Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas Gift Vouchers - Avoid credit card fees and get extra points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Gift Vouchers - Avoid credit card fees and get extra points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
IME but this is from the NZ based website to get First I had to go through the Sales page hit the First tab and then do the booking.
I just did a dummy one for CHC-SYD 14 February and it works.
I do not know how to redeem a voucher though.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Yea I have no problem doing a normal booking in First on the Qantas page Trans-Tasman (have done it a number if times), just having issues with the Voucher booking site.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:07 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
My understanding, from answers on another website, is that because the option isn't offered online, you may need to ring CS to book.

I bought $2,500 worth of vouchers (with various face values of $250 and $500), up from $1,500 last year.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:24 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
?..
I do not know how to redeem a voucher though.
CONSPIRACY THEORY: QF are very happy to sell the vouchers but not so happy for them to be redeemed - and structure their web site so people get pissed off, give up and go to the normal sales page. I have only had success in using mine by doing a search for "gift vouchers" then following the links to "redeem" or something similar. It's very clunky but eventually works. I got the feeling that not all options that were shown on the sales page are available through the gift voucher redemption section (but I could be mistaken).
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
Has anyone else come across this before? And is there a way around it? Given that the price for First is only a few hundred more than Business, i'd rather not have to select Business.
I've just tried running your search with my voucher and am encountering the same issue. How odd and most annoying. And yet the redemption engine has no problem showing MEL-SIN flights in first, operated by EK.

Might need to call QF to redeem the voucher over the phone.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:00 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
I bought a few of these for travel throughout the year.

I'm about to use another one (A$1000 value) and am trying to book a one-way (for my partner and I) from SYD to either CHC or AKL.

I'm pretty keen to utilise the Qantas First lounge in Sydney, and given that i've flown EK F in the a380 (AKL-SYD) previously I thought i'd try EK F in the 773 (SYD-CHC), which also means a later departure from SYD than the 8.45am SYD-AKL a380.

I've gone through the Qantas Gift Vouchers page to redeem my vouchers, but when I come to select my flights, for SYD-CHC it only gives me the option of selecting Economy or Business Class (not First Class). I was worried there might be a restriction meaning I could only use the vouchers on QF-metal, but that's not the case - it lets me select the EK-metal (QF codeshare) 773 in Business or Economy, just not First.

I've tried SYD-AKL and found the same problem.

I'm thinking that perhaps it has something to do with Qantas not flying the SYD-CHC/AKL routes in First, and they therefore don't list it as an option when redeeming vouchers.

Has anyone else come across this before? And is there a way around it? Given that the price for First is only a few hundred more than Business, i'd rather not have to select Business.

Thanks!
You should be able to call and pick the flight and redeem the voucher.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:50 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Also something that I did - in order to get the voucher bookings showing in my Manage My Booking section (future flights), I rang up QF CS and had my FF number put into each booking reference.

In previous years, I did this myself via BA's MMB, but couldn't get it to work this year. But it was relatively painless, as I had printed out the purchase page for each of the vouchers I had purchased (which showed the relocs). The CS guy thought this was an easy phone call.

Sure enough, as soon as I refreshed the page after the call, they were all showing.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
They're (half) back.
Gift voucher offer

5 Qantas Points~ for every AU$1 spent on Flight Gift Vouchers*

Plus earn Points for flights booked
Personalised messages
For up to 9 people
and much more...

* Qantas Flight Gift Vouchers are redeemable for one-way or return Qantas domestic or international flights departing Australia (excluding multi city, Classic Award or Any Seat Award bookings or optional extras such as additional baggage or seat selection) vouchers are valid for 12 months from date of issue. Only one voucher can be redeemed per booking. Vouchers are available in denominations of A$50, up to A$2000 and are non-refundable. The names of the voucher recipients may be changed when you redeem the voucher but the number of recipients cannot be changed (you cannot increase or decrease the total number of recipients). Vouchers can be redeemed online or through Qantas Contact Centres, however a booking fee applies through Qantas Contact Centres. Full voucher conditions are available at qantas.com/voucherterms.

~ You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program to earn and redeem Qantas Points for Qantas flight voucher purchases. Membership and Qantas Points are subject to the terms and conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. A joining fee applies. Offer valid for all flight voucher purchases made at qantas.com from 0.01am (AEDT) 1 December 2015 to 23.59pm (AEDT) 31 December 2015. To earn Qantas Points, members must include their Frequent Flyer number when purchasing vouchers. Qantas Points may take up to 8 weeks to be credited to your account.
http://www.qantas.com.au/christmas/

More terms: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...ions/global/en
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
BE CAREFUL, FOLKS!

In the case where you have used a voucher to book an itinerary and then need to cancel that itinerary.

