Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How long wait for USA passport renewal these days ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)

Hi

my passport was lost ,

how long does it take to get a new one , I have my expired old one ?

Just wondering if I need to pay for the express service

thanks for your ideas

Rally
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
I'm not sure how long the standard replacement is - but I had one stolen and needed a replacement expedited and I had my new one in about 10 days...

If you are *really* in a bind - there are passport centers all over the country where you can appear in person, they verify your credentials and proof of short-notice int'l travel, and you leave with a passport.

I preemptively made an appointment with the center in Seattle for 72 hours prior to departure 'just in case' my replacement didn't show up in the mail on time... but I didn't end up needing it - the state department and postal service pulled through for me!!

If you don't have int'l travel within the next 5-6 weeks I'd recommend you attempt the regular replacement process, and if you end up in a bind simply take the 'visit a processing center' route.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
Hi

I did lose it at home , so I can just do the regular replacement process,

Just wondering how long "regular" was these days ,
last year it was 6-8 weeks or more

thanks

Rally
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Right now it looks like <4 weeks for standard service <2 weeks for expedited...

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport...sing_1740.html
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by rally
Hi

I did lose it at home , so I can just do the regular replacement process,

Just wondering how long "regular" was these days ,
last year it was 6-8 weeks or more

thanks

Rally
My daughter had a child's passport and renewed to an adult passport in April, 2008. Process took under two weeks for regular processing. The application indicated she was traveling on June 1; dunno if that helped or hurt. I've no idea if "lost passports" require more processing time. If it were me and had no plans to cross a border this year, I would use the regular route. Otherwise, use an expedited method.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:30 pm

I did a renewal a couple months ago. Standard speed. New passport was delivered in under 14 days.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:34 pm

I just did mine a few days ago. My old one had expired, but was "lost" in the sense that it is somewhere in my house but I could not find it. So, I was submitting the application without the preceding passport.

I brought it in the a main US Post Office on Friday afternoon at 2:30 pm and received it back in the mail Monday morning one week later plus the weekend. So, about 9 days.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 12:35 pm

Oh, and the postal clerk who handles the passport applications told me that she would be surpprised if it took more than 2 weeks. So apparently most of them are going through that fast.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
We just renewed our daughter's passport. It took just over two weeks with standard processing. Her old passport and ID documents were returned under separate cover and they arrived a day after the new passport.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:30 pm

Got mine a few months ago and SEVEN DAYS AFTER I DROPPED THE APPLICATION IN HE MAILBOX MY PASSPORT WAS DELIVERED TO ME!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 7:04 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by rally
Hi

my passport was lost ,

how long does it take to get a new one , I have my expired old one ?

Just wondering if I need to pay for the express service

thanks for your ideas

Rally
Just had a friend apply for a new passport. Applied at the post office on a Friday, new passport was delivered the following Saturday. 8 calender day turn-around from the Charleston passport center.

Have heard Philadelphia is turning around passports quickly too.

I wouldn't bother paying the expedite fee. If you need it urgently, I'd get it in person based on the current turn-around times. Ask your post office about the turn around time from the passport office in your area. If its anything like Philadelphia or Charleston, you'll probably have it in under 2 weeks.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Originally Posted by AINITFUNNY
Got mine a few months ago and SEVEN DAYS AFTER I DROPPED THE APPLICATION IN HE MAILBOX MY PASSPORT WAS DELIVERED TO ME!
I renewed mine in June with "standard" service and received similar turnaround, exactly seven days after I put the application in the mailbox I had a new one in hand. I tracked it online using the USPS tracking numbers, it only spent 48 hours in the hands of the passport center.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Update:

got it in today the 5th ,, so lets see how long it takes,

One thing more , you need another piece of PHOTO ID , I lost my drivers licence and passport , and my year old expired passport was not accepted,

I had to have my friend come down and fill out a signed affidavit that he knew who I was !

It seemed that if I had a Costco card with my photo that would have been OK....weird

Anyway I will report back when it arrives

Rally

PS....also paid for a Passport "card" extra $25 that can be used crossing Mexico or Canada border by car or foot !
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by xyzzy
We just renewed our daughter's passport. It took just over two weeks with standard processing. Her old passport and ID documents were returned under separate cover and they arrived a day after the new passport.
We were three weeks for renewal of a child's passport.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

just an update ,
applied at Post Office Friday Morning the 5th ,
it was processed and sent the 10th (at least thats what date on passport says)
Sent priority mail , so it arrived in just over a week

this was standard processing , I turned in my old expired one year ago passport as i had lost my new passport,

So overall VERY GOOD service , no need to pay extra for fast service or next day post.

Have NOT recieved my passport "card" yet , but really do not need it anyway, and I assume they have my expired passort and birth certificate for the card processing,

Happy Camper here

Rally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.