Asthma Inhaler - are they banned?

Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Asthma Inhaler - are they banned?

Travelling AKL-SYD-SFO and beyond on Thurs - just wondering if anyone has had an experience of whether or not asthma inhalers containing a liquid inhalation (ie, albuterol) are banned at present? I am away from home and have no way of getting a prescription saying I need this. thanks all for any help.

KiwiPanda
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:31 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I had no problems at LAX and proof of prescription wasn't asked for. At check in , I was given a plastic bag to put it in and advised to present it to the TSA (who didn't have a problem with it).

Edited to add: I took a salbutamol aerosol on board.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:04 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Glad to hear that it didn't cause any problems. I plan on taking an advair/albuterol with me next week and I was getting kind of worried. Or maybe it's also luck of the draw with the TSA professional.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Scrips with your name on it, matching your ID, are specifically NOT banned.
As of 8-13, even OTC drugs are not banned, in up to 4 oz quantitites.
TSA has a post on the web with details. Some airports, e.g. RDU, have posted printouts/photocopies of it all over the place. Heh, RDU had them posted in the parking deck yesterday. Nice job.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:51 am

They thought I was carrying a gun

Coming back from MCO last October, I was detained at the security check where they xray your carry-on stuff. They went through one of my bags, taking everything in and out a couple of times, and then sent it back through the machine.

Found out 20 mins later they thought they had seen the silhouette of a small pistol. Turned out it was my albuterol inhaler.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:20 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ZeppoX
Scrips with your name on it, matching your ID, are specifically NOT banned.
My inhalers always come in a box that has the scrip printed on it. I either throw the box away or shove it in a drawer somewhere but the inhaler itself doesn't have a scrip on it. Good to know there's no problem flying with these since I'd never be able to prove it's a prescription medicine.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:27 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The best and appropriate forum for these Qs. is Travel Safety/Security and I'll move it there for discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Mod, TravelBuzz
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DrMaturin
My inhalers always come in a box that has the scrip printed on it. I either throw the box away or shove it in a drawer somewhere but the inhaler itself doesn't have a scrip on it. Good to know there's no problem flying with these since I'd never be able to prove it's a prescription medicine.
Same here. I'm not yet convinced there's not going to be a problem.

Bruce
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by KiwiPanda
Travelling AKL-SYD-SFO and beyond on Thurs - just wondering if anyone has had an experience of whether or not asthma inhalers containing a liquid inhalation (ie, albuterol) are banned at present? I am away from home and have no way of getting a prescription saying I need this. thanks all for any help.

KiwiPanda
Inhalers are allowed. They were not at first, but CNN reported todat that a woman at Heathrow airport had hers taken and then she had an asthma attack at the gate. The paramedics had to come, the flight got delayed...yadda yadda. So due to this almost death caused by the continuing stupidity of TSA (which also restricts jeely donuts (not glazed) and bagels With Cream Cheese (not plain) they now allow inhalers.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Actually, it's not the TSA at LHR . Personally, I'm glad I started my trip the day before all this started; had I been refused my salbutomol, I would have had to refuse to get on the plane. I've managed without my medication for 24+ hours at a time but always need it several time in a long haul flight (indeed, in any air conditioned enviroment).
Old May 31, 2012, 11:04 am

Inhalers. Can you have them hand checked by TSA?

Their website offers no directive.

The TSO at one airport said yes, and did the hand check, then on the return flight another insisted it be placed in X-Ray.

So I have no resources for an official answer.
Old May 31, 2012, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
My asthma-related inhalers have never, ever attracted any attention at any airport anywhere.

Bruce
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Just in case TSA or foreign checker have an issue with my inhaler, I keep the box with the scrip label with me. I just undo all the flaps and carry it flat. Takes no space in my bag. Same with my Epi-pen box. It would be my luck to forget the box one day and have a TSA clerk on a power trip try to force me to "voluntarily surrender" my inhaler or Epi-pen :-)
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I do the flat box routine as well.

Originally Posted by slidergirl
Just in case TSA or foreign checker have an issue with my inhaler, I keep the box with the scrip label with me. I just undo all the flaps and carry it flat. Takes no space in my bag. Same with my Epi-pen box. It would be my luck to forget the box one day and have a TSA clerk on a power trip try to force me to "voluntarily surrender" my inhaler or Epi-pen :-)
I put the meds in a separate Zippy Bag and have them in the top of my pile of stuff in the TSA bin. No issues, ever.

Recently a TSA person told me that it would be OK for my meds to be in my carry on bag....'less likely to be stolen'. Yikes!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I put the meds in a separate Zippy Bag and have them in the top of my pile of stuff in the TSA bin. No issues, ever.

Recently a TSA person told me that it would be OK for my meds to be in my carry on bag....'less likely to be stolen'. Yikes!
I have never removed them -- and never been challenged or hassled about it.

Bruce

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.