Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Puffer/Scanner at security in FLL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:54 am

I used to refuse to remove my shoes. I finally gave up since it's faster and easier for me to just do it, and easier on me to not get PO-ed about it. Though I agree completely. The cig lighter rules are equally stupid.

I don't go through the puffer at SFO.

BTW, I believe that if the machine finds (sniffs?) something, the doors won't open on their own. The device also serves as a "man" trap. (or should I say "person" trap?) Anyway, they don't really have to watch you in there. Maybe if it finds something serious, it should just activate the disintegration beam?

-David
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Unless someone can update with a more recent experience, the puffer setup at EWR T-A still requires shoe removal before going through the WTMD after clearing the puffer.

I still refuse to go through that line.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:44 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Unless someone can update with a more recent experience, the puffer setup at EWR T-A still requires shoe removal before going through the WTMD after clearing the puffer.

I still refuse to go through that line.
That's because a few airports like EWR and DEN have filthy little shoe pervert FSDs who make sicko fetish videos via the surveillance cameras at the checkpoints.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
As the OP of this thread, let me reiterate that my question concerns what exactly these machines are doing and how. I have no qualms with more effective detection of explosives. But if I knew that I was being subjected to some possibly harmful force, xray, etc, I think I would object. I'm entitled to know what the machine is doing to me. Also, if this equipment entails some of the "Superman" technology I've read about in some beta tested TSA scanners, where they can see under your clothes and even see your "anatomy", then I would definately feel violated.

I'd take the shoe carnival any day over being electronically searched (and I still was asked to remove my shoes in FLL anyway). And I doubt they are only sniffing for explosives, likely other contraband as well.

The puffer line was moving at half the speed as the regular line. I was given no choice about which line I went through. A TSA officer directed my to the puffer without choice, my travelling partner was directed to the regular line. He was out and waiting for me for a while by the time I emerged.

So, if anybody has knowledge of what this thing is doing and can explain it, please post the information. Or maybe that is "classified" because of the war on terror? And why won't they tell you anything about the machine before you enter it?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by DESMOINESguy

So, if anybody has knowledge of what this thing is doing and can explain it, please post the information. Or maybe that is "classified" because of the war on terror? And why won't they tell you anything about the machine before you enter it?
The puffs of air dislodge microparticles from your person and your clothes. These microparticles are then analyzed and compared with known chemical entities such as plastic and more conventional explosives. Assuming you have none of these on your person and have not been in contact with such, you will get a green light to exit after about 10-15 sec in the puffer. There are no harmful x-rays or other scans of your person being performed.

These machines can be calibrated to detect narcotics. I am told that the machines in use by the TSA are not calibrated in this matter. If we see headlines of a drug bust at a security checkpoint, then we would know such a calibration is in place.

The GE EntryScan3 and IonScan Sentinel II are non-invasive, non-harmful ways of checking for explosives.

If FLL is telling you to de-shoe and use the puffer, then they are wasting your time. There is absolutely no need to de-shoe and you should file a very angry complaint indeed.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AGR, Club Carlson
So for the last six months I have been putting on my face two different perscription sulphur-based acne treatment creams, (which have been working quite well) and I also know that sulphur is flammable and is used in matches, gunpowder, fireworks, etc., so if I go through one of these puffer machines and it dislodges microparticals from my skin, will I test postive because of all the sulphur I've been slathering on my face?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by gliere
So for the last six months I have been putting on my face two different perscription sulphur-based acne treatment creams, (which have been working quite well) and I also know that sulphur is flammable and is used in matches, gunpowder, fireworks, etc., so if I go through one of these puffer machines and it dislodges microparticals from my skin, will I test postive because of all the sulphur I've been slathering on my face?
Very unlikely. While sulphur is used for those purposes, the more reactive component is sodium/potassium nitrate, in gunpowder and other conventional explosives. Its presence is more indicative of an explosive than elemental sulphur is.

Everyone exhales sulphur. It is one of the sources of halitosis.

Last edited by Spiff; Feb 7, 2006 at 12:49 pm
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:47 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
I'm heading through FLL twice this weekend and will report back as to my experiences. If I go through the portal I will absolutely refuse to remove my shoes.

Last edited by Savvy Traveler; Feb 8, 2006 at 9:55 am
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Sydneysider
I'm heaing through FLL twice this weekend and will report back as to my experiences. If I go through the portal I will absolutely refuse to remove my shoes.
^ ^

Complain if you get full secondary or even get ETD after the puffer!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:11 am

"Also, if this equipment entails some of the "Superman" technology I've read about in some beta tested TSA scanners, where they can see under your clothes and even see your "anatomy", then I would definately feel violated."

Well... If that would be the case, then I'd mess with them (clip a bell on my nuts or something similar).

Kinda like if I was a celebrity and papparazzis would be hunting me, I'd do stupid stuff on purpose (i.e. wear a pink thong backwards with each nut hanging on each side). I'd make them stop taking photos of me by being extremelly obscene.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by herzmeh
"Also, if this equipment entails some of the "Superman" technology I've read about in some beta tested TSA scanners, where they can see under your clothes and even see your "anatomy", then I would definately feel violated."

Well... If that would be the case, then I'd mess with them (clip a bell on my nuts or something similar).

Kinda like if I was a celebrity and papparazzis would be hunting me, I'd do stupid stuff on purpose (i.e. wear a pink thong backwards with each nut hanging on each side). I'd make them stop taking photos of me by being extremelly obscene.
Rest assured that the puffer machines do not do any kind of passenger imaging.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by herzmeh

Puffer machines can't do human imaging. It just takes samples of air and analyzes it.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
Thanks Spiff for your clarification on what this machine does. I feel much better about it now. Seems like they should provide more information to PAX about what this machine does, perhaps a putting up a sign or poster or something. There was nothing and when I asked the attendent was simply told about air puffs (which I could already see and hear) and that "it won't hurt you in any way". Soon we'll likely all be used to these things and it will be a non issue. I assume they'll be deploying more and more of them.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Rest assured that the puffer machines do not do any kind of passenger imaging.
Even if they did, I wouldn't care.

I'm picking the lesser of two evils... something a-la 9/11 sounds less attractive than dealing with TSA and their toys.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Spiff
Very unlikely. While sulphur is used for those purposes, the more reactive component is sodium/potassium nitrate, in gunpowder and other conventional explosives. Its presence is more indicative of an explosive than elemental sulphur is.

Everyone exhales sulphur. It is one of the sources of halitosis.
You certainly seem to know a lot about the uses of sodium/potassium nitrate (not to mention bad breath). Must be the academia in you. Still, just to be safe, I'm going to refer you to the TSA and make sure you end up on the no-fly list. I know it may make it a little inconvenient for you but, well, you know, anything for security...

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.