Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Value of Platinum (published or unpublished) benefit to create classic award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Value of Platinum (published or unpublished) benefit to create classic award

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: QFF
I've had QF open D seats for me twice now. Both times on the evening CBR-SYD flight to connect to QF21.
The first time I was silver, second time platinum.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Do you mean business award seats (U) or Discount business revenue seats (D)?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:40 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by serfty
Do you mean business award seats (U) or Discount business revenue seats (D)?
I mean D. I was booking a DAS13 each time. The flight was showing around J6, C7, D0, U3.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:55 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Yes but that is a different website.
Also some of us left AFF for various reasons so I am not one for complete harmonization.
Hooray! Someone FINALLY gets it...
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
[OFF TOPIC]
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Hooray! Someone FINALLY gets it...
Principle is a fine thing, and I respect it.

But the reality is there's basically a far greater amount of useful information in relation to Antipodean Frequent Flying/Loyalty Schemes posted/available on AFF than on FT these days.

It's not an accident that the "Red Roo" handle has 46 posts at .11 per day on FT but 201 at .48 on AFF, ~4½ time the rate. (FWIW "Virgin Australia" has 35 post here at .18 per day here and 254 at .59 per day on AFF)

I referred to AFF because it was topical and may have been of assistance in this thread. I will continue to do so where I deem it of assistince to FT thread and appropriate.

Both sites are commercial. Please don't discount AFF references when it may be beneficial due to principal.
[/OFF TOPIC]

As for an acronym, such is the diversification of members here, that any mini impertinent acronym to represent QFF Platinum One members should do. In reality it's up to the individual as to what one prefers to use.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
This thread has brought up some interesting comments. Note that we are talking about the creation of U, and not D inventory with this supposed benefit.

Some contributors have had successful experience in the past with this benefit. My question would be was it before the creation or P1?

Due to my lack of success with being able to score one award seat on a First class flight (QF29) on Dec 26 (Boxing day, holiday season), with F9A8 availability, I suggest that this benefit is worth very little now to Platinums. There is no way that Qantas are going to sell atleast 9 First Class seats on this flight for cash. This suggests to me that this benefit is now worth very little to Platinum frequent flyers.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:32 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
I'm an optimist. As a WP I've been deficient in my knowledge regarding benefits to secure un-seen F & J award seats therefore, I've spent many a point on CX & BA.

I've tried recently to release seats via the WP line....not successful however, I'm embolden by other members tales that they've been successful in accomplishing this dark art.

Last edited by amaroo; Nov 24, 2011 at 3:38 am
Old Nov 24, 2011, 4:07 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MOR
This thread has brought up some interesting comments. Note that we are talking about the creation of U, and not D inventory with this supposed benefit.

Some contributors have had successful experience in the past with this benefit. My question would be was it before the creation or P1?

Due to my lack of success with being able to score one award seat on a First class flight (QF29) on Dec 26 (Boxing day, holiday season), with F9A8 availability, I suggest that this benefit is worth very little now to Platinums. There is no way that Qantas are going to sell atleast 9 First Class seats on this flight for cash. This suggests to me that this benefit is now worth very little to Platinum frequent flyers.
One data point does not a conclusion make. As I said earlier, I was able to get a seat in First SYD-LHR on QF1 on 21 December 2011. I requested this last Friday, after P1's creation. This was the exact date I wanted, but I would have accepted +/- 10 days.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Some historical perspective and some data points (which may or may not be correct) on this, from when I used to be a platinum (Apr 2002-Jan 2011):

- Originally you could put in a request for pretty much any class on any flight - domestic or international, it went off to yield management and you heard back within a certain period of time - sometimes quickly, or if a weekend you might have to wait. I know once I had a Y seat opened up on a very full MEL-PER flight. [and of course there weren't phone booking fees for platinums back then].
- Then domestic requests were dropped, I was advised could no longer request domestic.
- Next (circa 2008/9) the process went fully automated, and requests were submitted to computer and seemed to processed almost straight away. I was advised that they couldn't send off a request unless there was a D availability (for business class) or Q (for economy). Don't know if this was true or not but sounds right. I certainly felt that success rates for requests dropped.
- Also added service fee for requests which was refunded if request not successful, but not if request was successful (ie phone booking fee) (irrespective of chosing to ticket or not).

Of course YMMV.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by MOR
Dare I suggest this has been left wide open for an exclusive Platinum One benefit.

I called up the special services team this week to book a SYD-SIN in F (a380) just after Christmas and a return in J very early in the New Year. Clearly there is no award availability online at all, but they say to call the P1 team to book flights if you can't find them online.

30minutes later I have 2x confirmed tickets on the flights I wanted, in F over the busiest travel period of the year.

Flights were showing F5 A3 when I booked FYI....
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
Those of us who were at the AFF lunch had a bit more background about this, described over there.

In a nutshell - standard WP members can place requests for seats to be released but they rely on discount J or F being available (from memory its A for First and D for biz) and yield management being agreeable to the request.

The basic understanding of how these requests will be treated is based upon time of year, availability of revenue vs award, etc. I'd suggest that Boxing Day, being one of the biggest travel days of the year, would likely be blacked out for these award conversions unless you have P1 Special Services doing it.

Platinum One can do this directly through Special Services, and can take classic award seats from the highest level of revenue fare bucket - F and J. Special Services have direct access to perform these conversions and do not require yield management to release the seats.

Domestically you can still get them to open up seats as WP (I did this only a couple of weeks ago) but only in J.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:12 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by bugayev

Domestically you can still get them to open up seats as WP (I did this only a couple of weeks ago) but only in J.
Shame really as this automatically excludes all QantasLink flights.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
Just tried this for the very first time - didn't know it existed - for QF73 in April.

The paid booking classes look like:
J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G0 E9
so I was a bit surprised that my request for a BC seat was declined.

Are there any insights how to get the award after all - by requesting it closer to the daparture date, or by looking at a certain paid class and its availability ?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:03 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Unofficially some days of the week are always denied according to internal policy.

Also, being a weekend revenue management aren't working to manually review your request.

Are you WP or higher?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:32 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Some flights won't have any seats released for lowly WPs - even if it's J C D I 9s. Typically these are North American during peak Oz holiday season. P1 or CL may have more leverage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.