Wiki Posts
Search

Full male assist....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler
Full male assist....

So I decided today I would fly without ID. I admit I was a bit worried because this was a business trip and if something bad happened and I wasn't able to fly today, there would be consequences. I budgeted extra time and was ready for a fight. I got to the TSA station and they were asking the pax ahead of me for I'd which they didn't have. I told him that you don't need I'd to fly and quickly ranted about this "security". He got SSSS. They got to me, asked for my papers and told them that I had nothing. Did I have a SSN card or credit card or anything with me name on it?, she asked. Nope. With a sigh, she S'ed me and sent me to x-ray. She callled out full male assist and I got a nice rub down from a disinterested TSA guy (very polite) and he quickly screened my stuff (computer bag, coat and shoes). They all passed the swab test and my BP was handed off to another guy to write down my flight info and name only. The other pax ahead of me were put off by the extra 3-5 minutes that it took, but I'll be doing it again.
Just wanted to pass along my experience. For those interested it was HOU at about 10am.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Interesting that the ID checker would ask if you had a credit card or SSN card "or anything else" with your name on it - they wouldn't have been valid ID anyway, so what's the purpose in asking for them (assuming you had them)?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:22 pm

Yeah, What's in a name....
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
is there something less than a 'full' male assist?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AA 2MM+; Marriott Plt; SPG Gold
Just out of curiosity, how do you personally benefit from not showing your ID when going through security and why would you want to spend more time at security than necessary?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Thrillington
Just out of curiosity, how do you personally benefit from not showing your ID when going through security and why would you want to spend more time at security than necessary?
Rosa Parks didn't gain any personal benefit from staying seated (unless you think she was motivated by laziness only).

When I am asked to remove my laptop from bag, I always repack it extra carefully, which can take a looong time. I don't benefit from it (my laptop case is sturdy enough to protect it) but it delays the queue. If enough people did that, less business traveler would fly, resulting in airline loss of revenue, and suddenly, they would start caring for their (lost) customers...
Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Joseph.doakes
my BP was handed off to another guy to write down my flight info and name only.
I thought they weren't supposed to take your name down. At least that is what all the TSA folks were saying about the "form" on the thread where I related a similar story.

What airport was it at? I've had very professional/reasonable service at IAH and SEA. I've had miserable experiences at JFK and EWR.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
At leat you made a point. To me it wouldn't be worth it.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Joseph.doakes
They all passed the swab test and my BP was handed off to another guy to write down my flight info and name only.
Next time, ask them for the Privacy Act notice if they insist on taking down your name. And also ask them what system of records that info is to be stored in.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Next time, ask them for the Privacy Act notice if they insist on taking down your name. And also ask them what system of records that info is to be stored in.
If it is on electronic media, it will be subject to failure or obsolescence within
a decade or two. Plus there will be so many boxes of this crap, it will be hard to find.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
is there something less than a 'full' male assist?
A eunuch assist?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AA 2MM+; Marriott Plt; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Richelieu
Rosa Parks didn't gain any personal benefit from staying seated (unless you think she was motivated by laziness only).
A bit of a reach, don't you think?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by Thrillington
A bit of a reach, don't you think?
No, actually. Not at all.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Richelieu

When I am asked to remove my laptop from bag, I always repack it extra carefully, which can take a looong time. I don't benefit from it (my laptop case is sturdy enough to protect it) but it delays the queue. If enough people did that, less business traveler would fly, resulting in airline loss of revenue, and suddenly, they would start caring for their (lost) customers...
The airline you already paid your ticket for doesn't lose a thing if you no show. They actually gain by selling your seat to someone else.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by skylady
The airline you already paid your ticket for doesn't lose a thing if you no show. They actually gain by selling your seat to someone else.
No-shows would not be the ultimate outcome of such actions; reduced ticket sales would.

If the security lines were consistently hours long (or were otherwise extremely onerous: strip searches, no carry-on allowed, etc.), more and more business travelers would seek alternate means of transport. Up and down the northeast, that means the train. Elsewhere, it means driving or private aircraft or air taxis, depending on your budget.

Every time the rules have been ratcheted up since 9/11, some subset of people has quit flying. Some were just scared/paranoid, but others have just passed their tolerance level with the pointy-object search, shoe carnival, groping, general attitude, war-on-water, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.