Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas vs Qatar for Cape Town to Sydney

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas vs Qatar for Cape Town to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
My guess is that more favourable winds could shift flight paths over to a more southerly track.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by PaulST
I've just returned from JNB and we had old 747s both ways so expect a Skybed Mk1. Apparently they get refurbished jumbos infrequently.

If you've got a few days, spend them in Cape Town. It's a pretty city while JNB, in contrast, is quite a dump (apologies to anyone who lives there). There's heaps of cheap flights between Cape Town and JNB too.

On the topic of views, here's a photo I took from QF63 whilst flying over Antarctica. You'll be on QF64 but you should get the same view.
Wow. Wow.

That pic has made my day. I've wanted to take a look at Antarctica for a long, long time. It never occurred to me the great circle route went there. That is 100% definite for the Qantas JNB-SYD flight then instead of going via Doha.

Mrs Puff has a friend in Cape Town so we will be there for 2 weeks. I think we won't be going to Joburg at all except the airport.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pandaperth
I'm jealous!!

I might be flying JNB-SYD myself in January, so I'd be very interested from anybody in the know whether the Eastbound flight ever goes that far South

IIRC when QF flew SYD-EZE, the flights quite often flew close enough to Antarctica for it to be visible.
I'll report back. Must make sure to sit on right hand side of aircraft.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by creampuff
It never occurred to me the great circle route went there. That is 100% definite for the Qantas JNB-SYD flight then instead of going via Doha.
The point is that the Great Circle Route JNB-SYD goes nowhere near Antarctica. So the likely cause of PaulST's routing was due to headwinds. IIRC someone on JNB-SYD once flew North of Perth! In fact, looking on flightaware right now - QF64 is well to the South of Perth but its flight path shows it went nowhere near far enough South to be able to see Antarctica.
I'll report back. Must make sure to sit on right hand side of aircraft.
If anything, I'll be reporting to you - if I start my DONE4 with JNB-SYD then that will be very early January, which IIRC is before you will be flying it.

But I might instead start a DONE5 with CPT-DOH, but that won't be until late January.

It all depends on the work situation, amongst other things...
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: QF Gold
QF63 typically takes the southerly routing to avoid the very strong westerly jetstream, which is all headwind in that direction. However, most flights route to the north of the Kerguelen Islands, crossing into South Africa near Durban. It is quite rare that it tracks anywhere near Antarctica unfortunately - but it does occur very infrequently. The poster above was quite fortunate.

It is that very westerly jetstream however that is of great benefit heading back east on the QF64, allowing a mostly straight track from Maputo to the Victorian coast west of Melbourne and true airspeed in the 1100-1200km/hr range (some of the fastest commercial flight still around). I'd suggest it would be even less likely to see Antarctica in this direction.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Oneworld_Flyer
It is that very westerly jetstream however that is of great benefit heading back east on the QF64, allowing a mostly straight track from Maputo to the Victorian coast west of Melbourne and true airspeed in the 1100-1200km/hr range (some of the fastest commercial flight still around). I'd suggest it would be even less likely to see Antarctica in this direction.
Very impressive speed
Just to confirm - is that airspeed or groundspeed?
(I know next to nothing about aviation, but I would think an aeroplane's airspeed would not be affected by the windspeed, whereas the ground speed would be the (vector) sum of the airspeed and windspeed)
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Very impressive speed
Just to confirm - is that airspeed or groundspeed?
(I know next to nothing about aviation, but I would think an aeroplane's airspeed would not be affected by the windspeed, whereas the ground speed would be the (vector) sum of the airspeed and windspeed)
Ground speed.

There are also two airspeeds:
IAS - indicated air speed. The airplane will respond to control inputs the same way at the same IAS.
TAS - true air speed. At altitude due to the lower air pressure, the pitot tubes which measure air pressure give a lower IAS than the true airspeed, TAS.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I've looked at the ExpertFlyer seat map for QF64 on my day of travel. A lot of top deck J seats are shown blocked out.

Is there a difference between a blocked out seat and an occupied seat?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've looked at the ExpertFlyer seat map for QF64 on my day of travel. A lot of top deck J seats are shown blocked out.

Is there a difference between a blocked out seat and an occupied seat?
Yes, a blocked out seat is not taken but is not available to select vs a seat that has actually been selected

One World status affects what seats are available to select vs which ones will appear as unavailable
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Well, my ticket has been issued and I will definitely be catching QF64 in Jan.

I've picked seats on the top deck already.

The Qantas seat selection website is showing a 3-class (J-PEY-Y) 747. ExpertFlyer is also showing a 3-class 747. Seat Guru when you plug in the date of my flight shows a 4-class (F-J-PEY-Y) 747. Any ideas? Is an aircraft of a particular level of interior refurb allocated this far ahead?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Does Business class seat selection on Qantas.com have a row 5 or a row 4 (Can't have both on a 744!)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Does Business class seat selection on Qantas.com have a row 5 or a row 4 (Can't have both on a 744!)
The Qantas seat map for my flight has a Row 5 and does not have a Row 4.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The you have Skybed Mark II which are 180° lay flat and parallel with the floor.

My favorite seat (if travelling solo) is 5J. (Then 5B, then 14A)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
The you have Skybed Mark II which are 180° lay flat and parallel with the floor.

My favorite seat (if travelling solo) is 5J. (Then 5B, then 14A)
OIC

Yes I researched 5J; I've actually got 3 x seats booked so thought about getting 5J and two others nearby, but the desire to go onto the top deck won out, so now I've got 3 x seats on the top deck.

Do you think it is likely to remain an aircraft with Skybed Mk II or they could have an equipment swap with another aircraft?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the time the flights happen there are likely to be only the nine aircraft in 3 class MkII configurations and maybe a couple of four class.

I have a flight in May next year and have selected 3E as this seat translates well for both configurations.

*In any case, I will be watching closely.

[edit]
Note that looking at http://www.theqantassource.com/boeing747-400.html indicates there are only two four class still operating. I guess that won't be for much longer.

Just watch out for the older 3 class 56J version (has row 4 seating 4a/b/e/f/j/k)
[/edit]

Last edited by serfty; Oct 30, 2014 at 8:12 pm Reason: 4 class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.