Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Chance of QF points upgrade to Premium Economy (Silver FF only, QF1/2, June 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chance of QF points upgrade to Premium Economy (Silver FF only, QF1/2, June 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Can you both afford to pay the actual $ for the seats in premY?
If you bought the seats, at least you know those seats will 99% be yours and that you will earn QF SC from it.
At the least, climb your way to QF SG.
From 250 QF SC to 600, its quite high, so you have to "bite the *ullet" and pay QF a bit more to climb the ladder.
Unless you are happy with PS.
Other option is to make a booking in J and use points + pay to reduce the J fare a bit lower. Still $$$ but at least you then have access to lounges around the world.
I know I odn't make sense most of the time.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:54 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
Can you both afford to pay the actual $ for the seats in premY?
If you bought the seats, at least you know those seats will 99% be yours and that you will earn QF SC from it.
At the least, climb your way to QF SG.
From 250 QF SC to 600, its quite high, so you have to "bite the *ullet" and pay QF a bit more to climb the ladder.
The OP has stated they would otherwise purchase CX Y+ which should provide the same SC's as QF Y+ at a lower cost.

Also, you would require 700 SC's to qualify for SG, then 600 SC's the next year to renew.

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
I know I odn't make sense most of the time.
Yet you continue to post even after you stated you'd stop..
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by nux

OP is wanting to travel Dubai-Sydney return though?
If I read correctly they want to travel to Europe - and upgrade the AU-DXB portions of the journey. (Hence considering CX which would take them all the way to europe?)
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:10 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If I read correctly they want to travel to Europe - and upgrade the AU-DXB portions of the journey. (Hence considering CX which would take them all the way to europe?)
Apologies you are indeed correct. I completely missed the 'flights to Europe' in the OP and just took in the 'Dubai to Sydney and back' part.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Will you still be Silver when the flights are? Since it is determined by your status when the upgrades are processed, not when booked.

PE on CX would be better than Y on QF. How much extra is QF Y+? But I agree with all of the above advice, I would book the cabin you are willing to travel whether that is QF Y, QF upgradeable Y, CX Y+, QF Y+ or otherwise.

EDIT: Apologies completely misread the OP.
Thanks nuxand LHR/MEL/Europe FF - Yes, will still be Silver at the time of the flight. QF Y+ is $1,500 more than CX Y+ (and we probably can't justify stretching our budget that far).

Apologies for confusion regarding the flights in question - we're flying into LHR but flying out of FCO so we'd have to connect from FCO to DXB on a codeshare flight without a PE cabin, hence my interest in the chance of upgrading the Dubai to Sydney leg
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Thought I'd update this just in case anyone runs a similar search.

We had a change of plans so ended up flying QF1 SYD-LHR one-way in mid-May on a non-sale economy fare instead (c. $2000 oneway) and we both (Silver QF FFs only) received points upgrades to PE. Stoked! It did sound very much luck of the draw, quite a few people in the PE cabin seemed to be high status FFs who were complaining about missing out on J upgrade.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Originally Posted by susanann87
Thought I'd update this just in case anyone runs a similar search.

We had a change of plans so ended up flying QF1 SYD-LHR one-way in mid-May on a non-sale economy fare instead (c. $2000 oneway) and we both (Silver QF FFs only) received points upgrades to PE. Stoked!
Congrats on the upgrade

Originally Posted by susanann87
It did sound very much luck of the draw, quite a few people in the PE cabin seemed to be high status FFs who were complaining about missing out on J upgrade.
Classic DYKWIA.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:41 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by snabbu
Classic DYKWIA.
Those complaining about missing out on the upgrade may well have seen people who appeared to be QF staff / staff families in the Biz cabin...
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Those complaining should perhaps have bought business class tickets if being in business class was that important

It doesn't matter who was in the business cabin
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Those complaining should perhaps have bought business class tickets if being in business class was that important

It doesn't matter who was in the business cabin
But its an FT tradition to voice such complaints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.