ones were good too. Even got hot food on a mid-afternoon sector ^.

The quality is way ahead of what is available elsewhere in Australian Y I think, never mind US carriers. Not to mention that it's included in the fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.