Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum of 4 Qantas flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by savitar
Thanks, it might be the right idea EXCEPT that when I move back to OZ, I will not have access to BA when traveling in OZ, Asia and the US so would then lose it again and have to start up with Qantas.

I am just annoyed that I am a loyal One World traveler, exclusively using OW for travel but as I live in the UK I get set to NOTHING as I don't travel on Qantas, which is impossible for me....I guess loyalty is nothing to OW.
But where is your "loyalty" to Qantas ? if you have not flown 4 sectors on QF, hardly loyal to QF

I would suggest looking at the Aa scheme for quick n easy status plus not too hard to maintain
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:15 pm

Not my idea, simply asking if this was viable? Clearly not by your reaction...I have no idea if Amex tells CX of the card termination or how much refund you get, they might give 0 refund for all I know....

As for the AA status, that is not true from what I read on the AA site, you still need 2 a minimum of 4 AA flights a year....
Is it possible, maybe ; is trying to obtain services by deception something to aim for is another question

AA does not enforce any minimum flight requirements currently ; the term has been there for years, but not holding any meaning
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the suggestion.

The really annoying part is that I am moving back to OZ in Nov and will still be travelling but likely mostly in OZ / Asia, so if I move to BA / AA I will lose my status and not sure I can enough flights on BA / AA to keep the status....so I am stuffed either way!

Still wondering if anyone has actually tried to plead their case to Qantas and what the response was? The reason I ask is that years ago I was abou 50 credits short and Qantas wrote to me and said if I responded to the letter and explained why I believed I should stay on the status they would consider it, so I did and they kept me on Gold.....

You should write to Qantas and tell them why you cant complete the 4 qualifying flights, but tell them you are moving back to Australia in November and would have no problem qualifying the following year. I think they will almost definitely say yes, after all they don't want you defecting to Virgin when you return to Australia.

If they say no, the worse that will happen is that you will revert to Bronze. If you are moving back to Oz a few months later, you will then have the opportunity to earn higher status, and could buy Qantas Club membership to cover most of the benefits for the time you took to re-earn status.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Thanks, it might be the right idea EXCEPT that when I move back to OZ, I will not have access to BA when traveling in OZ, Asia and the US so would then lose it again and have to start up with Qantas.

I am just annoyed that I am a loyal One World traveler, exclusively using OW for travel but as I live in the UK I get set to NOTHING as I don't travel on Qantas, which is impossible for me....I guess loyalty is nothing to OW.
I mean the thing is, you could be member of other FF programs that does not require you to fly with them such as CX and AA, like I'm a QF FF only because their program favors flyers in an elite class of service. So the only times I actually fly QF are for the 4 required segments
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:05 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by jona970318
So the only times I actually fly QF are for the 4 required segments
UA just found a way to substantially stop this behaviour (for those that are USA based). Hoping QF doesn't go down the same road.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 4:10 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by og
UA just found a way to substantially stop this behaviour (for those that are USA based). Hoping QF doesn't go down the same road.
UA copied DL. I'd be worried about AA following with the same thing more then QF or any other non US airline.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
UA copied DL. I'd be worried about AA following with the same thing more then QF or any other non US airline.
Both though only apply this restriction to those living in North America
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by serfty
No, without the 4 ~'s the OP is likely to be dropped to NB.
A friend of mine was overseas, and didn't fulfill his 4 squiggles. He was given PS when his SG expired about 2 years ago. Not sure if this is a normal occurrence, but it does happen.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, QF Silver
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
A friend of mine was overseas, and didn't fulfill his 4 squiggles. He was given PS when his SG expired about 2 years ago. Not sure if this is a normal occurrence, but it does happen.
Thanks for this.

Its great to see so many constructive responses (we a few notable exceptions).

I guess I will give them a try and see what they say, they can only say no I guess.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QF Lad
You should write to Qantas and tell them why you cant complete the 4 qualifying flights, but tell them you are moving back to Australia in November and would have no problem qualifying the following year. I think they will almost definitely say yes, after all they don't want you defecting to Virgin when you return to Australia.

If they say no, the worse that will happen is that you will revert to Bronze. If you are moving back to Oz a few months later, you will then have the opportunity to earn higher status, and could buy Qantas Club membership to cover most of the benefits for the time you took to re-earn status.
Thanks, good suggestion....
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
But where is your "loyalty" to Qantas ? if you have not flown 4 sectors on QF, hardly loyal to QF

I would suggest looking at the Aa scheme for quick n easy status plus not too hard to maintain
I am 100% loyal to Qantas. When ever I fly to OZ (or somewhere where Qantas actually flys to) I fly qantas. How is it my fault if I CAN'T fly on Qantas but keep my loyalty to OW.

So you have your opinion, I have mine...
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Maybe QF do it on a case by case basis - the other anecdotes I have come across indicate no such.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF WP
Maybe QF do it on a case by case basis - the other anecdotes I have come across indicate no such.
Perhaps so... Looks like another one in the YMMV basket.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
No, without the 4 ~'s the OP is likely to be dropped to NB.
is this new? plenty of times I don't set foot on a qantas plane during the year... the soft landing is to one below your current status.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:18 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
is this new? plenty of times I don't set foot on a qantas plane during the year... the soft landing is to one below your current status.
I thought the soft landing related to failure to attain SCs rather than failure to attain the 4 ~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.