Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Can specific segments on a one-way ticket be upgraded to PE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:34 am
Original Poster

My wife and I are due to travel with Qantas from Wellington(NZ) to Perth (OZ) via Melbourne on 27th September and then from Perth to London (Heathrow) via Singapore on 11th October. Our tickets are for a one-way journey in economy and I was wondering whether it would it be possible to get upgraded to Premium Economy for just one sector of our journey, namely, on the sector from Singapore to Heathrow? Or would it be a case of us just going for 'pot luck' and we asking to be upgraded to PE at check-in altogether?

Any information in regard to my query would be appreciated.

TimOFlynn
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
The bottom line? Fairly simple (although much complicated by the almost incomprehensible capacity control and fare policies of all airlines).

You buy a one way from Point A to point B. The airline then must find some other [edited by moderator] to sell a one way to fill the seat coming back.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 27, 2012 at 10:38 am Reason: Per FT Rules.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:43 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
TimOFlynn, welcome to FlyerTalk.

As your question is specific to Qantas policies, the best place for this discussion will be in the dedicated Qantas forum, and I'll move this there, with a more specific thread title to help our members. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are wanting to use Qantas frequent flyer miles to upgrade 1 sector, then yes; just request the upgrade for that sector and see if it clears

If you want to do it with cash, then you will need to buy separate tickets for flights to Singapore in economy and then for Singapore to London in Premium Economy or purchase a Wellington - London fare in premium economy albeit that only SIN-LHR sector having PE

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 27, 2012 at 1:56 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:38 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
A few fare types do permit upgrade to PE by individual sector for cash. Cost is quite high, though (typically AUD 900 for SIN-LHR, for example). You'd have to check with QF whether your specific fare basis allows this (and whether you think the cost is worthwhile). Much cheaper to upgrade using QFF but availability is close to non-existent for that route on most days.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
SIN-LHR is a tough route for Y+. A very large number of people are willing to pay the extra fare. And the premium for the fare in SIN is likely a bit less than from Australia/New Zealand.

Separate tickets WLG-MEL-PER-SIN and SIN-LHR may have been your only choice. QF still has a few R class (discount Y+) seats but the T class (even cheaper Y+) normally have serious advance purchase requirements.

Happy wandering

Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.