Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

VS/DL SFO-MAN $2000 RT on Lie-flat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

June-July. The delta codeshare flights appear $5 to $10 cheaper :-)

Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Great find! Thanks for posting!

Price now seems good every day of every week, all the way through at least Jan 2018, even during Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Sadly, slightly more in £ digits if searching MAN-SFO.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Sadly, slightly more in £ digits if searching MAN-SFO.
Don't worry. More paid J fare deals coming to those originating from the EU/UK
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by hg‎
June-July. The delta codeshare flights appear $5 to $10 cheaper :-)

This was already mentioned here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...2k-rt-eos.html

Good deal none the less. Also appears that the A-330 will have the new 1-1-1 config on this route.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkadilla
This was already mentioned here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...2k-rt-eos.html

Good deal none the less. Also appears that the A-330 will have the new 1-1-1 config on this route.
Ah, I'd searched but didn't see it. Mods feel free to merge the threads.

I just booked a round trip for two, what would be the seats for a couple on the new 1-1-1 config?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:22 pm

Got this priced out at 1840 per person refundable with Amex Platinum card for 2 people.

Pretty good when you consider 5x on the airfare from Amex, so ~19000 points plus ~21000 points on VS per person (if both post).

Last edited by antonius66; Mar 29, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antonius66
Got this priced out at 1840 per person refundable with Amex Platinum card for 2 people.

Pretty good when you consider 5x on the airfare from Amex, so ~19000 points plus ~21000 points on VS per person (if both post).
Wait, how does the discount with the Amex Platinum card work? (I'm within my 24 hr window for cancelling).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by hg‎
Wait, how does the discount with the Amex Platinum card work? (I'm within my 24 hr window for cancelling).
Amex platinum can book a free companion ticket (except taxes) when paying a refundable rate on certain premium cabin flexible tickets. It rarely works out to be better than just buying two discounted tickets but sometimes it does.

Example: If you are looking at two discounted tickets that are $2,000 each, but the refundable rate is $3500 (of which $500 is taxes), you can book through Amex and pay for one refundable ticket at $3500 and pay the $500 taxes for the second ticket, buying yourself the same two seats for the same price and getting the flexibility of refundable tickets (and also potentially other benefits like a better fare code for using miles or upgrade instruments from C to F, or even better mileage earning in some cases). I'm not sure, though, whether the companion gets full miles when booked this way or gets the same ability to upgrade, etc.

Last edited by lkar; Mar 29, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by hg‎

I just booked a round trip for two, what would be the seats for a couple on the new 1-1-1 config?
Good question. The layout should be similar to the 787:
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Vi...s_B787-900.php

There is a partition between "A" and "G" seats. "G" and "H" seem to face each other, so that might be slightly better for you. The herringbone layout give no great options for a couple.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by hg‎

It only had a few dates left at that point... now back in full force.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Don't worry. More paid J fare deals coming to those originating from the EU/UK
I only hope so. Do you have any insight as to when?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66

That is a phenomenal deal - I called amex platinum to try to replicate but best quote i got was 6698 for 2 tickets SFO TO MAN JULY 21-28. Am i doing something wrong? This is the first time trying to use this benefit.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Just FYI, for those interested in status-matching their way into SkyMiles (which I am at present), this single roundtrip will get you within less than 100 miles of PLT, at least if you don't mind connecting through ATL. Delta requires 18,750 MQMs (Medallion qualification miles) over 90 days to gain PLT status. Here's the math on the mileage:

SFO-ATL: 2,140 mi
ATL-MAN: 4,078 mi
Subtotal (one-way): 6,218 mi
Total: 12,436 mi
Total MQMs (discounted business fares earn 50% bonus): 18,654 mi

Also note that if you're planning to status-match, it's better to do so on a flight after July 1 -- and wait until after that date to register, even if you buy a ticket now -- because you get to keep your status until 1/31/19 as long as your request for a status match is received after 7/1. Further note that regardless of your existing elite level -- even if you're ConciergeKey on AA! -- there's no way to status-match your way into Diamond Medallion, its highest tier. Finally, while DL now (sadly) bases its elite levels on dollars spent, this does not apply to status challenges; only mileage does.

Side note: you'd still get most of the way there -- just over 15,000 MQMs -- if you flew VS's nonstop SFO-MAN route. (And FYI, VS has rendered it largely pointless to enroll in its Flying Club thanks to both its relatively recent miles devaluation and forcing people to pay all fuel charges on award tickets, so you're better off just booking the ticket through DL (which has a codeshare on the flight) and earning SkyMiles.)

P.S. Am I imagining things, or was there another deal recently on flights inbound to MAN? Is the UK trying to direct more flights there versus LHR/LGW?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kirker
Just FYI, for those interested in status-matching
Delta requires 18,750 MQMs (Medallion qualification miles) over 90 days to gain PLT status.
That's a challenge, then - not a direct status match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.