Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New timing MEL/SYD/BNE to LAX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by ozflier
I recall United had one like this though maybe from SFO.
QF used to up to about 10 years ago, or even later perhaps.

A oneworld timetable from 2005 shows QF8 leaving LAX at around 1pm. OK over the northern summer, with arrival into SYD at 20:30, but in northern winter arrival time of around 22:30 is more problematic.

Back then (before the A380's, DL and VA services on SYD-LAX) QF had four services from LAX to SYD on Wed, Fri & Sun, and three on other days, but of course no DFW then.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

I caught the United daytime flight SFO-SYD once, IIRC it was one of the first international non smoking flights in United's network.

Without being too condescending, some of the kiddies on this forum might not remember the no smoking light used to go out before the seat belts must be fastened light.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Buzz53
QF upgrade to F is great when it can be done. Maybe this might be more likely on the later departure? Maybe there will be more discount F available with the increased capacity which is tempting.
But the later flight is a 744, so no F cabin.

Dave
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Originally Posted by og
My feelings exactly. UA has provided great afternoon flight times SYD-SFO and their flat beds are OK even though a touch short and narrow. I just wonder if UA prompted QF into this with the new MEL-LAX competition on the 787?
I think it was part of the reason, QF won't just add more flights on MEL-LAX if it didn't see fit or the demand is not there, its very rare for QF to add extra flights anywhere outside of SYD so it looks like MEL-LAX does make quite a lot for them. UA did however chased off VA, but at the same prompted QF to react.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A daytime departure out of LAX would be great.
I recall UAs problem was connections to interstate destinations were affected badly even if their flight was 60 minutes late.
Daytime departures from the US are hard, especially for half of the year.

An 11am departure out of LAX means an approx 7pm arrival at the moment, but a 9pm arrival for half of the year after daylight savings swaps.

11am is already early enough to make inbound connections in the US difficult, but going later makes the arrival time very late - and most importantly makes it almost impossible to turn the plane around same-day (for the US airlines, turn back to the US. For QF/VA, turn it to any other destination)

9pm arrival is risky for a scheduled arrival to Sydney. Anything more than a slight delay and you hit curfew and end up having delay the flight 12 hours or divert somewhere else. For BNE/MEL it's OK, but only if you're not expecting many connections.

UA is also re-timing it's AU->US flights once they start MEL-LAX. During Australian summer SYD-LAX moves to 11:40am, and SYD-SFO to 2:30. In winter, it's 9:50am and 12 midday. This is mainly due to the elimination of their SYD-MEL-SYD tag flight.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
The later 744's ex-MEL are interesting. The mid arvo arrival at LAX would really only suit those headed to LA area, or west coast/mountain destinations - it may well wind up being the "disneyland" flight
well, one could connect as far as the bigger places in the Central time zone basically, same-day. The AA/US last nonstop before the redeyes is at 1745 to ORD, 1855 to DFW. plus both of those places have quite convenient intra-airport hotel options as compared to LAX.

happy to have the option added, for those trips when I don't need the East Coast in the US.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm on QF18 JFK-LAX connecting to QF94 LAX-MEL. I don't like the new 1hr 10min connection time. I head that LAX-MEL will leave passengers behind if JFK-LAX is delayed? I was checking google and some reports that is the case. Any experiences? I'm on an AS award so i cannot do the AA flights
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It's a TBIT->TBIT airside transit - you don't even have to re-clear security.

1:10 minutes is generally fine - there is a lot of padding in the JFK-LAX schedule.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 19, 2014 at 8:29 pm Reason: 70 minutes
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by serfty
110 minutes is generally fine - there is a lot of padding in the JFK-LAX schedule.
However, a lot of that padding is likely to be eaten up by the very short scheduled JFK turn around time.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by serfty
It's a TBIT->TBIT airside transit - you don't even have to re-clear security.

110 minutes is generally fine - there is a lot of padding in the JFK-LAX schedule.
All true - except not 110mins, it's 1hr10mins. That's right on the MCT, specifically identified for that connection (although, the same as other QF-QF connections identified in the MCT table).

Last edited by deeruck; Dec 19, 2014 at 7:41 am
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
If QF 18 is running late into LAX, would they proactively try and move LAX originating passengers from it onto other flights to make room for misconnects to continue on to Australia and then put of them on domestic sector to their final destination?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:06 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Himeno
QF11 SYD-LAX 380 0950-0630

QF17 SYD-LAX 747 1730-1410
OMG - the morning flight is too early, the afternoon is too late for me

More United or CX TPAC flights for me
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:53 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by TPJ
OMG - the morning flight is too early, the afternoon is too late for me

More United or CX TPAC flights for me
CX via HKG is quite a detour and would add many extra hours. The morning QF SYD-LAX is certainly early (as is UA SYD-LAX) - your body clock will be saying "its now time for sleep" as you are arriving in LAX at the start of the day .

I quite like the idea of the afternoon QF SYD-LAX as sleep should be good. But onward connections may be problematic.

The UA SYD-SFO around the middle of the day may be the only answer?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If they get me there late can the rebook me the next day. Id hate to get dropped from A380 F to 747J. Only reason I booked QF instead of spending some time in HKG on CX is to fly QF A380 F. I lost the last reservation I had due to the A380 engine issues a few years back.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by og
CX via HKG is quite a detour and would add many extra hours. The morning QF SYD-LAX is certainly early (as is UA SYD-LAX) - your body clock will be saying "its now time for sleep" as you are arriving in LAX at the start of the day .

I quite like the idea of the afternoon QF SYD-LAX as sleep should be good. But onward connections may be problematic.

The UA SYD-SFO around the middle of the day may be the only answer?
Is it really that hard to adjust to the new timezone during the flight?
I have not gotten jetlag for 7 years (I do round the world trips every year).

The 0950 departure out of SYD is 1450 in LA. It's a 14 hour flight. Stay awake for ~7 hours, then go to sleep "early" at around 10pm LA time. Get 5-6 hours sleep, and then wake up at around 5am for breakfast and landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.