Wiki Posts
Search

QF vs LAN to SCL

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
QF vs LAN to SCL

I am gearing up for next year's trip and it looks like awards in J (using AA miles) are scarce as hen's teeth so we will have to go Y. The saving grace could be getting one of the two-seat rows in the back of either LAN's 787 or QF's 747. Has anyone flown this route and can advise on the best option? IIRC, QF doesn't allow you to book seats on partner awards? We would be going either BNE-SYD-SCL on QF or BNE-AKL-SCL on QF/LA, then connect onwards to GYE.

One consideration is that the QF option has several choices for the BNE-SYD flight that connect to the SCL flight so if one is delayed, there is room to switch us to another flight and we would probably get the 6am dpearture to have plenty of leeway. Going via AKL breaks the journey up a bit but there is only one QF flight between BNE-AKL and if it is late or canceled we would miss the LAN flight.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
If LA is late ex-SCL to AKL, they often will cancel the AKL-SYD-AKL sectors to make up time. Something else to consider...
Old May 16, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: OWE/QF WP - 90% LTG, SPG Gold
I'd chose to transit in AKL rather the SYD any day! I've not flown LAN in Y though...
Old May 16, 2015, 7:50 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I have just received an email from LAN advising of 20% off (all ?) fares to and within South America from June 2015 to April 2016. This special is good until 18 May (ie hurry hurry hurry).
Old May 17, 2015, 4:29 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
LAN is pretty dreadful in Y on long-haul (only flew them once in Y, dozen times in J and their J is highly variable). They seem to struggle on this route and also have a very high load factor (slightly more chance of empty seats on QF). But BNE-AKL-SCL is considerably shorter than BNE-SYD-SCL and you don't show F lounge access in SYD which maybe tilts the balance to going via AKL on LAN.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by number_6
LAN is pretty dreadful in Y on long-haul (only flew them once in Y, dozen times in J and their J is highly variable). They seem to struggle on this route and also have a very high load factor (slightly more chance of empty seats on QF).
NZ will begin flights to EZE towards the end of this year with South American connections via partner AR, this might lighten the LA load and possibly put some pressure on pricing.
Old May 19, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
There ended up not being a choice. QF doesn't fly to SCL the day I wanted so we had to either fly LAN or sacrifice one day of destination time. I couldn't get Y on BNE-AKL and couldn't get J on AKL/SYD-SCL. I didn't want to pay for 2 awards so had to go with Y via SYD. BNE-SYD-SCL-GYE.

Since there are no change fees, I will keep an eye on availability and switch to the AKL transit if space opens up.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Took LA twice AKL to SYD, never again in Y! Maybe I would go J with LA next time, or go EK's 380.
Would take the 380 Au to NZ I say if I were you. Do a break for day and a bit in AKL.
Then get the LA(N) 787 if it flies from AKL to SCL.
Have flown EK's 777 several times, even in Y down the back, its better than the LA
's 340.
Will be personally trying the EK 380 sometime end of this year.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
Then get the LA(N) 787 if it flies from AKL to SCL.
LAN have replaced the 340 with the 787 on the SCL-AKL-SYD route. I understand that they are considering a direct SYD-SCL flight in addition to the ones via AKL. This may spell the end of LA SYD-AKL flights ??
Old May 20, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by number_6
LAN is pretty dreadful in Y on long-haul (only flew them once in Y, dozen times in J and their J is highly variable). They seem to struggle on this route and also have a very high load factor (slightly more chance of empty seats on QF). But BNE-AKL-SCL is considerably shorter than BNE-SYD-SCL and you don't show F lounge access in SYD which maybe tilts the balance to going via AKL on LAN.
I flew LAN AKL-SCL-AKL about 6 years ago (as well as multiple flights intra-South America) and found no fault with them. Friendly crews, passable food (albeit not as good as QF Y), comfortable seats and decent wine for Y (once again not as good as QF but still above average).
Old May 20, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by og
LAN have replaced the 340 with the 787 on the SCL-AKL-SYD route. I understand that they are considering a direct SYD-SCL flight in addition to the ones via AKL. This may spell the end of LA SYD-AKL flights ??
I doubt LA will drop the AKL stop for all its flights.
LA make quite a bit of money hauling cargo from SA to Australia and beyond. Going non-stop to SYD will mean a significant hit on the cargo they can carry. Also there are people who get off at AKL to take the CX flight to HKG and beyond.
I also wonder if pax going to BNE and MEL also transfer at AKL on the QF flights.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I doubt LA will drop the AKL stop for all its flights.
LA make quite a bit of money hauling cargo from SA to Australia and beyond. Going non-stop to SYD will mean a significant hit on the cargo they can carry. Also there are people who get off at AKL to take the CX flight to HKG and beyond.
I also wonder if pax going to BNE and MEL also transfer at AKL on the QF flights.
That's one unique thing about AKL. There are a material number of direct OW onward routes from there so its not an O&D dead end.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Qantas product are very superior to LAN product , personal opinion. Economy class seats in the 787 are VERY uncomfortable.

Today standards in economy : 3-3-3 787 (2-4-2 is a rare exception on some JAL and ANA long haul 787) , 3-4-3 777 (3-3-3 or 2-5-2 were old standards, fitted on some 777) ... 3-4-3 in a 747 or A380 is better due a wider cabin.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:07 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vorellanaj
Today standards in economy : 3-3-3 787 (2-4-2 is a rare exception on some JAL and ANA long haul 787) , 3-4-3 777 (3-3-3 or 2-5-2 were old standards, fitted on some 777) ... 3-4-3 in a 747 or A380 is better due a wider cabin.
Regarding passenger comfort, this means very little unless you also discuss seat width and aircraft cabin width. Seat pitch and aisle width also comes into the "comfort equation".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.