Wiki Posts
Search

Will QF be around?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold
Will QF be around?

I've been reading on various aviation blogs about the situation QF finds itself in, possible $800M loss this financial year, selling some aircraft, cancelling orders, sacking staff, downgrading FF earnings etc. etc.

My problem is that I have many flights booked into the future (to April next year) with QF which will add to the FF points and SC's I already have.

Is there general confidence that QF will still be around then? I'm QF Gold and still have a quantity of FF points. Should I be burning them and flying asap or will QF weather this crisis? Any comments appreciated.

(Mods - if this is the wrong forum, I apologise, but it is the points and status that I'm concerned about so thought it relevant for here).
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
I think Qantas will weather the storm but not with the current management team. CEO and a lot of top management need to go with some fresh ideas required.

I have bookings through to end September and when I get the chance I will more than likely book through to end December.

I have ~1.2million QFF points and the balance growing. I don't have the time to burn them and I am not going to throw them away on pointless flights.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:45 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I'm still earning and still burning - but burning faster than previously. Nothing stays the same. Take every chance for that award flight when it happens. We just don't know what is ahead. You might be hit by the proverbial bus before you get to spend your airline points. You'll probably be dead before you get to spend all of your airline miles - so why worry about the airline longevity.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:48 am

People used to ask the same of Holden.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Qantas still has goverment backing. But at the rate which Alan Joyce is destroying the airline, there will be nothing left but a miserable downmarket version of Jetstar if he's allowed to continue for say 2 more years.

OT -seems the auditors have finally caught on to Joyce's crooked accounting which shows a profit on paper for Jetstar by allocating the majority of Jetstar's costs to Qantas. This year life at Jetstar has become a lot tougher with miserable staff, redoubled nickel-and diming eg on overweight cabin-bags, and a total lack of preparedness/care for IRROPS. Avoid Jetstar, or get extra travel insurance.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Jetstar Asia and Jetstar Int are suffering thanks to the even lower cost Air Asia and AirAsiaX

Reality is
If Qantas and TAA hadn't merged ages ago, I suspect the old Qantas would be bankrupt by now.

That said it is ancient history and the Qantas Group including Qantas Int, Qantas Dom, Jetstar Dom, and the other Jetstars , and QFF is profitable.

Given QFF is such a profit centre for Qantas Limited, it needs to find a way to make QFi continue in some form (or at least continue in oneworld) -- without QFi the "value" to the end-consumer of QFF diminishes enormously -even if much of it is perceived value.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
This thread has kicked off over on the United board: "Push for CEO Ouster...".

The article referenced an article from thestreet.com:
"It's time to find a new CEO who understands how to run an airline, not just make excuses for his failures,"
Strikes me as an apt phrase for another airline...
Old May 1, 2014, 11:25 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Yes - Qantas will be around - they will have a new name though - EMIRATES AUSTRALIA (and VA will be ETIHAD AUSTRALIA)
Old May 3, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

They'll be around in some form, but no guarantee that QFF benefits will still be there in the same manner. With the way the program is changing, I'm now in burn mode.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:36 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by TPJ
Yes - Qantas will be around - they will have a new name though - EMIRATES AUSTRALIA (and VA will be ETIHAD AUSTRALIA)
Old May 7, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by moa999
Jetstar Asia and Jetstar Int are suffering thanks to the even lower cost Air Asia and AirAsiaX
That's not completely true. Tiger (Singapore) made a huge loss as well, with the low-end passenger market in Asia basically vaporising since mid last year. But at least they are getting their CEO replaced. Also, none of the budget carriers based in SIN have grand expansion plan this year, but are simply consolidating and cutting losses.

I guess this isn't the thread to discuss on the economy, but the signs are there for a dip/correction - SIN now has more IT/electrical shows almost every month, with price cuts happening every day and plenty of unsold stock at the end of the weekend; economy/budget flights have been getting insanely cheap (e.g. SIN-HKG return for $100 USD); real estate markets have retreated from its heights. And given SIN relies quite heavily on regional trades, that also reflect somewhat on the health of nearby economies.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:24 am

With QANTAS sacking workers (Unfortunate, but a business financial step), re-structuring and changing their flight routes (Cropping less profitable hauls) one would think they are on the right path to be financially viable and be able to survive.

Here in Australia, they do have the backing of our government to some degree (I believe QANTAS are asking for more money, but the government won't give it, because if they do, then VA will want it as well).

They are also selling their lease on their hold of the current SYD domestic terminal in a bid to save more coin.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JohnK
I have ~1.2million QFF points and the balance growing. I don't have the time to burn them and I am not going to throw them away on pointless flights.
So what exactly are you going to use them on then ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.