Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How Can Your Ticket Exactly Match Your ID When You Have a Hyphen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

I know a number of people with hyphenated surnames (e.g., Smith-Jones). Most airline systems do not use hyphens (Virgin American being the one exception I know of personally), so what happens to people with hyphenated names when the exact match requirement kicks in? Unless the airlines change their systems (which they might), an exact match is impossible.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Probably the same way you do it when you book a cruise - just add both last names without the hyphen.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Clearly people who have a hyphen in their name "don't want to fly today"!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

That's what they do now - but, it's not an exact match.

Originally Posted by wrxmom
Probably the same way you do it when you book a cruise - just add both last names without the hyphen.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Real Americans aren't hyphenated!

If you've got a hyphen you must be one of those terrywrists!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Hobbes01
Clearly people who have a hyphen in their name "don't want to fly today"!
Clearly they hate America. Why do hyphenated people hate America?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
Clearly they hate America. Why do hyphenated people hate America?
Clearly hyphenated names are a handicap and should be treated as a disability.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:14 am

Actually folks, the TSA is working with the airlines concerning this exact issue. Names, being what they are, are often unusual or odd and most airline systems just are not flexible enough to meet the new requirements. So the TSA is in part funding the needed changes to the computer systems for the airlines in order to facilitate the upgrades. How much and who is getting the assistance I do not know, but I know that there is a great deal of effort going into making this change happen.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:30 am

Talking of name-matching

Mary Brown is expecting a baby in about three months.
She and her husband decide to travel to their home country across the ocean in five months (when the fares will be at their lowest) with the newborn, to visit his/her/its grandparents.

If they book today, the best-fare tickets have to be issued within three days of booking.

This is International Travel.
The Airline needs full names (as per passports), dates of birth and passport numbers.
How will the Airline be able to issue the tickets within three days of booking,
if the exact date of birth (in about three months) is not known?
The parents might tell the Airline what they intend to name the newborn (if they already know the gender and have decided on a name.)
If the parents did not try to find out the baby's gender, will the Airline accept:
"If it's a boy he will be Thomas, if it's a girl she will be Tomasina."?

Cheers

Last edited by 3strokes; Jun 26, 2009 at 10:32 am Reason: typos, what else?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TSORon
Actually folks, the TSA is working with the airlines concerning this exact issue. Names, being what they are, are often unusual or odd and most airline systems just are not flexible enough to meet the new requirements. So the TSA is in part funding the needed changes to the computer systems for the airlines in order to facilitate the upgrades. How much and who is getting the assistance I do not know, but I know that there is a great deal of effort going into making this change happen.
Will they mandate unicode?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I'm not a computer programer, nor am I a part of the project planning for this. So that is a question I cannot answer.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:04 am
Original Poster

I have never had an airline request passport information at the time of booking. That information is requested at check-in.

Originally Posted by 3strokes
She and her husband decide to travel to their home country across the ocean in five months (when the fares will be at their lowest) with the newborn, to visit his/her/its grandparents.

If they book today, the best-fare tickets have to be issued within three days of booking.

The Airline needs full names (as per passports), dates of birth and passport numbers.
The parents might tell the Airline what they intend to name the newborn (if they already know the gender and have decided on a name.)
If the parents did not try to find out the baby's gender, will the Airline accept:

Cheers
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I have never had an airline request passport information at the time of booking. That information is requested at check-in.
So look at the post and ignore passport #

Full Name as it's reflected on the id (although under 18 doesn't require ID except for intl travel, so that is a potential issue here), dob and sex will all be required at ticket purchase.

It's really the name that is an issue as it may not match the passport (50/50 on that one if they have made that decision) -- the rest would likely not even be noticed.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3strokes

Cheers
How about the standard term for an unnamed baby, "Baby"?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:51 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Of course, otherwise people named '〙➊︵┦ⓠ" would be in real trouble.

Actually, Unicode might solve a lot of problems with transliterating Chinese, Arabic, etc. names.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.