Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

roll of aluminum foil in suitcase - security issue?

roll of aluminum foil in suitcase - security issue?

Old May 2, 2009, 5:34 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Originally Posted by etch5895
Is the aluminum foil to be used for the making of hats? Because everyone knows that only good old fashioned American aluminum foil really gets the job done when it comes to blocking those harmful rays.
Nope.... its more for grilling applications...
Old May 2, 2009, 6:34 pm

Reminds me of an older thread... TSA Foil terrorist activity in Hartford, CT
Old May 2, 2009, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
My you like to live dangerously and tempt a trip to Gitmo. I'll guess that modeling clay has the same density as peanut butter, which on the TSA Xray false color display happens to look identical to C4, which comes in blocks about the size of a video cassette. . .

Either that, or the screener break room needed some educational materials beyond the TDC highlighter coloring supplies.
I guess so... but then upon their inspection, it would be obvious it was harmless, so why did it disappear? It wasn't any monetary loss, and my wife has since found a source for clay that she likes there in Brasil. I guess play dough for the kid is out?
Old May 2, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by galeaoguy
TSA in BOS opened both my suitcases.. they even checked my carry on because I had a 16 inch Infant Jesus of Prague statue they wanted to examine more closely.. good for them they didn't drop that
Sounds like the same crew who gave my mother the 3rd degree because she had one of these in her carry-on http://www.geocities.com/kings_crown/wish/wish05.html

Old May 2, 2009, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess so... but then upon their inspection, it would be obvious it was harmless, so why did it disappear? It wasn't any monetary loss, and my wife has since found a source for clay that she likes there in Brasil. I guess play dough for the kid is out?

TSO's who post here say that they never confiscate anything nor are they allowed to confiscate anything.

How could that be if a harmless item is taken from someones baggage without their knowledge?

Is that what TSA calls surrendered?
Old May 3, 2009, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

TSO's who post here say that they never confiscate anything nor are they allowed to confiscate anything.

How could that be if a harmless item is taken from someones baggage without their knowledge?

Is that what TSA calls surrendered?
Every organization has its fair share of bad apples. Some have a more fair share than others...
Old May 3, 2009, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
My you like to live dangerously and tempt a trip to Gitmo. I'll guess that modeling clay has the same density as peanut butter, which on the TSA Xray false color display happens to look identical to C4, which comes in blocks about the size of a video cassette. . .

Either that, or the screener break room needed some educational materials beyond the TDC highlighter coloring supplies.
If something was stolen, was a complaint filed?
Old May 3, 2009, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you don't pack anything like a copy of T. Paine's "Common Sense" along with it -- literature like that could cause a TSO's head to explode.
Old May 3, 2009, 6:08 am

Is the foil used for grilling local terrorists?
Old May 3, 2009, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IslandBased

Is the foil used for grilling local terrorists?
Terrorist meat is tough & chewey.

Mushrooms, corn on the cob, potatoes... that kind of thing.....

Old May 3, 2009, 9:43 am

I was teasing- in the US grilling can be slang for a kind of interrogation.

But back to your OP, Reynolds has wider rolls of heavy duty aluminum foil, and some new products like non-stick foil. Though not Reynolds products Stretchtite and Freezetite are excellent plastic wraps for food storage. I ordered them through Amazon.
Old May 4, 2009, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

I was teasing- in the US grilling can be slang for a kind of interrogation.

But back to your OP, Reynolds has wider rolls of heavy duty aluminum foil, and some new products like non-stick foil. Though not Reynolds products Stretchtite and Freezetite are excellent plastic wraps for food storage. I ordered them through Amazon.
So was I....
Old May 4, 2009, 2:20 pm

So was I....
I've tried several Malbec wines from Argentina. I have yet to be disappointed.^^
Old May 4, 2009, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

So was I....
I've tried several Malbec wines from Argentina. I have yet to be disappointed.^^
My respects to you, Seor !!!

Next, I suggest to try the Mendoza blends of Malbec, Cabernet & Merlot.
Old May 4, 2009, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by etch5895
Is the aluminum foil to be used for the making of hats? Because everyone knows that only good old fashioned American aluminum foil really gets the job done when it comes to blocking those harmful rays.
It depends on the rays...to block the rays beamed out by the lizard people who live inside Mt. Rainier, you need copper foil - aluminum foil just won't work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.