Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I had duct tape confiscated...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AGR, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by viajero7889
Next, they will begin confiscating rubber bands because they could be flipped as a projectile at the FA's and other airline personnel.
It wouldn't suprise me if they did start taking rubber bands. Last January at UA ticket agent confiscated the two bungee cords I had wrapped around my sleeping bag. He told me that those dangerous little metal hooks could hit someone in the eye.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by gliere
It wouldn't suprise me if they did start taking rubber bands. Last January at UA ticket agent confiscated the two bungee cords I had wrapped around my sleeping bag. He told me that those dangerous little metal hooks could hit someone in the eye.
Nah, he probably needed them for to hold the trunk closed on the stuff he was picking up at Home Depot on the way home.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Only Macs will be outlawed

Originally Posted by viajero7889
Next, they will begin confiscating rubber bands because they could be flipped as a projectile at the FA's and other airline personnel.
Heck yes. Hook a lot of rubberbands on the corners of a laptop, add your ball point pen, and ITS A CROSSBOW.

TSA should hire the MacGuyver series writers to be consultants. Have them devise every "Improvised Mac-type" weapon that can be made out of everything on a plane plus all allowed carry on material. Then ban the lot.

For example: The seat belt demo they give the FA. "Improvised handcuff substitute". Ban it.

A belt plus a lap top charging transformer is an ancient projectile delivery weapon system called a sling. Don't think its a weapon that can destruct a large mass? Ask Goliath what David could do with one of those things. Ban it.

Only totally safe outcome is when all pax will be naked, sedated, and sealed in an individual metal box for the duration of the flight. (Diapers will be available for a $5 fee.) Only after pax have been x-rayed for surgically implanted time bombs, of course.

In the quest for total airline safety, cargo, of course, will continue to be totally unscreened to avoid the charge of "cargo profiling".
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:08 pm

Just as a point of reference: RED tape is always encouraged by the TSA Hide-'n-seekers.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
at DFW on 7/13 they were limiting pencils to 2

it didn't matter, sharpened or not!
Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:50 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
I thought duct tape and plastic sheeting were official self protection devices recommended by DHS

Old Jul 17, 2006, 2:26 am

Programs: TG Gold, NW Gold and various other bits of plastic...
I had a few rolls of masking tape confiscated on a flight from Manila to Bangkok last year. This was the same masking tape (minus a couple of rolls that I had used in Manila) that had flown from Sydney to Bangkok the previous week and from Bangkok to Manila that week. I questioned why they confiscated it and was told that it could be used to tape people's hands together like handcuffs. This was told to me with a straight face and with the requisite hand gestures.

Tape was actually on the Manila security list of prohibited items (along with other dangerous items like disposable razor blades) and the security person told me that he would not allow me to take them on the plane without authorisation from the airline. After he sat there for a few minutes not contacting the airline for that authorisation, I told him that he could keep the tape and walked off.

It's not only Mexico and the US that have crazy restrictions on what can and cannot be brought on the plane...

I've not yet had my disposable razor blades confiscated by Manila security but I'm secretly hoping they try it so I can find out the justification for them being on the prohibited items list...
Old Jul 17, 2006, 2:40 am
Original Member

I think it was Mexico. Friends went fishing in Mexico and as they were coming back thru customs, had only the duct tape confiscated also. Basically, agent just took it, couldn't do anything about it.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:10 am

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
I agree , duct tape is BAD,

if someone is going to hijack the plane they can duck tape the FA,
I feel the same about plastic wire ties or big chunks of rope,

This is carry on afterall, its all fine in checked luggage.....

Rally
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Tie me Up-Not

Originally Posted by rally
I agree , duct tape is BAD,
or big chunks of rope,
Two feet of strong material can tie up a pair of wrists.

Want to handcuff someone, almost any belt will do. Every pax has one. Allowed by TSA.

Rip the elastic band off some mens briefs, strong as heck and great for handcuffs. Rip a strip off the bottom of a t shirt, great for tying up hands. Do we put clear doors on the lav so we can see if someone is in there ripping their undershirt into "improvised handcuffs"?

