Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Qantas Cash on British Airways

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Using Qantas Cash on British Airways

Has anyone succesfully used Qantas Cash on the British Airways website to book flights in foreign currency? Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by teddyflyer
Has anyone succesfully used Qantas Cash on the British Airways website to book flights in foreign currency? Thanks
No reason why you shouldn't be able to, it functions just like a regular credit card.

Dave
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Yes, I agree it is intended to function like a regular credit card. However, BA is not accepting the payment (online).

Qantas Cash and BA (in Australia) could not assist me.

I am freaking out a little bit as if I need to convert it back to AUD I will lose $1000 on the exchange.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: QF QP
Are you using the Australian or UK website for BA?
Maybe it is requiring a $A amount
I haven't used QC to book BA flights but have used it to book European travel (in euros) on various European sites with the euro value quoted.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I think it could be a Thai Baht problem as I jut tried a cheap booking on Expedia.co.th for 500BHT and it also would not accept the payment with the card.

The money only showed up on the card today (as per the website) so perhaps it has not been recognised by MasterCard yet?

FWIW - I have tried Australian site, UK site and Thailand site for BA. All quote the fares in BHT. All fail.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:28 am

The money only showed up on the card today (as per the website) so perhaps it has not been recognised by MasterCard yet?
The money has to hit the card first before you can make any purchases with it. Have you since tried booking your flights again?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

The Bpay transfer was done Monday. Money hit the card yesterday - Qantas Cash confirmed.

Still no transactions today. Qantas Cash don't know what the problem is. In the meantime my BA flights are no longer available!

Qantas Cash won't give me my money back (well I need to go through a whole complaints process).

I tried expedia.co.th, worked perfectly with my two Australian Visa cards but refuses to work with Qantas Cash.

Very furstrated.

Should I just pay for the flughts with another credit card and hope Qantas gives me the full amount of my money back?? I feel it will be a long fight.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am confused on one thing; if you have a credit card why were you going through the rigmarole to pay with a bad value card rather than just pay on the credit card?

I would be surprised if the card company will refund your money without the related fees being applied

I would def just get on and pay with the visa credit card

You might want to look at the 28 degrees mastercard for a good value card for purchasing in foreign currency
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:54 pm

Qantas Cash won't give me my money back (well I need to go through a whole complaints process).
Sorry to hear it's still not working for you and that you missed out on your preferred flights.

You can use the Cash Out to Bank Account function to withdraw the balance of your Qantas Cash account.

Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am confused on one thing; if you have a credit card why were you going through the rigmarole to pay with a bad value card rather than just pay on the credit card?
There's a Qantas Cash promotion currently going on; perhaps the OP wanted to take advantage of it?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eminere
There's a Qantas Cash promotion currently going on; perhaps the OP wanted to take advantage of it?
each to their own; seems like buying miles given the poor value the Qantas cash card has
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Obviously in hindsight I would not have used Qantas Cash. The reasons I used it:

1. You can lock in the exchange rate
2. The exchange rate was better than on Visa and Amex
3. The Qantas points are higher than on my Visa
4. For whatever reason I recently applied for a different/better credit card and was declined (I tell myself it was because I always pay on time and they don't want customers who do that).

In terms of cashing out I will lose $1200 on the buy/sell rate (even after the THB has appreciated in the four days since the transaction) and that is just not acceptable to me.

Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
In terms of cashing out I will lose $1200 on the buy/sell rate (even after the THB has appreciated in the four days since the transaction) and that is just not acceptable to me.
$1200!! How much did you put on there?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justin_krusty
$1200!! How much did you put on there?
Enough for three Club World/Business class flights from Bangkok to London return. Although even based on that amount, the "loss" does seem excessive.

To close out the situation, my FIL, who incidentally lives in Bangkok, went to the British Airways office to make booking (with the card numbers not the actual card itself).

Qantas Cash has basically said that the card wont work on the internet but can't really explain why.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Qantas Cash has basically said that the card wont work on the internet but can't really explain why.
I have successfully used my Qantas Cash card to make Internet purchases

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.