Search

A newbie with questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints
Smile A newbie with questions

Hello there,

I've been planning a number of flights next year on Qantas using my friend's points. I'll probably be flying WLG-MEL-ADL-CNS-BNE-SYD-WLG, and I had a couple questions. I've tried doing research myself but I'm completely new to how things work for Qantas and my head's spinning at this point from the info I've been reading

1. WLG-MEL, MEL-ADL and SYD-WLG are in business class, while ADL-CNS is jetstar, and CNS-BNE and BNE-SYD are both in economy. I have no idea about what booking class they'd be under - the idea of booking classes is a bit overwhelming...so many letters! How do you figure out which booking class the ticket is made under? Or do you have to already have the ticket booked in order to see that info?

2. I made the itinerary by using the multi-city tool under Qantas and Partner Classic Awards. From a previous thread, it said that you only earn status credits if you book a Qantas & Jetstar Any Seat Award. Am I right in assuming I won't get any status credits for the trans-tasman flights? Would I get any status credits for the flights within Australia? Would these flights within Australia count under economy or discount economy when looking at the status credits table (if I am to get any status credits anyway)? I'm guessing you don't earn any points from award flights?

3. In light of all of this, is there much point of me opening a QF FF account? Any way of getting around the $50 charge? e.g. Air NZ often has promotional codes to get a free FF membership etc. I tried seeing how many status credits I would get for the whole itinerary, but I don't know the answers to the above questions. 82.50AUD seems awfully steep for Aussie residents to have to pay!

4. For those who have been to the QF lounge in WLG, what is it like? Only thing I can see from the website is that it has computers and showers. Couldn't find anyone talking about the lounge in previous threads. Actually, isn't the current "Wild at heart" lounge in WLG a lounge converted from the old Qantas WLG lounge or is that a different one? I'm also considering going via AKL instead, so how does the AKL QF lounge compare with the WLG one? I read that the WLG lounge only opens 90mins before departure...is this rule strictly enforced?

Thanks for any help on these questions. I think some of these questions may not make sense, and am ready to clarify if needed

Last edited by 1aaa; Sep 26, 2010 at 1:27 am
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:33 am

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
If you're booking a Classic award you will not earn any points. If you are doing an Any Seat Award, it will count for discount economy.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bugayev
If you're booking a Classic award you will not earn any points. If you are doing an Any Seat Award, it will count for discount economy.
Are the economy legs within Australia counted as a Classic award booking then? Any point in booking those economy legs separately as a Any Seat Award? Would that even work?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: NZ (LT Koru); QF (WP & LTG); FJ (Tabua)
Don't have my mind around all the complicated stuff in your first three questions, but re Q4: the Wild at Heart lounge took over the old QF domestic lounge. There is a separate international lounge airside (after immigration) and have only been there a few times in the last year or so but I recall services/facilities as being all you'd expect, and with a very nice ambience. Not sure about opening time, but presume lounge is closed after early morning QF118 to SYD, and will then open again for your QF38 to MEL (and for QF48 to SYD), and others here may be able to comment on the 90 minute before departure opening time that you've heard about. Your friend may have had to travel/spend real hard to get those points, so hope you enjoy and appreciate the gifted journey!!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:37 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Welcome to FlyerTalk 1aaa another WLG person is always welcomed.
From the sounds of your intinerary you frined has booked you a Classic award, can explain why you have some Economy (WHY) flights, so you get no points or status credits.
Unless you plan on flying QF or oneworld airlines some more I do not suggest you register for QF FF membership.

Now lounge in WLG is indeed different from the Wild at Heart Lounge, which is the old domestic Qantas Club. There will be some food offering, depending upon the time of day, morning or afternoon, always alcoholic drinks and soft drinks, coffee machine. Showers will have Molten Brown shampoo and liquid soap, and the business centre does have computers, fax and photocopier.
Opening time is actually dependent upon when Customs opens for departure immigration, generally 90 minutes before the first international departure, 04:30 am or 02:30 pm. Do not forget the $25 Departure Fee, you can buy it from the QF Business Class check in or the Travelex/Postshop.
Enjoy your flights on QF....good luck with Jetstar....
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:43 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Firstly, according to the terms of the programme, members can only redeem points for eligible family members. While QF won't ask you to prove your family relations (at least I haven't heard of them doing that), just be aware that your friend is running a risk there.

In terms of booking classes, I believe 'X' is for economy awards and 'U' is for business awards.

As to the WLG lounge in the international terminal, it's nothing special. It's past Immigration and security, it's not the 'Wild at Heart' lounge. It's just a nice area to sit. There's free finger food and drinks. There're also computers to use and a TV to watch. There isn't much to do in there, so you're likely to be bored if you spend anything more than an hour there. I'm not sure if they only open 90 minutes prior to departure. You probably don't want to get there more than 90 minutes prior especially if you're on the morning flight anyway.

The AKL lounge is about the same, just bigger.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the responses! I should've been more clear, my friend is using his points to book flights for both him and I, but strangely I'm the one in charge of doing the bookings (long story) Will that still be in breach of the terms and conditions if he uses his miles for him and I because I'm not a family member? The flights are still a gift though, so I am very very appreciative!

We are not from Wellington but thought it would be easier to go via Wellington than Auckland (we're both in the south island). I wished I lived in Wellington though, it would make things so much easier! We have economy flights because I wanted to maximise the use of my friend's points haha. I have no qualms about economy, but my friend may grumble a bit

Good to hear about the lounge in WLG. Only looking for a place to relax and grab a tiny bit of food/drink anyway before the flight so anything is appreciated. Thank you for reminding me about the WLG departure fee...nearly forgot! >< The super early morning flight from AKL to MEL would be a bit too troublesome I think (and the late one too).

I will not be flying much QF or on OneWorld, so I don't think the FF membership is worth it at this point.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by 1aaa
Will that still be in breach of the terms and conditions if he uses his miles for him and I because I'm not a family member? The flights are still a gift though, so I am very very appreciative!
Yes, he will still be in breach.

Eligible family members are defined here.

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/...efamilymembers

QF will ask about the relationship (just not necessarily 'prove' it). I believe 'de facto' is defined as both people having the same address.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
We are not from Wellington but thought it would be easier to go via Wellington than Auckland (we're both in the south island).
Could you not look at the QF flights from CHC or ZQN, or is there no availability?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wiluk
Could you not look at the QF flights from CHC or ZQN, or is there no availability?
No direct flight to MEL from CHC or ZQN that has business class. Getting to WLG isn't very expensive anyway.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
No direct flight to MEL from CHC or ZQN that has business class. Getting to WLG isn't very expensive anyway.
Fair enough, I thought you could route CHC-SYD-MEL, but I suppose WLG-MEL is just as easy for you.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:43 pm

To be honest, I'd consider flying out of AKL than WLG, especially if you're on points. There're more flights out of AKL, and therefore, more likely to have award seats. Some flights out of AKL are on better planes than those out of WLG too.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you for bringing that up! I hadn't looked at the aircraft carefully enough and assumed incorrectly that all the flights to and from MEL/SYD ex. WLG and AKL were either on the 737-400 or 737-800. Now I'm looking at QF114 for a chance to experience the skybed. Not a very long flight but it looks a lot nicer than the 737 business class seats. Award availability seems really good both ex. WLG and AKL because I'm booking quite a bit ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.