Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Smiley90
low prices are definitely still available, you just gotta pick your dates. Though with RDM earnings so significantly reduced, it's really more of a top-up-EQM run than a great RDM/EQM now.
I found prices in the $880 range for January 2017. Didn't book one but I'm thinking about it.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by PDXAA
I found prices in the $880 range for January 2017. Didn't book one but I'm thinking about it.
I might book some into the future if I end up status-matching to Alaska. e.g. running these fall 2017 to get MVP until 2019 will still net a neat 2.5xBIS AS miles, which for a YVR-PTY run is ~30k
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Wink

Just got home from this run today, I did LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY-MIA-JFK-PHX-LAX, LAX-JFK (overnight flight 07/26), JFK-MIA-PTY-MIA (07/27), MIA-JFK (red eye 07/27 arrived JFK at 1am 7/28), JFK-PHX (07/28), skipped PHX-LAX since my home base is PHX.

Experience no delay, MIA-PTY almost oversold by 3, offered $500 to volunteer, of course I jumped in but didn't need at the end.

Was able to access Flagship lounge in both LAX and JFK on the outbound, didn't try to access Flagship in JFK on 07/28 since I thought I don't have access since the international portion was the day before (I might be wrong, someone please give me a answer for future reference, I rather sit in the lounge then stay outside lol). Nevertheless, didn't try to enter since the lounge open at 430 and the plane boarding at 6 so I just stayed outside.

Total cost $998, $38 for a position flight from PHX-LAX on 07/26. Miles have already posted, as of now 102k
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by flyer89
Just got home from this run today, I did LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY-MIA-JFK-PHX-LAX, LAX-JFK (overnight flight 07/26), JFK-MIA-PTY-MIA (07/27), MIA-JFK (red eye 07/27 arrived JFK at 1am 7/28), JFK-PHX (07/28), skipped PHX-LAX since my home base is PHX.

Experience no delay, MIA-PTY almost oversold by 3, offered $500 to volunteer, of course I jumped in but didn't need at the end.

Was able to access Flagship lounge in both LAX and JFK on the outbound, didn't try to access Flagship in JFK on 07/28 since I thought I don't have access since the international portion was the day before (I might be wrong, someone please give me a answer for future reference, I rather sit in the lounge then stay outside lol). Nevertheless, didn't try to enter since the lounge open at 430 and the plane boarding at 6 so I just stayed outside.

Total cost $998, $38 for a position flight from PHX-LAX on 07/26. Miles have already posted, as of now 102k
Congratz on the Successful run. I did a bunch of these and got vouchers and had a blast. PTY UIO was thinking of doing BOG but didn't. I did book one more in OCT and routed tru DFW on the way home to ride the NEW 789. UIO is my favorite run, I like the 767 on the route.
These are great runs for a fun weekend trip and there good for first time MR are the seasoned MR. Lots of good info in the wiki and tread. (thanks everyone)
I also got to RIDE the A321T, 767 300ER v1,v2, 77w 772 v1 v2, 757 International among other smaller types. Great Job on all flights except a MIA IRROP situation where the MIA staff became over run and AA was super slow to respond.

Last edited by grbauctions; Jul 28, 2016 at 6:24 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by flyer89

An amazing accomplishment. Congrats.

So, you were able to access the Flagship Lounge before taking the first red-eye from LAX-JFK, based upon the PTY destination ahead on the following day?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by grbauctions
Congratz on the Successful run. I did a bunch of these and got vouchers and had a blast. PTY UIO was thinking of doing BOG but didn't. I did book one more in OCT and routed tru DFW on the way home to ride the NEW 789. UIO is my favorite run, I like the 767 on the route.
These are great runs for a fun weekend trip and there good for first time MR are the seasoned MR. Lots of good info in the wiki and tread. (thanks everyone)
I also got to RIDE the A321T, 767 300ER v1,v2, 77w 772 v1 v2, 757 International among other smaller types. Great Job on all flights except a MIA IRROP situation where the MIA staff became over run and AA was super slow to respond.
-Wow you get to try different type of airplanes than I was :P Congrats on scoring vouchers though, those are nice.

