Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Need advice for USA-Australia in J: QF versus Air Canada versus Virgin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice for USA-Australia in J: QF versus Air Canada versus Virgin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:35 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
UA has a highly polarizing effect. There are some pax who won't fly them unless there is no other choice (I'm in that category due to some things UA did years ago -- they are still being punished with revenue denial ) while others love them. Most consider DL superior trans-pacific, fwiw, and I would rate AC and NZ higher, and QF much higher. But some do love them, so UA must be doing something right. They do have a good 1K upgrade program.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:17 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
A UA backward facing seat gives great sleep in their flat beds. My only hesitation is that anyone over 6' may find those beds too short. As for UA meals, I do not understand why others suggest these are terrible. My experience has always been favourable with generous portion sizes and consistency in service (take note QF).

Conversely, the UA SFO lounge, while spacious, is dire in offerings. Even the celery and carrot seems to have gone. If you like pretzels, this is your place. The lounge is relatively clean because there is **** all food to drop on the floor. Oh, and you'll have to tip the bar-man if you want a drink from the bar

If flying *A Trans Pac and lounges are critical, then fly on AC via YVR. They also have longer beds (window side) than UA. Meal offerings are equal to UA.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og
A UA backward facing seat gives great sleep in their flat beds. My only hesitation is that anyone over 6' may find those beds too short. As for UA meals, I do not understand why others suggest these are terrible. My experience has always been favourable with generous portion sizes and consistency in service (take note QF).
At 6'1" I have found the seats to be fine nd would have no hesitation recommending the bed for those at that height; the meals on the transatlantic flights I took were dire, even AA was better; fortunately for the 1st flight I had been to pret a manger at heathrow and had some sandwiches for the flight

as far as lounge vs flight, my thought would be that if turning up a reasonable time before the flight, hopefully there will be less than an hour in the lounge vs 15 hours on an aeroplane ( if heading to oz )
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:41 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
as far as lounge vs flight, my thought would be that if turning up a reasonable time before the flight, hopefully there will be less than an hour in the lounge vs 15 hours on an aeroplane ( if heading to oz )
Absolutely no incentive to spend "lounge time" in SFO.

Last nights UA SFO-SYD was 14:15 in the air, and 2:45 in the seat prior to push back due to "Chicago administration". At one point during boarding, 100 pax were possibly facing being offloaded or the plane doing a fuel stop in HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.