Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help - Points Expire in 3 Days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Help - Points Expire in 3 Days

Yes, I know I should've been more on the ball with this but would appreciate the wisdom of fellow FT'ers.

I'm a Canadian who did a few legs to Australia a few years back and I got a Qantas FF # - have about 16,000 points in the account but they're due to expire at the end of July. No plans to travel there again in the next few years.

Any suggestions on the best way to keep them active? I think you can only top up if you're getting an award seat.

Would appreciate your ideas as I suspect they're worth a couple hundred.

Thanks as always for your insights!

Neilmactor
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Lots of easy ways, but most won't post before July 31, and then you might have a fight. You could buy a bandit.fm download voucher for 3,500 points, which is electronic and posts immediately. Otherwise, car hire from Avis or Budget or hotel stay but may not post in time. Or send flowers to someone in Australia (QF Flowers owns QFF points, but not FTD affiliated so Australia-destinations only).
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: QF Plat (OWE), VA Plat, HH DMD, Accor Plat
You're my long lost cousin aren't you? Send them to me :P

In all seriousness though, what number_6 suggested might be the best way. Redeem as little points as you can for something that might be useful, especially if you don't expect to have any other activity over the next few years.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cousin Neilmactor & Cousin Ewing
Originally Posted by Ewing
You're my long lost cousin aren't you? Send them to me
But if our long lost cousin gives them to you that does not count as activity [ ] so any remaining points go to heaven

Similar topic:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...-use-them.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 29, 2011 at 2:16 am
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even though you have no plan to travel to Australia, do you have any need for a flight on AA. You could use points for a oneway flight of up to 1200 miles on AA or a round trip of up to 600 miles each way. As long as you book the flight before the points expire you have up to a year to travel

Dave
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You could use points for a oneway flight of up to 1200 miles on AA or a round trip of up to 600 miles each way.
Or a one way business class AA flight ex-YYZ of up to 600 miles.

Basically the 600 miles gets flights YYZ- ORD, NYC & BOS and connections to Washington via NYC. 1200 miles can get further down the coast via NYC, or across to Bermuda and maybe even DFW.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
How about intra-Europe flights on AA? Or a gift card ($25) from Qantas Box Office? That might post faster.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Smile

thanks for all the suggestions, just to close the loop.

Ended up going with the $25 bandit.fm download. Although it's a download voucher they actually mail it out so had to give an address in Australia. Hopefully someone at the charity office address I gave can enjoy it when they realize no one by my name works there.

Thanks for all your ideas. Shame on me for not getting on it sooner!

Neilmactor
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:08 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by neilmactor
....Ended up going with the $25 bandit.fm download. Although it's a download voucher they actually mail it out so had to give an address in Australia. ....
Interesting; I bought one about a year ago as a gift and it was sent as an email (would have preferred a gift card, maybe that is why they have changed it from being all-electronic).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.