Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I love the ID checkers the most. I was in the Elite line at ATL, which was a mile and half long only to notice the delay was because the ID checker was take 15-30 sec per-person to check ids. I was in that line for 10 minuets.

Sorry about the OT response.

Let me bring it back.

Does the clear card get you past the slow as molasses ID checker???
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Guess what? The Shoe scanner use at Orlando was discontinued October 10, 2007.Absolutely!I wouldn't be counting on this happening any time soon. See above.
Then I guess we're back to Clear providing very, very, very minimal tangible benefit, instead of just very, very little. Whatever.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by colpuck
I love the ID checkers the most. I was in the Elite line at ATL, which was a mile and half long only to notice the delay was because the ID checker was take 15-30 sec per-person to check ids. I was in that line for 10 minuets.

Sorry about the OT response.

Let me bring it back.

Does the clear card get you past the slow as molasses ID checker???

At MCO the Clear rep. checks your ID -stupid considering they collected all that data but whatever...it takes 5 sec. You use the machine and then go down a special queue where another rep. meets you and if there is a line of common folk using the designated Clear lane, they butt you in at the front of it - get you your bins and stand there to fend of the complainers behind you....... almost worth the fee right there to see the looks on the folks that waited 30 min. faces.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:38 am

Guess what? The Shoe scanner use at Orlando was discontinued October 10, 2007.Absolutely!I wouldn't be counting on this happening any time soon. See above.
I knew about that decision; that's why I said "eventually". I believe the technology is there. It's just that they need to tweak some things to make it acceptable to TSA. I'm confident that it will eventually be approved.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Originally Posted by perezoso
Assuming it is successful (which I hope it is not): You are right until there are 100,000 more people thinking of themselves like you, at which point your system breaks because you will have to guess.
Agreed to a point - those 100,000 aren't going to the the "Ma and Pa Kettles" who don't know that they have to remove their coats, put their liquids in a plastic bag and take off their oversize novelty belt buckles. I'd rather be in a line behind 10 business travelers who have the routine down than 5 first timers with strollers and Big Gulps.

Another - perhaps non-published - benefit of CLEAR seems to be the elimination of secondary screening selection. I have no way to prove it, but since I enrolled with CLEAR I've yet to have an SSSS boarding pass, regardless of air carrier. I've booked plenty of last minute and one-way tickets (including international) and haven't been selected.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by aviators99
I knew about that decision; that's why I said "eventually". I believe the technology is there. It's just that they need to tweak some things to make it acceptable to TSA. I'm confident that it will eventually be approved.
Why will such shoe-scanning technology, if implemented, be reserved solely for those willing to put up with extortion?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This thread really has nothing to do with Continental Airlines. Please continue to follow it in the Travel Safety & Security forum.

Xyzzy
CO forum moderator
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:36 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by TVCMH
I have a Clear Card, love it and will be happy to renew despite the fact that there isn't a registered traveler line at my home airport. It's worth every penny, especially on early morning flights because you never have to guess how long the security line will be and can sleep in accordingly.
What are the main benefits for you?
I just signed up for Clear, using a Hyatt GoldPassport promotion (1st year free for Hyatt Platinums).

SFO has clear, right? I transit there international -> domestic often.

In terms of privacy/extortion, at least a few divisions of the fed gov't have my fingerprints already. And I don't know what harm they could really do with my retinal scan?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
SFO has clear, right? I transit there international -> domestic often.
They've already had 6,000 people sign up at SFO. I'm not among the 6,000.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
And I don't know what harm they could really do with my retinal scan?
Iris scan. In addition to being able to clear the checkpoint in a deterministic amount of time, there is a secondary valuable service:

If you are ever placed on the no-fly list, your Clear membership will be revoked, thus automatically notifying you that you have been singled out for special attention from DHS. @:-)
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
JAX VIP "Preferred Traveler"

Here is the program they offer at JAX.

JAX Preferred Traveler Program

It appears to be run by a company with a local address according to the homepage. I am not sure if they are affiliated with CLEAR, but my guess is that they are judging by the other "participating" airports.

These clowns want $149 PLUS a $10 setup fee for the "silver" level. The top tier level costs a whopping $350 per year plus $30 setup fee.

I remember seeing the signs for this at the airport last year sometime and was excited about it until I visited the website ad saw what it actually cost. And just like CLEAR, all you're getting is a straight shot to the WTMD and X-Ray machine.

Craig
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:05 am

Why will such shoe-scanning technology, if implemented, be reserved solely for those willing to put up with extortion?
Because it is a Fly Clear owned or licensed technology. They are already using it, but it doesn't remove the requirement to also have your shoes scanned by the TSA x-ray machine. When you go through Clear, you have to stand on a mat, with your shoes in a certain spot (while they are on you).

Why do you call it extortion? It is a private company charging you for a service.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:12 am

I've had it here at IND since it started ?about a year ago? - since we have no elite lines at the current IND airport it helps in cutting the line.

New IND midfield airport is 12/2008 hopefully with elite lines and if so I'll reevaluate Clear membership but will probably keep if it keeps expanding at new airports.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:24 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by aviators99
Because it is a Fly Clear owned or licensed technology. They are already using it, but it doesn't remove the requirement to also have your shoes scanned by the TSA x-ray machine. When you go through Clear, you have to stand on a mat, with your shoes in a certain spot (while they are on you).

Why do you call it extortion? It is a private company charging you for a service.
No one should have to pay and give up information to have a quasi-"normal" screening experience.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
No one should have to pay and give up information to have a quasi-"normal" screening experience.
And give that information, along with a portion of the funds, to the TSA for use as they see fit...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.