Wiki Posts
Search

I had duct tape confiscated...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Thumbs down I had duct tape confiscated...

We were leaving Cabo today, and I get pulled over for screening at the gate. The agent looks through my backpack, and pulls out my red duct tape I used to seal our cooler of fish at check-in. He says something to another agent, and says to me, "I'm sorry, you can't take this." What?!?!? We're afraid of duct tape now? It was the good stuff, too.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:43 pm

When did duct tape make it onto the prohibited list? Oh wait, the list is "not intended to be all-inclusive". Interestingly enough when I was searching for duct tape on google I came up with this article again that mentions handcuffs. By what rationale are those not permitted?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7670500/
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Theyt took my spray starch away too, even though it was the smaller European size can. Not really worth arguing w/ Airport security unless you know someone important enough to be able to fish you out of a tight spot.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
While I think that confiscating duct tape is assine, at the same time, this seems to have been done by Mexican authorities in Cabo rather than the TSA. That is, unless I read something wrong.

By the same token, it's sad to see that American stupidity continues to spread to other countries.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Wink

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
They took my spray starch away too

Well, duct tape is questionable but spray starch.....now there's a seriously dangerous weapon that deserves to be confiscated!
Can you imagine the havoc that would be created if you could manage to spray the flight crew?? And if you were also able to smuggle an iron onboard.
The implications boggle the mind.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:28 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Maybe they thought you looked like MacGyver. He can do almost anything with duct tape.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:53 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Well there goes another item off the budget travel list. I guess there's now precedent using duct tape to make a terror weapon !
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:08 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by Cholula
Well, duct tape is questionable but spray starch.....now there's a seriously dangerous weapon that deserves to be confiscated!
Can you imagine the havoc that would be created if you could manage to spray the flight crew?? And if you were also able to smuggle an iron onboard.
The implications boggle the mind.
Aerosol spray with a lighter held in front of it can make for a McGyver-style flame thrower.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:10 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Aerosol spray with a lighter held in front of it can make for a McGyver-style flame thrower.
You're right, they still allow matches even if they do take your lighter.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
No Pun Monday

Originally Posted by trm2
Maybe they thought you looked like MacGyver. He can do almost anything with duct tape.
My thoughts too. Mac can make anything out of nothing.

In the World According to MacGyver, duct tape now qualifies as a "weapon of mass construction."
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Theyt took my spray starch away too, even though it was the smaller European size can. Not really worth arguing w/ Airport security unless you know someone important enough to be able to fish you out of a tight spot.
As FWAA pointed out in a prior thread: "The Hazmat list of no-fly items is within the province of the FAA. Always has been. A can of spray starch is prohibited as an aerosol can by the FAA, not the airlines."

These are the restrictions.

If you look you can see a can of starch.

As Bart has pointed out previously, the general FAA rule is that aerosol cans are not permitted inside the cabin. The exception to this general rule are personal toiletry articles. Personal toiletry articles are those things you apply directly to your body. Hairspray, deodorant, insect repellent are toiletry articles. Starch, oven cleaner, spray paint are not.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.16)

It was the Mexican authorities, not the TSA. I'm no Bruce Lee, but many ordinary objects can be weapons if you try. I actually wanted the tape to keep the seat in front of me from reclining.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good thing the Space Shuttle crews aren't screened by the TSA

Today's news reports that duct tape was suggested to repair a loose jetpack:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060711/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA
I've never seen anyone try to take duct tape away from someone at PHL. Not saying it hasn't happened, I've just never witnessed it at the checkpoint I work at. It's funny you mention spray starch. On Sunday, I had a woman travelling to Disney with her kids pull a small can of spray starch out of her bag and ask me if it was okay to take with her. Someone told her that you weren't allowed to take any aerosol sprays on the plane. I let her know that small amounts of aerosols like deodorant are okay and I looked at the size of the can and seeing it was only 3oz, I told her she's ok and to enjoy her vacation.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL GLD, AA PLT, PC PLT, NATL Emrld
Originally Posted by redbeard911
We were leaving Cabo today, and I get pulled over for screening at the gate. The agent looks through my backpack, and pulls out my red duct tape I used to seal our cooler of fish at check-in. He says something to another agent, and says to me, "I'm sorry, you can't take this." What?!?!? We're afraid of duct tape now? It was the good stuff, too.
DUCT TAPE, give me a break. If someone can make a weapon to commandeer or disable a plane they should be given a Nobel Prize. I'm completely befuddled. Maybe in the future we will all just fly completely naked and sans any sort of carry on whatsoever. Airplanes will be like a giant flying German sauna - without the heat. Next, they will begin confiscating rubber bands because they could be flipped as a projectile at the FA's and other airline personnel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.