Question about Greyhound.

Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Centurion210
You have to back up your claim to US citizenship, not BP. You made the claim, back it up.
So, you admit that even US Citizens must carry papers to prove their citizenship? How is this different from "Papiere, bitte!"?

I thought BP had to have at least some suspicion that the person is not a US citizen before detaining and interrogating. Obviously, I was mistaken.

But then again, laws do not matter much when I am confronted by an armed jackbooted thug in a uniform.

Why didn't you file a complaint when you were stereotyped?
I did. It went nowhere. Surprized? Not me.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
It's troubling that this young person is concerned about having to prove citizenship upon demand at any time. I'm not blaming this individual -- just noting how much we have been socially engineered into a "Papers Please" society.
My thoughts exactly, and when I was 16 it was in the year of “Big Brother”- 1984.

<SNIP> Carry your birth certificate or passport, if you have one.
Wait a minute; the OP said he was of Hispanic descent, not necessarily a naturalized citizen.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Wait a minute; the OP said he was of Hispanic descent, not necessarily a naturalized citizen.
If the OP is not a naturalized citizen, the answer is simple: Green card or other proof of legal status must be carried at all times.

If the OP is a naturalized citizen, then I share the same concern: Running into some La Migra thug who will detain anyone not fitting into his preconceived idea of how US Citizens are supposed to look and talk.

And if anyone doubts, a quick Google search for "American citizen deported" or "US citizen deported" should be convincing enough of what these goons are capable of.

Here is a comment from
http://www.detentionwatchnetwork.org/node/842, which I think sums it all up:

"We have heard of dozens of us citizens who have been wrongfully arrested, detained or deported. Why is this happening? Because the Department of Homeland Security is bent on removing people perceived as 'un-American. But what can be more un-American than the outright denial of due process and fundamental fairness?"

I think La Migra is even more un-American than TSA.

Last edited by PoliceStateSurvivor; Apr 8, 2009 at 2:06 pm
Old Apr 8, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA *G
If you're booking that far in advance; check out Southwest. Under 8 hours Greyhound is fine, but I wouldn't reccomend it for more.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
And if anyone doubts, a quick Google search for "American citizen deported" or "US citizen deported" should be convincing enough of what these goons are capable of.
Here is more on this subject:

U.S. citizens caught up in immigration sweeps

It was not my intention to "highjack" this thread, but since the subject of "Your papers!" came up, I felt I could contribute my $0.02 worth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.