Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

6447 Qantas Points Due To Expire - How to spend based in UK or convert to Avios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6447 Qantas Points Due To Expire - How to spend based in UK or convert to Avios?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Qantas Frequent Flyer
Question 6447 Qantas Points Due To Expire - How to spend based in UK or convert to Avios?

Hi

I currently have 6447 Qantas Frequent Flyer points due to expire at the end of June 2013? It's a small balance but I would rather I could use them rather than letting them expire. I now collect Avios through British Airways Executive club so in an ideal world I would like to transfer them to Avios but there does not seem to be a transfer path. So I was wondering if anyone could help me and give me some options on how to transfer/spend the points?

I am British citizen living in London so looking at how to spend the points in the UK if possible?

Thanks
Old May 7, 2013, 9:36 am

No transfer paths that are worth it. Perhaps use it on merchandise in their store? You could buy a few more points to get to 8000 points then you can redeem on AA or BA for a redemption in the 0-600 mile range.

Do any family members have more points? You can transfer points to another account but it doesn't refresh them, it would just allow you to combine to some level that allows you to redeem on a partner.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to FlyerTalk. I have moved your question from the broad MilesBuzz! forum to our dedicated Qantas forum.

If you fly Qantas again you may wish to consider crediting the flight to BAEC rather than to the Qantas program.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by armovanbuuren
I currently have 6447 Qantas Frequent Flyer points due to expire at the end of June 2013? It's a small balance but I would rather I could use them rather than letting them expire. I now collect Avios through British Airways Executive club ...
Do you collect Avios from flying? Any activity in QF will give you another 18 months. So to keep my QF balance alive, one of my techniques is to throw the occasional BA short-haul flight into my QF account. Or an occasional hotel stay. I have even once planned to rent a car for 5 minutes (not even driving it away) but in the end didn't need to do that.

Doing this (particularly if at zero upfront cost) might eventually trickle your QF account over a threshold that means that you can use them for something.
Old May 8, 2013, 2:20 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If you know someone in Australia, you can signup to Woolworths Everyday Rewards and have them shop at Woolies which will put some points to Qantas and keep the balance alive.

Crediting BA economy flights to QF (or QF flights to BA) you will only earn 0.25 points/avios per mile.
Old May 8, 2013, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nux
Crediting BA economy flights to QF (or QF flights to BA) you will only earn 0.25 points/avios per mile.
Indeed, so I should have stressed the short in short-haul in my previous post!

What I was thinking was something like this, for example: DUR-JNB, which earns 125 points plus 10 Status Credits if credited to QF; a BA Blue doing this would forego 500 Avios plus 10 Tier Points, which is not a huge sacrifice for keeping the other QF points alive for another 18 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.