Originally Posted by jcatman
An amazing accomplishment. Congrats.

So, you were able to access the Flagship Lounge before taking the first red-eye from LAX-JFK, based upon the PTY destination ahead on the following day?
-I'm not so sure to be honest. According to the AA's website, as a transcon business class customer I do have access to the lounge but not sure about flagship lounge. The gentleman who checked me in just give the card to the lounge since "I remembered what happened when you were here last time, here's the key to flagship." So maybe, he was being nice. ^
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I just met a Flyertalk gentleman outside the JFK flounge at 4:30 this morning coming back from PTY headed to LAX. All these crazy runners off I go to HNL for a weekend
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:16 am

For those looking to avoid overnighting in PTY or MIA, consider routing PTY-MIA-EWR/LGA-JFK-LAX. Arrive around 1am and have 5 hours to huff it over to JFK for the first transcon fight of the day a 6am (and immediately pass out on the plane). Helps keep the cost per mile down and makes a weekend run more than doable.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:11 am

I had my LAX-JFK leg canceled, got stranded in airport, and then had some other legs unflown due to the way they rerouted me. I tired calling the EXP desk about compensation but they redirected me to the online CS form. I've seen the reports here about speaking to agents and getting refunds/compensation; which number are people calling?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by Welder
I had my LAX-JFK leg canceled, got stranded in airport, and then had some other legs unflown due to the way they rerouted me. I tired calling the EXP desk about compensation but they redirected me to the online CS form. I've seen the reports here about speaking to agents and getting refunds/compensation; which number are people calling?
You CAN NOT request a refund via phone. You MUST contact AA via the web site and request a refund. Took them 2+ weeks and another follow up email to get my $156 refund processed.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:17 am

Okay. Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:51 pm

[/QUOTE]-I'm not so sure to be honest. According to the AA's website, as a transcon business class customer I do have access to the lounge but not sure about flagship lounge. The gentleman who checked me in just give the card to the lounge since "I remembered what happened when you were here last time, here's the key to flagship." So maybe, he was being nice. ^[/QUOTE]

I had a similar itinerary recently. The LAX AC agent initially gave me access to the FL. After a few minutes she paged me up and told me I don't, in fact, have access based on the next-day international flight. She allowed me to stay.

After a beer and a snack I walked over to the TBIT QF F lounge (via airside connector) and was admitted without a blink. I found that lounge to be nicer than the FL.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
I'm assuming you got into the QF F lounge because you were flying in F in the LAX-JFK leg, or you are Emerald with One World......
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
I'm assuming you got into the QF F lounge because you were flying in F in the LAX-JFK leg, or you are Emerald with One World......
Sorry, yeah, I was only in J, but am EXP.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:31 pm

-I'm not so sure to be honest. According to the AA's website, as a transcon business class customer I do have access to the lounge but not sure about flagship lounge. The gentleman who checked me in just give the card to the lounge since "I remembered what happened when you were here last time, here's the key to flagship." So maybe, he was being nice. ^[/QUOTE]

I had a similar itinerary recently. The LAX AC agent initially gave me access to the FL. After a few minutes she paged me up and told me I don't, in fact, have access based on the next-day international flight. She allowed me to stay.

After a beer and a snack I walked over to the TBIT QF F lounge (via airside connector) and was admitted without a blink. I found that lounge to be nicer than the FL.[/QUOTE]

-Yea, that's the inconsistent that I have experienced so I'm not sure what is right anyways. Technically, you would still have access to the lounge since you're flying a transcon LAX-JFK in C, so you would have access to the admiral lounge for sure (not sure about flagship but base on your post, I now know the answer).

So this brings up the question, was the agent in AA's Flagship lounge correct to tell you that you don't have access? Or was the agent in QF's First Class lounge granted access in error? But then most of the time, they just scanned the boarding pass so that might be just it. If it's green, you're in, if it's red, you're out. But then.. I would much prefer QF F lounge anyways...steak and dessert wine they have are soooo divine...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.