Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Flight Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

How can I tell if the ticket stock number is AA or Qantas?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cxk411
How can I tell if the ticket stock number is AA or Qantas?
Do you have the eticket receipt?

On it should be a ticket number - Being issued by Qantas I expect that it will start 081 ; if it was issued by AA will start 001

If it is 081, then should go to Qantas and see what they it do; it should be able to re-accommodate as per the advice to travel agents I would have thought rather than just giving a refund

If only AU had nice EU protections

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 4, 2013 at 4:27 pm
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

The ticket number begins with 081, so it is a Qantas ticket.

I called AA and spoke with a supervisor who informed me that because I booked the flight through Qantas, using Qantas points, Qantas has to handle the issue. The AA rep could not directly put me on one of the available AA flights, unless AA was the booking agent, not the case here. However, she did give me a Japan Airlines flight (part of their alliance and offered on the AA website) to give to the Qantas rep.

So even if I wanted another identical AA flight, Qantas would have to call AA for me.

I then called Qantas. The problem is that there were no award flights left, just regular flights. Usually if you book an award flight and its cancelled, they can only put you on another award flight (even if its an award flight not offered by Qantas but offered by one of their alliance partners). Unfortunately, the Japan Airlines flight suggested is not an awards flight.

So the Qantas rep called AA on my behalf to ask them to give me another option. Since my original AA flight was cancelled, AA has to cough up the costs to put me on another flight. She is trying to get my travel partner and I on the Japan Airlines flight that was recommended. It is a bit tricky because its not an award flight. She seemed optimistic. She said she is waiting for AA to contact her back w confirmation.

Fingers crossed!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Tough situation.
This is what happens when booking award flights using one airline for another on routes that the booking airline doesn't fly.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by redslert
Tough situation.
This is what happens when booking award flights using one airline for another on routes that the booking airline doesn't fly.
Many folks, myself included, hope this does not happen on our award flights.

Would flight insurance have helped or only if it was a ticket purchased in currency?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; Nov 4, 2013 at 9:00 pm Reason: don't mind me :)
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:24 pm

The worst case scenario, if you don't mind a circuitous routing, you can fly NRT-SYD-LAX-JFK all on Qantas. Maybe plead your case for a stopover. Qantas should be able to make space on their own metal, even if the award inventories are not available.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I would guess it is totally the problem of Qantas to reaccomodate you.
Before departure usually the ticketing carrier/TA is responsible in doing that.
Qantas tries to say that there is no award availability. Tough luck for Qantas. This is not your problem. Qantas has to cough up the money to rebook you.

I would send a formal letter to Qantas to demand a rebooking onto the next available flight.
It is important that you can prove that Qantas received the letter.
If Qantas fails to deliver, I would book the cheapest available replacement flight with your own money.
That money I would demand back from Qantas. In the worst case I would recommend to start a lawsuit.
This is how it would work in Europe! I do not know about Australian Law.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
I would guess it is totally the problem of Qantas to reaccomodate you.
Before departure usually the ticketing carrier/TA is responsible in doing that.
Qantas tries to say that there is no award availability. Tough luck for Qantas. This is not your problem. Qantas has to cough up the money to rebook you.
The travel agent is not responsible for the failure of the airline to operate the service other than obviously having to provide a refund

In Europe, the travel agent would also not be responsible, but the operating carrier is required under EU261 to re-accommodate the passenger
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The travel agent is not responsible for the failure of the airline to operate the service other than obviously having to provide a refund
Maybe I should have not mentioned TA in my sentence.
Until departure of the first leg, the responsibility lies with the ticketing carrier. It has to reaccomate you. After the first departure it is the responsibility of the operating carrier who caused the cancellation.

With EU261 you would indeed go after the operating carrier.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Maybe I should have not mentioned TA in my sentence.
Until departure of the first leg, the responsibility lies with the ticketing carrier. It has to reaccomate you. After the first departure it is the responsibility of the operating carrier who caused the cancellation.

With EU261 you would indeed go after the operating carrier.
Qantas is but a travel agent in this relationship; it has sold a ticket for travel on AA. QF is not accountable for the failings of AA other than to offer a refund. No different to any other travel agent.

In Europe there are specific protections that benefit passengers, but these are not in existance ( unfortunately ) in Australia. In this situation , even if ( for example ) BA issued the ticket , since it is a journey between Tokyo and USA, EU 261 wouldn't apply

What QF is doing in trying to liaise with AA and getting AA to provide a replacement is the appropriate action and hopefully between them they can offer another option

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 5, 2013 at 2:04 am
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I have some experience in this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-24-hours.html . Substitute Cathay Pacific Asia Miles for QFFFP.

In such instances, CX has to fix.
The canx segment was HND-JFK on AA, about 5 months out from departure date. At time of cancellation, there was no availability +/- two days on same route.
CX tried to force HND-DFW-JFK down my mate's throat (my miles, but my mate's travelling). Fortunately I left my mate's contact numbers and emails on the PNR to my mate on redemption and CX seems to have difficulty calling Australian mobiles from HK.
About 1 month out from departure date we saw a +1 day availabliity for NRT-JFK. I called CX to change my mate's redemption for it - CX tried to collect a change fee (transit --> stopover) but I successfully escalated and had the fee waived.

I also had another case where QF (this time as operating carrier) canx another Asia Miles redemption of mine http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...nges-5.html#66 . Again CX had to fix, and this time refused to seat me in one of their own redemption seats.

(This can be contrasted with the subsequent blown connection on the reseated flights, which QF had to fix)

CX AM rules may differ from QFFFP's in detail but I'm sure the responsibility for fixing OW partners' canx is similar.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 5, 2013 at 6:13 am
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:41 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What QF is doing in trying to liaise with AA and getting AA to provide a replacement is the appropriate action and hopefully between them they can offer another option
The alternative (and maximum extent of liability as far as QF is concerned) is refund miles and YQ without (passenger) cancellation fee should no alternative be available.

I'm not sure if QFFFP will let OP "sit" on the "illegal" ticket for a while waiting for avaiability to show up. CX AM (provided you can dodge their calls - something we in the CX forum are increasingly making a habit of cos CX never calls you for anything good) can but not sure about QFFFP.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by percysmith
The alternative (and maximum extent of liability as far as QF is concerned) is refund miles and YQ without (passenger) cancellation fee should no alternative be available.
Although that is about the absolute last thing that the OP wants to happen.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:46 am

Programs: QFF
I assume this is the HND-JFK flight which AA is ceasing at the end of November?
Oneworld options to JFK would only be the NRT-JFK on JL. Try asking about connections. HND-SFO-JFK, or NRT via LAX, DFW, ORD, SAN or BOS.
Or even the other way via HKG, LHR or HEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.