Search

FJ/QF codeshare and lounge access?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, SQ, GA
FJ/QF codeshare and lounge access?

Hi all,

I'm flying MEL-NAN on the weekend on the QF flight number, which I believe is an Air Pacific codeshare. I'm booked and paid in business.

Having recently reached Platinum, it was my understanding that I would have access to the international first lounge, if not the business lounge when I arrive in Melbourne. However while I get into Melbourne earlier in the evening, the flight to Fiji doesn't depart until 2330. I've just read on the Qantas website that both the first and business lounges in Melbourne shut at 1730? Is this seriously the case?

The flight is advertised as a Qantas flight. As a paid business class passenger on the QF/FJ codeshare I should have access to the Qantas lounges (since there is no Air Pacific lounge), and the Qantas and Air Pacific websites both clearly state this. Has anybody else come across this lounge access issue due to the flight leaving so late, and does anybody know whether I will get any lounge access at all? Or am I just going to be stuck for hours in the departure area?

Appreciate any information...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Yes, a QF flight number would entitle you to access.

My only experience late night Friday was last year, but after QF30 departed they closed the First lounge but kept the Business lounge open for the late NAN flight.

Going by this web page you may be SOL as far as Qantas lounges go:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...unge/global/en

Now it may just be that with the last regular QF flight now at 5:30pm the lounge is indeed closed then.

However, why don't you call the lounge and ask? (The numbers in the web page I linked to above.)

http://www.airpacific.com/Tabua-Club/Benefits

You could email [email protected] and ask.

As a lsat resort, being on a QF flight number you should be able to use the Domestic Business lounge until it closes after the last QF flight (~8pm?).
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:24 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by serfty
Yes, a QF flight number would entitle you to access....As a lsat resort, being on a QF flight number you should be able to use the Domestic Business lounge until it closes after the last QF flight (~8pm?).
There is a 10pm MEL-SYD flight, so the domestic J lounge is open until boarding for that flight (circa 9:45 pm). I can confirm that the MEL international lounges close around 5 pm now -- shame on QF, but I suppose it saves a lot of money and there are very few affected pax. They should pay for a hotel room for those pax that are flying QF internationally and unable to use the lounge due to this closure I suppose QF will say the J fare is lower for MEL-NAN on the QF codeshare to reflect the lack of lounge service After April 2013 you can presumably use the EK J lounge, which is open until 3 am as EK has a departure then.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There cannot be a 10pm MEL-SYD flight due to curfew!

FWIW, the last scheduled QF flights on QF Metal out of MEL this weekend are:

- this Friday: QF494 to SYD @9:00pm
- this Saturday: QF653 to PER @8:15pm
- this Sunday: QF653 to PER @8:15pm
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: QF, MH
I expect you will be out of luck with the first class lounge.

However as you are flying business class I would expect some sort of lounge access. There are MH, SQ and CX flights leaving about that time, it is possible Air Pacific have entered into an agreement to use one of their lounges at Melbourne for business passengers, rather than get Qantas to open their business lounge especially for the flight.

As suggested earlier best to ask Air Pacific what lounge access they provide for business class passengers for that flight.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by serfty
There cannot be a 10pm MEL-SYD flight due to curfew!
Yeah, yet another inaccuracy from number_6

Dave
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:20 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by thadocta
Yeah, yet another inaccuracy from number_6

Dave
Brilliant insight into helping the OP's question about FJ lounge access; I suppose that is how taxis in Katoomba operate, annoy the heck out of visitors and keep them from coming back Yet you wonder why tourism is down
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, SQ, GA
I contacted Air Pacific. Their response was that "Access to associated lounges is subject to the lounge operating hours".

They do not seem to have any alternative arrangement for when the Qantas lounge is closed.

Not happy, but it is what it is I suppose.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:12 am
Original Member

FJ is partly owned by QF (still, though QF is trying to sell out) and has used the QP as their "Tabua Club" lounge. Shame that MEL no longer qualifies as one of their airports that offers a lounge; I suppose you have the option to route via MEL-SYD-NAN, depending on your fare basis.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
I may be stuck in the situation as you. I have emailed QF and am waiting to hear back; in the meantime I am exploring use of the CX lounge. It should be open according to the website (until last CX departure), and in my understanding we should have access due to having a OW J ticket.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:34 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by WillR
...and in my understanding we should have access due to having a OW J ticket.
Your understanding is wrong, the Oneworld rule is very explicit: departing flight must be marketed and operated by a Oneworld airline. QF codeshare in FJ fails this requirement, sadly. Very annoying, but them are the rules. http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.