The value of that itinerary gets converted to a credit voucher BUT the terms and conditions become reset as those for flight credits NOT the original gift voucher as originally bought. This is significant since now:

- You have to use the full value of the credit voucher, i.e., buy a fare equal or above that voucher value
(whereas gift vouchers can be part spent)
- You cannot change the name of the passenger (on gift vouchers you can)

On the other hand:

- You can combine more than one voucher per booking

By example: in Dec 2014 I bought two $2000 gift vouchers for two of us to fly business class return to HNL from BNE(-SYD) of value about $5,000 each. When I had to cancel these flights I ended up with two credit vouchers for $5,000 each with a minimum spend of $5,000 each!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTS), VA nothing, DL Skymiles
Hi Red-Roo,

If I purchase a multi-city international flight eg SYD-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD, could you clarfify I can't use a voucher for this flight? It seems weird I can't use a voucher if all these sectors are QF sectors?

Cheers, Gary

Last edited by Gary; Dec 29, 2015 at 7:35 pm
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gary
Hi Red-Roo,

If I purchase a multi-city international flight eg SYD-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD, could you clarfify I can't use a voucher for this flight? It seems weird I can't use a voucher if all these sectors are QF sectors?

Cheers, Gary
You can not use flight vouchers for multi-city bookings. Have a read of the terms and conditions here.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Multi-city bookings aren't possible using these gift vouchers, as stated above.

However SYD-JFK-SYD would be possible on QF11/12.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:07 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
And be aware that it is now 2016 in Australia so the extra points have finished for this promotion.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Platy
BE CAREFUL, FOLKS!

In the case where you have used a voucher to book an itinerary and then need to cancel that itinerary.

The value of that itinerary gets converted to a credit voucher BUT the terms and conditions become reset as those for flight credits NOT the original gift voucher as originally bought. This is significant since now:

- You have to use the full value of the credit voucher, i.e., buy a fare equal or above that voucher value
(whereas gift vouchers can be part spent)
- You cannot change the name of the passenger (on gift vouchers you can)

On the other hand:

- You can combine more than one voucher per booking

By example: in Dec 2014 I bought two $2000 gift vouchers for two of us to fly business class return to HNL from BNE(-SYD) of value about $5,000 each. When I had to cancel these flights I ended up with two credit vouchers for $5,000 each with a minimum spend of $5,000 each!
How is this any different to any other form of payment? Whether you pay by cash, BPay, credit/debit card, whatever, if you book and then refund, you don't get your original form of payment back, you get a credit voucher, why would using gift vouchers be any different?

If it were otherwise, you would be able to make a non-refundable airfare ll of a sudden refundable.

Dave
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
How is this any different to any other form of payment? Whether you pay by cash, BPay, credit/debit card, whatever, if you book and then refund, you don't get your original form of payment back, you get a credit voucher, why would using gift vouchers be any different?

If it were otherwise, you would be able to make a non-refundable airfare ll of a sudden refundable.

Dave
Er - not true in all cases.

For example, you can pay cash for a flexible / refundable airfare and get cash back - you don't have to accept the credit voucher.

Of course QF tries to lock you into a future spend by issuing a credit voucher since it commits you to future spend with the airline, and a minimum future spend at that and has the benefit of cash asset until you bother or remember to redeem the voucher.

Remember, in such cases you are paying a significant premium on the fare to buy a flexible/refundable fare when you want / need the freedom to change or cancel your trip.

In any case, I'm not expecting cash back when cancelling a refundable airfare paid by gift voucher, but I am expecting the original gift voucher conditions to be honoured.

Apart from the fact you argument is factually wrong, QF has a legal obligation to inform its consumers at the time of purchase and the purchase is being made when you buy the gift voucher....

...QF states certain terms and conditions when you purchase the gift vouchers - these are different to the terms and conditions for credit vouchers (as listed above).

QF is forcing a change in terms and conditions onto the consumer the moment the voucher is redeemed - if that's their game they should tell the consumer at the time of purchasing the gift voucher.

I remember a similar situation when I had bought a Jetstar Star Class ticket - when I wanted to change the ticket (it was flexible under the original terms and conditions of purchase) the booking system tried to force a new set of terms and conditions onto me (the product was on the process of changing to "Business" and the terms were tightened up in favour of the airline) - I challenged the airline and got a full refund (JQ doesn't refund a refundable ticket once you have changed the date of travel - sneaky stuff) when they realised they were legally in error.

Oh, and, arguments along the lines, "that's how it always happens and therefore you should have known" just don't have any weight or relevance in excusing QF's failure to abide by consumer law or even make a reasonable attempt at wholesome customer relationships.

Incidentally, QF did eventually honour the original terms and conditions on the gift vouchers I had bought last year after cancelling original bookings made with them, so I guess they realised they had an obligation to do so....

Final thought, the "pub test", aka what's reasonable...I doubt that the vast majority of consumers buying gift vouchers would be stopping to question whether the terms and conditions would be subject to a forced change at time of redemption because they should have known those are the rules that apply for a cash purchase.

Last edited by Platy; Dec 31, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.