Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronics Galore

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Electronics Galore

So, I'm a US citizen studying in the UK (not abroad for a year, but for the whole degree), and there's some stuff I need and other stuff I want to bring with me.

I'm flying US Airways (presuming, of course, I get my visa on time, which is not set in stone). I am definitely bringing with me my new desktop, which fits snugly inside its original packaging, and the packaging fits snugly inside a suitcase, with some room for clothes or whatever. In a second box is the monitor for that.

I would like, in addition, to bring gaming consoles (I understand they're unnecessary and they are definitely an "as-room-exists" item), but this all brings up an important note. Flying overseas, I'm limited to a ridiculously low amount of baggage coverage, and even that doesn't cover electronics. I've got an insurance policy for the desktop, which will cover that if it gets damaged or lost, but I don't want to go through the hassle of having to file a claim and be without a computer (I'm an engineering student, computers are ever useful) if I can help it. So, what's the safest way to get that bag on the plane?

I figure I'll probably throw any consoles I wind up bringing into my carry-on, if that's possible (I don't know, is it?) That way at least I feel reassured about some of the valuable items in my luggage. If they're not allowed as carry-ons, I assume the safest way to check the computer is also the safest for them.

My girlfriend (same situation, international student) is also flying, but via Delta on another flight. She doesn't have nearly as many valuables that she wants to bring along. If we don't want to put all our eggs in one basket, what's the best split? Does Delta have any policies that would make it better to have her take my luggage and for me to take her luggage?

Thanks,
Rasori
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Have you looked into a shipping service? It might cost you a bit, but I'd trust one of those more than an airline.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you checked into how well your desktop will work on 240v/50hz power? For the full four years in the UK, I would seriously consider buying or long-term leasing (if that's possible) a desktop made for European power. I would download files and any special software on a portable hard drive.

I lived in the UK for three years during my Air Force active duty days. If I were to go back, I would bring far less U.S. stuff. That goes for televisions, audio electronics, washer/dryer, fridge, etc.

If your future university has a Craigslist of sorts (or even the U.K version of eBay), you might find someone coming back to the U.S. or Canada looking to dump a decent UK desktop they can't take home with them.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to recheck shipping services as peace of mind is worth a little more than a few dollars here and there.

As far as the desktop, it will have no problems--power supplies have a nice simple toggle switch for international voltages. Other electronics have also been checked to ensure universal compatibility.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Nearly all computers have a switch on the power supply for 240/115 and the frquency of a DC power supply does not matter. All you will need is a power cord or an adaptor for your current cord.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Rasori
My girlfriend (same situation, international student) is also flying, but via Delta on another flight. She doesn't have nearly as many valuables that she wants to bring along. If we don't want to put all our eggs in one basket, what's the best split? Does Delta have any policies that would make it better to have her take my luggage and for me to take her luggage?
Thanks,
Rasori
I see potential problems with Customs by not presenting only your personal items at Customs.
It is possible items being carried for someone else may be transferred to another Customs facility for storage until the rightful owner makes claim.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OnTheAsile
I see potential problems with Customs by not presenting only your personal items at Customs.
It is possible items being carried for someone else may be transferred to another Customs facility for storage until the rightful owner makes claim.
You can't be serious. If your girlfriend gives you an item it becomes your personal item. If you give it back to her it becomes her personal item.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crwilsn
Nearly all computers have a switch on the power supply for 240/115 and the frquency of a DC power supply does not matter. All you will need is a power cord or an adaptor for your current cord.
Back in the old days, you had to open up the back of a gadget to find the main power transformer. There were two sets of leads. One set was where the power cord was attached if the device was sold in North America. The other set of leads was for the same thing sold in Europe Asia, and pretty much everywhere else. All you had to do was to take a soldering gun and move the power cord to the other set of leads.

For my turntable and real-to-reel deck (yes -- people actually had those not too long ago), I had to buy a 50hz adapter kit which consisted of swapping out a larger diameter pulley for the belt drives. You incur a small risk with any analog cooling fan motors you might have in your gear. They will run slower which will cause your equipment to gear up faster and get hotter. In some measure, you will shorten the life of the stuff.

TVs didn't work at all -- PAL versus NTSC.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Back in the old days, you had to open up the back of a gadget to find the main power transformer. There were two sets of leads. One set was where the power cord was attached if the device was sold in North America. The other set of leads was for the same thing sold in Europe Asia, and pretty much everywhere else. All you had to do was to take a soldering gun and move the power cord to the other set of leads.

For my turntable and real-to-reel deck (yes -- people actually had those not too long ago), I had to buy a 50hz adapter kit which consisted of swapping out a larger diameter pulley for the belt drives. You incur a small risk with any analog cooling fan motors you might have in your gear. They will run slower which will cause your equipment to gear up faster and get hotter. In some measure, you will shorten the life of the stuff.

TVs didn't work at all -- PAL versus NTSC.
One hundred percent accurate. Leave things like refrigerators here in the US (due to the 50/60 Hz and 110/220 issue). Most modern electronics are capable of running on 50 Hz, 220VAC, but before you plug anything in please read the label on it to make sure that it will run on 220VAC otherwise you risk letting the magic smoke out of the electronics. Wish you well on your journey.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL AA
Yep all you have to do is flip the switch on the back next to the plug in. I would spend the two quid on a British cord, a computer isn't something you want to use a plug adapter with. I would worry more about the monitor. One gorilla baggage handler or a sharp object hitting the screen will screw it up good. When you get there, if you are the handy sort, open up the computer and make sure nothing has worked loose before powering it up. If you touch anything inside, be sure to ground yourself by touching the power supply (the metal box with all the wires coming out) or metal part of the case first.

Games usually have DC adapter, all it takes is matching the DC output on a British wall wart. ASDA or some other store is bound to sell those. The only thing is most British televisions have a SCART connector rather than the RCA connectors we use. There are adapters for those as well.

Have a great time!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Rasori
I'm going to recheck shipping services as peace of mind is worth a little more than a few dollars here and there.
Good move. The mere idea of entrusting anything valuable to USAirways makes me nauseous.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Willytx
The only thing is most British televisions have a SCART connector rather than the RCA connectors we use. There are adapters for those as well.
This has become much easier due to the advent of HD - the HDMI and component standards are now the same. You may need a small SCART-component adapter but that's it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.