The shoulder strap on a purse, duffel bag, or camera bag is a strong web with quick snaps on the end--great handcuff material.

My shoes have no bombs in them(Thanks to Reed and TSA for making sure of that) but 42 inch shoe laces each. Allowed on the plane. That is "two improvised handcuffs" in Pretend Speak.

How long is a "big chunk of rope"? Is a small chunk OK? What about wire? Strong as rope. Every biz pax has 4 feet of wire on their cell phone charger, 4 feet on their laptop charger,4 feet on their DVD/Ipod charger, and 4 feet on their Bose NC headphones. So 16 feet of wire is OK in four sections, but not in one? The average pax has enough wire for 8 improvised handcuffs. Allowed by TSA.

Where does it end?

I was not joking when I wrote "Only totally safe outcome is when all pax will be naked, sedated, and sealed in an individual metal box for the duration of the flight. (Diapers will be available for a $5 fee.) Only after pax have been x-rayed for surgically implanted time bombs, of course."

Other than banning commercial aviation, it is the only 100% safe outcome. Unless there is a need for emergency evacuation of the plane. Then you're bar-b-qued in your metal box. Small price to pay for complete safety from your fellow pax, right?

Unless a airline employee or FA or pilot is a mole or flips out, but nothing can prevent that.

Better not get out of bed, the world is not safe to venture out into. Oops, most people die in bed, guess that is not such a safe place either.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by grahamb
I had a few rolls of masking tape confiscated on a flight from Manila to Bangkok last year. This was the same masking tape (minus a couple of rolls that I had used in Manila) that had flown from Sydney to Bangkok the previous week and from Bangkok to Manila that week. I questioned why they confiscated it and was told that it could be used to tape people's hands together like handcuffs. This was told to me with a straight face and with the requisite hand gestures.

Tape was actually on the Manila security list of prohibited items (along with other dangerous items like disposable razor blades) and the security person told me that he would not allow me to take them on the plane without authorisation from the airline. After he sat there for a few minutes not contacting the airline for that authorisation, I told him that he could keep the tape and walked off.

It's not only Mexico and the US that have crazy restrictions on what can and cannot be brought on the plane...

I've not yet had my disposable razor blades confiscated by Manila security but I'm secretly hoping they try it so I can find out the justification for them being on the prohibited items list...
I am going to venture a guess that in some Third World countries they "confiscate" anything that might be of value on a local black market.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by gliere
I purchased a bungee with soft plastic endhooks for just this reason; TSA took that one, too. C'mon guys, it's ELASTIC -- if I'm going to restrain someone I really don't think that a cord that stretches is going to be all that effective.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by ND Sol
As FWAA pointed out in a prior thread: "The Hazmat list of no-fly items is within the province of the FAA. Always has been. A can of spray starch is prohibited as an aerosol can by the FAA, not the airlines."

These are the restrictions.

If you look you can see a can of starch.

As Bart has pointed out previously, the general FAA rule is that aerosol cans are not permitted inside the cabin. The exception to this general rule are personal toiletry articles. Personal toiletry articles are those things you apply directly to your body. Hairspray, deodorant, insect repellent are toiletry articles. Starch, oven cleaner, spray paint are not.
Thanks. I wasn't complaining about it, just wanted the OP to know there are other odd items that can be confiscated... If it's a banned item, it's banned period. I won't argue with the TSA Officer about it because it's not his/her decision to place an item on the list.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:03 am
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Ok,

i wonder what McGywer would have made out of a ladies bra? I bet you it can be made into a meal service slingshot, which could have devastating effects on the operation of a plane. TSA to the Rescue! Confiscate those pesky Weapons of Mass Seduction!

(ok, it's late and i'm jetlagged -this may be in bad taste but hey, i had a good time typing it)..
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
I am going to venture a guess that in some Third World countries they "confiscate" anything that might be of value on a local black market.
I also had duct tape confiscated in Manila but I don't think there is a market value for duct tape...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.