Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA ORD-PEK (Y outbound) C7, on 10/1/16 return on paid J for $1500

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances

Tomorrow's (10/1) ORD-PEK has C=7, return on paid J for $1500 total!!! on Oct 5 or later. This should give you ~20k eqms, flying both ways in J. Not a bad deal, if you can make it. Available on aa.com. Don't forget your visa...
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
forgive my noobishness, but what does C=7 mean exactly?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:38 pm

C7. It means there are 7 seats available in Fare C. C, in this case is Business Class.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
C7. It means there are 7 seats available in Fare C. C, in this case is Business Class.
i guess OP means 7 SWU (or more, max display is 7 on EF) available for upgrade to business class.

The way I read it, buy coach outbound (with SWU available to business) Oct1, and return on business after Oct 5 for ~$1500. Don't think he meant C fare all the way.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly2Where

The way I read it, buy coach outbound (with SWU available to business) Oct1, and return on business after Oct 5 for ~$1500.
Correct. Still available. You buy coach on the outbound and upgrade with SWU or miles and cash. Seatmap shows 20 J seats available, wow. Return on paid J Oct 5 or later. Great deal if you already have a Chinese visa and the time to do it. Or you can book a separate nested return ticket to TYO, ICN, PUS, or HKG and do "transit without a visa".
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Screaming deal - you can leave tonight and return on Monday AM for the same price - coach over (use VIP) and Biz on the way back. Amazing.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, MAJOR ALERT, follow the link below, it books you into I on the return for Monday with the direct flight, AMAZING, for $1540 total, put it on hold now! The return flight is morning, you can still make it to work!

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0&...=ONEWORLD;eo=e

Do not go through AA.com, it jacks up the prices, follow the google flights link!

I would have booked this myself but I am at 220k eqms already, not getting any more SWUs after 200k eqms...
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nk15
Yes, MAJOR ALERT, follow the link below, it books you into I on the return for Monday with the direct flight, AMAZING, for $1540 total, put it on hold now! The return flight is morning, you can still make it to work!

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0&...=ONEWORLD;eo=e

Do not go through AA.com, it jacks up the prices, follow the google flights link!

I would have booked this myself but I am at 220k eqms already, not getting any more SWUs after 200k eqms...
Can't reproduce this now on google flights, but available via DFW, same deal for Monday return.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:40 am

nk15 this is great. Is it me or most of the PEK or PVG flights have a ton of business class seats available and chances to get upgraded with an SWU? Whichever date we pick?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aerolulu
nk15 this is great. Is it me or most of the PEK or PVG flights have a ton of business class seats available and chances to get upgraded with an SWU? Whichever date we pick?
Not necessarily true. For example this Friday's ORD-PEK business class is already full, 6 days out, all seats occupied. I don't see any other open upgrade C space right now for fall, but they may be releasing them a couple of days before the flight.

There are a couple of options, either you pick a couple of months away when the seatmap looks empty and chance it (seatmaps can be misleading though or get filled up fast), or you get the visa now and wait for any close up bargains like this, which may or may not come up...One thing to know is that the 787 does not have economy comfort seats. It is either business or torture in economy, all or nothing situation.

Last edited by nk15; Oct 1, 2016 at 9:00 am
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by nk15
Correct. Still available. You buy coach on the outbound and upgrade with SWU or miles and cash. Seatmap shows 20 J seats available, wow. Return on paid J Oct 5 or later. Great deal if you already have a Chinese visa and the time to do it. Or you can book a separate nested return ticket to TYO, ICN, PUS, or HKG and do "transit without a visa".
Thanks for the post, but generally this forum is for posting of business only flights. I can see the excitement when you find a fare that has C availability where you can use upgrades in advance and then pay business for the return.

I also appreciate that you made that clear in the heading. So maybe I am being too critical because I haven't had my morning coffee lol.

But perhaps you could title it ORD-PEK $2500 J or $1540 with "C" upgrade one way J return this weekend!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Oct 1-7 is Golden Week in China - week off and very little business activity - hence easily available upgrades
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
i guess OP means 7 SWU (or more, max display is 7 on EF) available for upgrade to business class.

The way I read it, buy coach outbound (with SWU available to business) Oct1, and return on business after Oct 5 for ~$1500. Don't think he meant C fare all the way.
^Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:23 pm

General question......Can someone tell me why they would be willing to squander SWUs on MRs? I thought the whole point of getting executive platinum status, aside from the other modest perks over plain plat, was to acccumulate systemwide upgrades for future PLEASURE travel? If they're just being used to gain status, what's the point of having EP anyway? Seems like an endless game of using SWUs to attain additional SWUs. What am I missing?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joetraveler99
General question......Can someone tell me why they would be willing to squander SWUs on MRs? I thought the whole point of getting executive platinum status, aside from the other modest perks over plain plat, was to acccumulate systemwide upgrades for future PLEASURE travel? If they're just being used to gain status, what's the point of having EP anyway? Seems like an endless game of using SWUs to attain additional SWUs. What am I missing?
This is the end of year so doing an MR and using a couple of SWUs to attain EXP is reasonable. I personally don't do MRs as I agree with you and consider SWUs much more valuable than most people here. I don't even use them for TATL anymore, only TPAC or more than two continents. Btw, you should be booking your SWUs into business class for 2017 while you still can, because at some point they will probably be good for premium economy only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.