Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Emirates, Qantas and OneWorld lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I'm due to fly via Dubai from London, with both flights to and from Dubai being operated by Qantas.

I fear that what I suspect will be correct but if my ticket is issued by Emirates (but the flight is operated by Qantas), will my BA Executive Club Silver card allow me to access lounges in advance of the Qantas operated legs of the journey?

Many thanks for any help!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Per the rules the answer is No, unless your are on a QF flight marketed by QF:

Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use any lounge offered by any oneworld airline when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown.
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

IF you were on EK marketed, EK metal - definitely no access
If on QF marketed, QF metal - yes to access
If on EK marketed, QF metal - you might be able to blag access to the BA club, particularly if your boarding pass is QF, YMMV
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
"Ticket Issued by Emirates" - does that mean a ticket number beginning with "176- ..." or do you mean "Flight Number", as in EK1234?

If the latter then no lounge access. If a QF flight number then yes.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I read this as EK issued QF flight number, say QF1/2/9/10 in which case it's irrelevant who issued the ticket just the operating carrier and oneworld rules would apply out of LHR (and, I presume, DXB).

Now if it's issued as EK5001/EK5002 etc it should still be OK because on check-in you'd be issued a QF BP for the QF flight number, so the lounge dragons would see that and admit on that.

The only time you'd be in trouble if it's say QF8xxx or whatever an EK codeshare number would be for QF, and that would thus be an EK metal flight, and thus oneworld rules would not apply.

Clear as mud
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:10 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
And you will earn if trying to credit to BAEC:

QF flight number, QF operated - BA Avios and TP's
QF flight number, EK operated - BA Avios only
EK flight number - Nothing

I am guessing you have booked an EK flight number on QF metal, which earns nothing to BAEC.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Similar Situation JNB-SYD-JNB

Originally Posted by nux
And you will earn if trying to credit to BAEC:

QF flight number, QF operated - BA Avios and TP's
QF flight number, EK operated - BA Avios only
EK flight number - Nothing

I am guessing you have booked an EK flight number on QF metal, which earns nothing to BAEC.
Hi all,

I agree with above. I was on a similar ticket (JNB-SYD-JNB) which was SAA marketed but QF operated. No miles on UA or AA. No lounge access at JNB and SYD (Denied access at QF lounge and Air NZ lounge in SYD)

QF staff at SYD was very strict. They would not interline my baggage to my BA flight connection because the ticket was SAA marketed. No OW emerald privileges offered etc.

BA lounge in JNB and SQ lounge in SYD gave me access (because I am OW emerald and *G) but that is because they did not understand the rules ;-)

F.A.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi all,

I agree with above. I was on a similar ticket (JNB-SYD-JNB) which was SAA marketed but QF operated. No miles on UA or AA. No lounge access at JNB and SYD (Denied access at QF lounge and Air NZ lounge in SYD)

QF staff at SYD was very strict. They would not interline my baggage to my BA flight connection because the ticket was SAA marketed. No OW emerald privileges offered etc.

BA lounge in JNB and SQ lounge in SYD gave me access (because I am OW emerald and *G) but that is because they did not understand the rules ;-)

F.A.
This is the reason why you should avoid codeshares like a plague.
Depending on your Frequent flyer program you get sometimes no miles or any status benefits.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:54 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyalways

Hi all,

F.A.

This is the reason why you should avoid codeshares like a plague.
Depending on your Frequent flyer program you get sometimes no miles or any status benefits.
Sometimes you will earn more miles on a codeshare depending on FF program. A blanket statement of avoiding codeshares is not true.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by nux
Sometimes you will earn more miles on a codeshare depending on FF program. A blanket statement of avoiding codeshares is not true.
It would be more correct to state that in general one should avoid codeshares, but if you do travel on one, research all areas you may be concerned about including FF scheme earnings/status/lounge access.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 30, 2013 at 3:57 pm
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
Interestingly I recently travelled on a Qantas ticket on Qantas metal SYD-LHR lay over in DXB. Was allowed Emirates F lounge access in Dubai being BAEC Gold.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Originally Posted by funkyr
Interestingly I recently travelled on a Qantas ticket on Qantas metal SYD-LHR lay over in DXB. Was allowed Emirates F lounge access in Dubai being BAEC Gold.
Exactly as it should be. As a Oneworld Emerald, travelling on a Oneworld operated and marketed flight, you're entitled to access the applicable lounge according to your status. Had you been on the same flight but on EK ticket stock, it would most probably have been a very different story.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by inasmuchas
Exactly as it should be. As a Oneworld Emerald, travelling on a Oneworld operated and marketed flight, you're entitled to access the applicable lounge according to your status. Had you been on the same flight but on EK ticket stock, it would most probably have been a very different story.
It is correct that lounge access should be granted to the passenger in Dubai, but this is a specific special case with QF/EK and not a normal OW Emerald benefit

As an OW Emerald member, when flying on a flight both marketed by and operated by a OW carrier, then lounge acces to a OW lounge is an entitlement; Emirates is not a OW member
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:14 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inasmuchas
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkyr

The DXB lounge is not a OneWorld lounge. Unless travelling in F, or Emirates/Qantas Platinum I didn't think EK F lounge access was allowed.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by nux
The DXB lounge is not a OneWorld lounge.
Correct, however given that there is no oneworld lounge in concourse A at DXB, instead of losing non-QF elites to other oneworld carriers on the LHR route, QF provides lounge access as per oneworld lounge rules (must be oneworld ticket stock and metal) to the EK lounges. This is what Dave Noble has already stated.

It means non-QF oneworld elites flying a QF codeshare on EK metal would not be entitled to lounge access. It is strictly for the QF1/2/9/10 flights.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:08 am

Glad I did a search on this rather than start a new thread.

About to book LHR to PER in Economy and I am BA Silver card holder.

If I book with Qantas and the flights are Emirates metal, then will I get any lounge access, in particular in Dubai?

If not then I will stick with my normal BA booking via Singapore and enjoy my normal lounge access and excellent showers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.