Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Aircraft change - PE no longer available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

We booked four adult seats (plus an infant) in PE for SYD - SIN - SYD. We also have a classic award booking Business/PE for the same flight.

We put in a points upgrade request to business for all the paid seats.

While checking the loads on expert flyer I noticed that the return leg no longer has PE. We have had no communication with Qantas on this.

I then logged into QFF and see a note above the booking saying your flight has been cancelled. From expert flyer I don't think the whole flight has been cancelled just PE.

I am not sure what I should ask for when I call QF (what I can reasonably expect):

1. Full refund on the whole flight
2. Fare difference between PE and economy on return flight AND compensation (i.e. downgrade to economy)
3. Conversion to one way fare SYD - SIN only with refund on the return leg cost (but without having to pay the full priced one way PE flight)
4. Confirmed upgrade to Business i.e. Qantas take all the points we were going to use to upgrade now.

We specifically took this flight as we wanted PE (and potential opportunity to upgrade). It is actually not the best routing for us so it is especially annoying, particulalry when travelling with an 82 year old and nearly 2 year old.

Also, two travellers are Lifetime Silver (soon to be current year Gold).

Any thoughts on what is reasonable would be helpful.

Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
You should be eligible for a refund of $450 - $750 per pax based on the fare bucket you had booked into.

http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/...efundTable.pdf
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Do you mean I will fly in economy and get the fare difference?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by teddyflyer
Yes, you will fly in economy.

No, you won't get the fare difference but the dollar figure form the relevant column in the table which depends on the fare bucket of your originally booked fare.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
If the fare difference between PE and the lowest available economy fare on the day you booked is more than the refund table, I would say you are entitled to the higher amount.

Just looking at a sample date now i can see the difference between PE and Y is around $400 each way. So don't accept a mere $245 as outlined in the table above if you have paid the $400!

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jul 2, 2014 at 5:56 pm
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

Does anyone have opinions of my original four options. I presume I am at least entitied to (1) i.e. cancel and full refund?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Have you spoken to Qantas about this yet and if so what did it say? It may be that the airline has rebooked you in an acceptable way ; find out what the state is now and then can figure out if you even need to worry about it

If you have been involuntarily downgraded, you can indeed cancel with no penalty
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Starting point should be a phone call. Rather than worrying about what might be, why not find out what is. The "is" might just be acceptable. And, if it isn't, it's worth coming back here for some help.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
You don't indicate what your FF status is. I would speculate that QF's response to the cancellation of the PE seats would depend very greatly on that. Yes - I have had PE seats cancel (much earlier) as a result of aircraft damage/substitution. I was not unhappy with the result.

In the end, asking QF what their plans are would be a good starting point.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: CX DM
Last time when they had an aircraft changed and PE was not available for me anymore. I called up the call centre and then was given free upgrade to business for that flight
the thing is i was only one person so not sure whether they will do the same thing for you especially when you have an infant
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: QF WP
If you don't mind being out of pocket for a short period of time, check the prices for BA16/15. If the PE prices are comparable, get a full refund and fly BA instead if PE is important to you.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

So we ended up going with none of the original options.

We were flying into Bangkok from London (and then out of Singapore to Sydney). As such we have changed to a flight out of Hong Kong in PE on the A380 (point upgrade request is also backdated).

No fees charged.

Only downside is slightly longer flight time than from HK but we actually get into Sydney earlier.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
So we ended up going with none of the original options.

We were flying into Bangkok from London (and then out of Singapore to Sydney). As such we have changed to a flight out of Hong Kong in PE on the A380 (point upgrade request is also backdated).

No fees charged.

Only downside is slightly longer flight time than from HK but we actually get into Sydney earlier.
When's your flight? You know they are removing the A380 from Hong Kong so no more PE there either. Or wait maybe it is going to a 747 with PE not the A330's.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

No, I didn't know that. Flight is mid September.

If that happens I guess I will just argue really hard to give us a confirmed points upgrade to Business.

ETA - they are advertising PE specials on the website today for HK all the way through 2015.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
No, I didn't know that. Flight is mid September.

If that happens I guess I will just argue really hard to give us a confirmed points upgrade to Business.

ETA - they are advertising PE specials on the website today for HK all the way through 2015.
Just had a look, appears to be going to 747 so still PE for sale, just no more First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.