Wiki Posts
Search

CBP "keeping" digital camera for search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
CBP "keeping" digital camera for search

I've seen threads about US CBP looking into laptops and in some cases retaining them for further search. Not sure how long (if when) the property gets back to its rightful owner.

At one of the corporate job sites I visit, one of the security guards (i.e. corporate security) is a dual Canadian / US citizen. The other day we were talking and got onto the subject of overseas travel, immigrations, and all that fun stuff.

Turns out he had just returned from a visit to Canada to see family. The airport he used when flying back to the US has CBP pre-clearance. Returning back to the US this past time he apparently got a real grilling. What do you do for a living, how much do you make, who do you work for, what do you do, how did you pay for your trip, where did you get the money from, is that your camera?, how did you pay for the camera?, can I see your employee ID or business card -- ok, what's the telephone # there, we're going to call and verify your employment (they never followed through with the latter).

Anyways, I've had some rough grillings myself -- but what I found strange was the US CBP decided to keep his digital camera for further inspection. He was forced to surrender the camera to the CBP and was told they would send it back to him after they did a search of it.

If they want to see the pictures on the memory card, all they had to do was turn it on and go through the photos there. Apparently they did view some of the photos then (family pictures, exciting, eh>)

Aside from viewing the pictures, what else does CBP do in the process when they retain a digital camera? I presume the CBP has a "lab" somewhere where they process items like laptops (and now apparently digital cameras) they keep for further inspection.

Anyone hear of this happenng to a digital camera? Also, anyone know how long it takes the CBP to process and return such items? i was joking with him that when they do return it, it'll either be sent postage due or COD for the postage and packaging costs.

If anyone knows something about the process, why a digital camera, the time it takes to "process", I'd be interested in knowing so that I could pass this information on to him next time i'm at this site.

FWIW, the site he works at is corporate HQ; with their job duties, I have no doubt he earns a decent wage as a security professional. As far as security positions go, it is a professional security position, dress is a suit or dress shirt, tie, sport jacket - not just some cheap uniform that says "security"

It almost sounds like CBP stereotyped him as a minimum wage "security" employee that just walks around in a cheap uniform with a fake badge (i.e. mall security). Based on the sterotype that prompted further questions such as income, etc. Thoughts, comments, or perhaps useful information I can relay to him.

SDF_Traveler
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I think it's been established that CBP/ICE can do just about anything they want. With you or your property.

As to what makes them "go off" on someone, I have no idea. The simple answer that they do just because they can is wholly unsatisfactory and indefensible, but may not be very far from the truth. Many of us have similar "war stories" which lack any identifiable or reasonable motive.

He'll probably get it back COD alright, Crushed on Delivery
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Scary. You have no rights at the border.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 3:49 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Scary. You have no rights at the border.
You have no rights within your borders either
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Hell, I don't have any rights in my home...MrsM takes care of that!
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:16 am

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
I've had this happen to me as well on the Canadian side coming home from a 5 day vacation in Las Vegas - Phoenix. They asked to look at my digital camera and my laptop (took them both to a back room for inspection and returned to me shortly after). Even then, they asked me questions about employment and business cards (of which I didn't have on my person).

Sanosuke!
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
This worries me. The last time I was at LAS, a TSA inspector took out my newish pocket digital camera and spent an inordinate amount of time fooling around with it. I thought maybe he was thinking of buying one like it and commented a little on the features. It did not occur to me that he might be thinking of stealing it.

And it isn't even about the camera so much. LAS is one thing, but if I've spent thousands of dollars traveling to a once in a lifetime destination, then I don't want to be concerned that my memory card of photographs can be stolen on a whim. I mean, come on. Do people ever get back their equipment once it is seized? I doubt it.

I realize the original post is about Canada, by the way. I'm just saying. I don't think Canada dreams up this stuff all by themselves.

Last edited by peachfront; Sep 9, 2007 at 11:31 am
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:21 pm

deleted

Last edited by mikeon; Feb 4, 2011 at 6:30 pm
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:22 am

I've flown in to YVR a few times. I've watched, over the years, as they got ruder and ruder. Maybe it's their proximity to the US but it's not appealing at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.