Wiki Posts
Search

Jetstar prices for new year travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Jetstar prices for new year travel

Hello,

This is a very specific question but I hope someone has suitable experience and can offer an answer.

I'll be on holiday in Australia over Christmas and new year and will fly from Sydney to Hobart (Tasmania) on 2nd January. The prices at the moment look very high (>200AU$) and the flights aren't even half full. I know I could travel on another day for cheaper but that doesn't fit with my plans. Does anyone know if the flights on this route and at that time of year are likely to remain at this price or do they typically start to fall again nearer the departure date?

Like I said, a very specific question!

Thanks,
Will
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you looked at the pricing from www.qantas.com.au and www.virginaustralia.com ?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: OW Emerald
From Boxing Day through about 3rd of January is peak travel time. The Sydney-Hobart yacht race will have just finished and the Taste of Tasmania is on through 3rd January. While no-one has a crystal ball, I would not expect prices to decrease. $200 is actually pretty good.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Don't assume from a dummy booking that the plane is only half full on JQ.

A lot of people don't bother selecting seats with JQ fares.

$200 for that time of year is good.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Great answers, thanks for the replies and explanations, especially about the seat availability on dummy booking being misleading.
Cheers,
Will
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:24 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
25 yrs ago I bought a SYD-HBA ticket for $254 (one way) just after new year. Yes, I do remember the price! I'd suggest that $200 is a good price and it is unlikely to get cheaper. Do you feel lucky?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Well I wasn't feeling lucky so I went ahead and booked. The price yesterday for the evening flight was $229 I think and today when I booked it was down to $199, so now I lucky!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:55 pm
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Um, have you booked accommodation yet? I've been burnt by Hobart before - when big events are on, prices go way up.

For example, the Best Western is AUD 341 on 2 Jan...

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.