Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flying to hawaii, need visa?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:16 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Arben
I am a student in California and my visa has expired. I have valid student ID, valid California ID and also I-20 from. Can I go to Hawaii for vacation?
Your CA ID is fine. Don't show them any other documents.

Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I am a student in California and my visa has expired. I have valid student ID, valid California ID and also I-20 from. Can I go to Hawaii for vacation?
You can and probably 99.9% of the time without any problem or issues. Of course traveling around the US without a valid visa could be problematic. It's a risk but I can't say and don't know how significant.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Sure. TSA isn't looking for illegal aliens for the most part, so you shouldn't have any issues.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Here is a list of "acceptable ID" for TSA purposes. If by "California ID" you mean something on this list such as a driver's license, that's what you ought to use.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

As others note, there are lots of other concerns about traveling undocumented.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Sure; don't even bother bringing your passport or anything. Just bring your valid ID.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Post International students need to have I-20 and passports handy w/ out-of-state travels

It's safe to assume the poster in question is an international student with visa involved.

Originally Posted by alphaod
Sure; don't even bother bringing your passport or anything. Just bring your valid ID.
(underline mine)

That's a very bad advice to international students traveling out-of-state to not bring all their legal IDs/documents. Not to mention when the unexpected things happen, international students will need their I-20 and passports to attend to whatever matters.

Assuming this poster had entered the States with legal and valid documentation earlier. As far as international students go, an expired visa does not affect their freedom for domestic travel. A visa is for entry purpose and only has to be valid upon POE. In this poster's case, if s/he plans to exit and re-enter US to finish school, s/he will need to get a new or extended visa upon return.

Last edited by lin821; Aug 13, 2014 at 2:37 pm Reason: change "OP" to "the poster in question" since this new question wasn't raised by OP
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by kaukau
Aloha from Hawai'i!!! Flying from the mainland U.S. to Hawai'i is only considered "international" in pricing, not politics. Flights departing from the other 49 states don't have to clear customs in the 50th! And vice versa. If your passport got you to the mainland it will also get you to Hawai'i and back! Aloha!
same applies to Puerto Rico, American Samoa, USVI; not sure about Guam
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by lin821
It's safe to assume OP is an international student with visa involved.

(underline mine)

That's a very bad advice to international students traveling out-of-state to not bring all their legal IDs/documents. Not to mention when the unexpected things happen, international students will need their I-20 and passports to attend to whatever matters.
The way it's worded makes it sound like Arben's stay in the US is invalid.

If it's totally legal, then bring your passport. Even as an American I bring my passport for domestic travel. I don't present it, but I keep it on me.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:54 am

The way it's worded makes it sound like Arben's stay in the US is invalid.

If it's totally legal, then bring your passport. Even as an American I bring my passport for domestic travel. I don't present it, but I keep it on me.
You seem to be the one who assumes the stay of the poster in question is invalid or possibly illegal. How does s/he have "invalid stay" in the States, being a current student with I-20 in California?

Don't forget it was you to advise the poster in question not to take the passport, which as I had pointed out up thread was a bad advice:

don't even bother bringing your passport or anything.
FWIW, there's a possibility for currently enrolled international students to have expired visas. The visa expiration date is not the deciding factor on whether an international student has a legitimate stay in the States or not.

Last edited by lin821; Aug 17, 2014 at 2:04 am Reason: Change "OP" to "the poster in question"
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Shall we tell him about the other exceptions? He may need his passport to enter Alabama, Georgia or South Carolina. Like Hawaii, they are often called states and considered domestic travel, but there is still lingering doubt about their full compliance with the accords of that 1865 Peace Treaty.
Passport for Alabama? More like a time machine!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:42 pm

You seem to be the one who assume OP's stay is invalid or possibly illegal. How does OP have "invalid stay" in the States, being a current student with I-20 in California?.
Well, the OP did write this: "I am a student in California and my visa has expired".

He/she clearly wrote that to indicate that eh/she is here illegally at the moment. That's not the topic of conversation, but by and large, TSA and the airlines couldn't care less if a person is a citizen, green card holder, visa holder, is visa waiver, has expired visa or never had a visa. All are treated the same on domestic flights assuming they have a valid photo ID of some sort.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
Well, the OP did write this: "I am a student in California and my visa has expired".

He/she clearly wrote that to indicate that eh/she is here illegally at the moment. That's not the topic of conversation
Yes, the poster did write that. But, no, the poster didn't give you enough info to indicate any illegal stay.

Having an expired student visa by no means indicates any illegal stay. You obviously didn't completely finish reading my earlier post either:

...there's a possibility for currently enrolled international students to have expired visas. The visa expiration date is not the deciding factor on whether an international student has a legitimate stay in the States or not.
There's the other thread that touches on the purpose of visa (also see this & this from a differrent thread). I guess the expired visa did bring worries to the poster in question and that's why it's worth mentioning and discussing, especially when some folks don't understand what an expired student visa means.

Last edited by lin821; Aug 13, 2014 at 2:50 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:04 pm

Yes, the poster did write that. But, no, the poster didn't give you enough info to indicate any illegal stay.

Having an expired student visa by no means indicates any illegal stay. You obviously didn't completely finish reading my earlier post either:

There's the other thread that touches on the purpose of visa (also see this & this from a differrent thread). I guess the expired visa did bring worries to the poster in question and that's why it's worth mentioning and discussing, especially when some folks don't understand what an expired student visa means.
Ok, so the OP probably thinks they're here illegally. If not, why even bring up the visa question at all? He/she thinks there's a chance of ICE/CBP problems by going to Hawaii. Unless there's a status that restricts a foreigner from traveling from one state to another.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Blogndog
same applies to Puerto Rico, American Samoa, USVI; not sure about Guam
Very, very wrong. Only Puerto Rico is within the main US immigration and customs jurisdiction. Everywhere else you're outside US customs zone. American Samoa remains its own immigration jurisdiction. US citizens can be deported.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by catocony
Ok, so the OP probably thinks they're here illegally. If not, why even bring up the visa question at all?
Why not? The poster simply asked a question s/he didn't have the answer to.

I really don't follow your logic about being illegal. When an American asked if the passport is needed when traveling to Hawaii, you think that American is being or doing something illegal as well?

For those who know better probably won't ask this line of visa/passport questions w/r/t visiting Hawaii. For those who do have to ask, it just means they are ill-informed. Being less knowledgeable doesn't make any person illegal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.