Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas to roll out faster check in technology

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Taken from http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...-31037,00.html

QANTAS says it is aiming to halve check-in times for customers at CityFlyer ports with new technology to be rolled out across Australia, starting in Perth.
Chief executive Alan Joyce says the Qantas' Airport of the Future initiative will begin next year with the introduction of next generation check-in.

"Qantas Frequent Flyers' cards will be embedded with an intelligent chip, transforming them into personal boarding passes linked to permanent bag tags," Mr Joyce said in a statement today.
Considering the new cards they have issued have barcodes, is it possible they have actually put an RFID in them as well and no one has noticed? Or are they going to have to re-do everyones cards.

Of interest is this is QP/PS/SG/WP (and presumably CL) only. NB are SOOL here
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
Will test a new QFF card tomorrow and see if it contains any contactless technology. Let's hope that it's not RFID but uses ISO 14443/NFC protocol (as per future iPhones). Also hopefully with some security, but I guess that's too much to expect.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grov
Will test a new QFF card tomorrow and see if it contains any contactless technology. Let's hope that it's not RFID but uses ISO 14443/NFC protocol (as per future iPhones). Also hopefully with some security, but I guess that's too much to expect.
NFC for "future iphones" has 'supposedly' been seen in engineering samples of the next gen iPhone and is not anywhere near confirmed.

I read an interesting article on the lack-of NFC take up recently. It pretty much said how Nokia was pushing hard for takeup and telcos/merchants were largely indifferent. It was not making any money for them so no one bothered.

Banks, however, are now trying to push paypass and similar. Banks are going to be the people who drive NFC in the near future. Even Visa/MC/AMEX are slack here (AMEX still don't have chips on the majority of their cards here, and MC are not starting to force banks to roll out chips in Australia for some time) - when compared to the UK where it's been Chip+PIN for some time, we're way behind on that.

I'm hoping that NFC is on the new iPhone, but it's nothing more than rumour and conjecture at this stage (just like any Apple product that has not been released/announced).

Oh, and there was an actual transcript from Alan Joyce that's been quoted on AFF (not sure where it's from as its source was from a QF staff member - Can't find it online yet) from his national press club speech. Other 'enhancements' include permanent bag tags for QP/PS and above, with quick-drop facilities for Elites. Go check out AFF in the QF forum if you're interested.

Curious as to how you plan on testing this? (was just examining my WP card to see if I could see much, but I can't - much like my Oyster card, it's not at all visible if it's totally embedded at manufacture).
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

move along nothing to see here

Last edited by drewbles; Nov 10, 2009 at 9:28 pm Reason: incorrect post
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
So are they modeling this off the NZ system, where you just drop your bag on the belt your self?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
So are they modeling this off the NZ system, where you just drop your bag on the belt your self?
That's what it appears to be yes. Check the AFF post for the full transcript with info (I won't copy it without permission)
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by drewbles
That's what it appears to be yes. Check the AFF post for the full transcript with info (I won't copy it without permission)
I believe that was posted by a Qantas (Neo/)insider.

Here's a link: http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...tas-20170.html

Last edited by serfty; Nov 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
Originally Posted by drewbles
Curious as to how you plan on testing this?
That's what I do a lot of for a living, every day, for the last 15 years.
Try flexing your card across the diagonal corners and slowly moving it around under a light - you should be able to see the chip. (Not too close to a halogen light, if you don't want permanent warps in your card.)
Tried this - no sign of a chip, so not worth investigating more using electronic means.

Only comment on iPhone, NFC and eCash is to say that I don't believe Apple would have invested USD1.5b. in a massive data farm just to sell apps.

Last edited by grov; Nov 11, 2009 at 5:53 pm
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

That's what I do a lot of for a living, every day, for the last 15 years.
Try flexing your card across the diagonal corners and slowly moving it around under a light - you should be able to see the chip. (Not too close to a halogen light, if you don't want permanent warps in your card.)
Tried this - no sign of a chip, so not worth investigating more using electronic means.
As I hold a personal interest in this kinda stuff (just find it really interesting) You've enlightened me on something today I wonder why they bothered to put the bar code on them then. Perhaps the new cards are a temporary measure until they re-launch new ones (Well, obviously they are!).

Only comment on iPhone, NFC and eCash is to say that I don't believe Apple would have invested USD1.5b. in a massive data farm just to sell apps.
Yes/no. Apple also now have a very very large market for movies and tv shows in the USA. The interesting part is they use Akamai just about everywhere for their content delivery options. Interesting times (and I hope you're right, as it would be great to have one device with a NFC chip in it, allowing me to all but eliminate my wallet over the coming years). I'm sure it'll happen eventually though.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:10 am

Programs: QFF
So... if the boarding pass is on a chip in the membership card, how will you know your seat number?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:28 am

Programs: QF PS, NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Himeno
So... if the boarding pass is on a chip in the membership card, how will you know your seat number?
On NZ, when you scan your ePass, the machine prints out your seat number.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:55 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Will test a new QFF card tomorrow and see if it contains any contactless technology. Let's hope that it's not RFID ...
The press release I just read from QF states that it is RFID. Also that the baggage dropoff is based on the NZ system. And also used for security identification. So QF is addressing all 3 activities pre-lounge ... nice. Plus that this is just the start of a serious revamp of premium products to make them best of breed.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:03 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Himeno
As mvjs stated on NZ a paper ticket is printed at the gate which is required to be shown to the CSM at the door of the aircraft.
Also you can still OLCI and print the boarding pass which in my experience is very useful as I sometimes forget which flight I am supposed to be on
Note on NZ they have not issued RFID baggage tags, you need ot use a kiosk that will print the tags out which you put on the bag yourself, and get a baggage claim ticket as well.
Oh my NZ chip is not on my mobile, as I am not a status W@nker, who needs to show it off to anyone on the street....oh it is also prefect guerilla marketing for the airline in question.
Finally if I get the QF RFID card it will mean I have at least 4 RFID chips which all cause interference with each other so you cannot have both on one phone.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The gate ticket is a small docket about 4cm x 6cm - scan your RFID tag a green light flashes and out it prints.

Here's an image of my chip laying strategically on top of my WP card:

It's about 1½ times thicker than the WP card.

I do like the idea of incorporating them with the QFF membership card.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:35 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Originally Posted by serfty
I believe that was posted by a Qantas (Neo/)insider.

Here's a link: http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...tas-20170.html
Thanks for the link Serfty - I haven't been keeping up with AFF as much recently.
And nice to see that AJ says he's an Apple user too.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.