Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: QF to add SYD-DFW but drop SYD-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It does surprise me that jkm024 could ot get BP's for QF008 when checking in at DCA; flying on AA from DFW and connecting to QF at LAX I have not had this issue. Maybe it was an agent thing.

As posted, there should be no problem with having your bags checked all the way from IAD - you should not see them again until you arrive in Australia.

jkm024 mentions getting the BP's at the gate but two hours before and 'lost their seats'.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 20, 2011 at 8:54 pm
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:59 pm

Um, staff would never ever be able to bump anyone from a selected seat. If I asked ground staff to do that, I'd kindly be told to go away.

I could only ever ask to be seated in a seat thats not allocated.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by serfty
It does surprise me that jkm024 could ot get BP's for QF008 when checking in at DCA; flying on AA from DFW and connecting to QF at LAX I have not had this issue. Maybe it was an agent thing.
Know what you're saying serfty but I had the same issue - connecting AA-QF and AA was unable to issue me the boarding pass at point of origin. Don't know why - maybe because it was a small airport and they didn't have a lot of international experience? However e-ticket was fine for access to AC.

Bags were not an issue - correctly tagged with O/W priority.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Does the QF lounge issue BP's? I take it the DFW Ad Club could not help either regarding the issuance of BP's ??
TrojanHorse - Not sure about the QF Club, but the Admirals Club could not issue my boarding passes either. As others have said, my bags were tagged through to SYD, so that was not an issue, I simply could not get my boarding passes at AA checkin.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:06 am

Programs: QFF
AA was able to issue boarding passes for me in May at SJC for LAX-SYD and SYD-CBR. Maybe it's an issue related to DFW.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
AA was able to issue boarding passes for me in May at SJC for LAX-SYD and SYD-CBR. Maybe it's an issue related to DFW.
I'm thinking it may be more a training issue. West Coast locations should be used to QF connections at LAX and SFO.

DFW is not the issue in that respect; maybe it's QF8?

I suggest any who have this issues, please send feedback to Qantas.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkm024
TrojanHorse - Not sure about the QF Club, but the Admirals Club could not issue my boarding passes either. As others have said, my bags were tagged through to SYD, so that was not an issue, I simply could not get my boarding passes at AA checkin.
There is no QF club per se at DFW - only a shared lounge.

But it's not really an issue - it's a 5 minute (without hand luggage) trip out into arrivals and to the QF check-in desk.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

But it's not really an issue - it's a 5 minute (without hand luggage) trip out into arrivals and to the QF check-in desk.
I could not get Boarding Passes a couple of weeks ago for QF8 flying MCO-MIA-DFW-SYD-CBR, however could get them inside the Qantas Lounge at DFW - so no need to re submit yourself to security.

Flying it again on Friday, see how we go.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AN-Diamond
I could not get Boarding Passes a couple of weeks ago for QF8 flying MCO-MIA-DFW-SYD-CBR, however could get them inside the Qantas Lounge at DFW - so no need to re submit yourself to security.

Thanks for that.

Going by the description of the venue being used with a main entry where one is directed to the appropriate lounge, has they set up a "service Desk" within the lounge dedicated to QF after 6pm?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by AN-Diamond

thats good to know..

Thanks for that.

Going by the description of the venue being used with a main entry where one is directed to the appropriate lounge, has they set up a "service Desk" within the lounge dedicated to QF after 6pm?
what he asked???

Assuming there aren't any delays on the IAD-DFW end, I'll post the process that I used with the QF lounge, QF service desk if applicable etc.. I'll even ask on the IAD end why the processing of QF BP's can't be done. Hopefully I can document this in decent detail
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for that.

Yes that is correct.

You enter the club complex and take the elevator to the appropriate floor, once there you are greeted by a general lounge agent who checks your BP and directs you to the QF designated lounge.

He also explains there are communal showers (as in shared between all the lounges) and a communal smoking room.

Once you enter the QF lounge proper there are two or three staffers dedicated to QF. They check your boarding pass again (and presumably assists with any issues such as issuing a new BP etc).
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:16 am

Yes that is correct.

You enter the club complex and take the elevator to the appropriate floor, once there you are greeted by a general lounge agent who checks your BP and directs you to the QF designated lounge.

He also explains there are communal showers (as in shared between all the lounges) and a communal smoking room.

Once you enter the QF lounge proper there are two or three staffers dedicated to QF. They check your boarding pass again (and presumably assists with any issues such as issuing a new BP etc).
Just as an update - I am now flying QF12 back from LAX, got a phone call yesterday morning saying they were offloading PAX from the DFW flight.

I made some comment about QF8 being bit of a disaster, and the Qantas guy agreed, said that it was a silly route that they didn't have the right equipment to fly (should have waited for the 787's).

Was in Premium Economy (in a sky bed seat) DFW-SYD, now in Y DFW-LAX, and J LAX-SYD on QF12. Asked for F DFW-LAX, denied lol. Annoys me to be shifted to a flight with no food and a crap seat for 3 hours but oh well.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:32 am

Why did Qantas never order Airbus 340-500 aircraft if it did not want Boeing 777 aircraft (for god knows what reason?)

I am assuming there would be some degree of commonality between the A330 and A345, and the A345 would be perfect for routes such as SYD-DFW. A subfleet of 4-5 aircraft could have worked well for QF.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by littl_flier;16742033From my understanding, the reason for the diversion was due to the J and W cabins being oversold and far too many pax onboard (basically at capacity as opposed to the restricted payload we have been hearing about). At check-in, the passenger next to me [b
was downgraded from J to W (but in a sky bed)[/b] and W pax were downgraded to Y in the W seats.
(emphasis is mine)

Could you clarify this for me? "Someone was downgraded from J to W (but in a skybed)" Do you mean they were offering business class seats but with premium economy services?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:50 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
and I don't mean the kind where I didn't get us seated together

I'm referring to the example above where the F Seats were downgraded to J seats (the 4A-4K example above)

I'm in 1A/2A/1K both ways on award tix with my kids.

I'm hoping that they don't move us around. that said and done, I know seat selection maps are not reliable but thats all i have to go by; it appears that the outbound is still half open in the F seats and J is pretty open as well (~45% available for selection)and their shouldn't be a ton of concern on my part, the return though in a few weeks is a bit dicier where only one F seat remains open for selection but J seems wide open regarding seat selection.

anyone know why or probably more importantly how they are selecting who gets what seats

if it makes a difference, I'm AA EXP, kids are no status

thx
If you are all in one PNR and/or share the same surname, that will help.

I've gotten on-board J->F op-ups on QF twice (once flying as a BA Gold, the other as AA EXP). While I suspect there's no hard rule, my experience has been QF on-board staff have been very kind to me as an OW-E. Beyond the two op-ups to F (is there any kinder gesture than that?), the majority of the time I'm thanked for being an Emerald pax by one of the cabin staff.

Also, in rows 1 and 2, there is no bassinet risk - as they are in row 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.