Community
Wiki Posts
Search

do body piercings set off alarms?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
body piercings set off alarms in some of us old fogies! however, if i wore an ornament, i would probably test it & if it set off the detector, would put it in my carry on after that. good luck!

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited Jan 12, 2004).]
Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:25 am
Suspended

What amuses me is how people will sometimes volunteer the fact that they have some pretty intimate body piercings whenever they alarm the WTMD, and often with opposite genders (more women volunteer this information to male screeners). Reminds me of a cute little incident that occured when I was a contract screener. A male passenger alarmed the WTMD and boasted as he pointed towards his genitals that he had a piercing. The female screener intended to explain to the passenger that there wasn't enough metal in piercing alone to set off the alarm. But what she said instead was, "no, sir...it's not big enough."
Old Jan 18, 2004, 10:42 am

Spiff, I want to compliment you on the information you supplied and the intelligent conversations. We know that the travel can be ridiculous with all that the TSA puts you through. The persons posting here do not have the power to change the polices and procedures but we are charged with enforcing them.

With conversation we try to understand others views and work towards common ground.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TSAMGR:
Spiff, I want to compliment you on the information you supplied and the intelligent conversations. We know that the travel can be ridiculous with all that the TSA puts you through. The persons posting here do not have the power to change the polices and procedures but we are charged with enforcing them.

With conversation we try to understand others views and work towards common ground.
</font>
Thank you. The conversations of late with you have been pleasant as well. My opinion of your agency remains the same, but it's posters like you that give a glimmer of hope that your agency may someday come to its senses.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jan 18, 2004, 5:49 pm

&gt;&gt;My opinion of your agency remains the same&lt;&lt;

Understandable, we have our own problems with it.

Now if we could just get CameraGuy to relax and stop calling us thieves, hacks and Nazis we could have some intelligent discussions.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
Here in FL spring break is very interesting. Lots of private screenings due to piercings.</font>
How are these private screenings done?
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by INDtoSEA:
How are these private screenings done?</font>
First we take you into a small darkened room full of miniture poodles. You are then made to strip down to your "g" string and told to get on your knees. Once this is done , we cover the poodles in vasoline. We then smear bacon grease all over your body and let the greasy poodles lick you until they find your piercing. At that time you are wanded and sent on your way.

Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:28 pm

I just saw a letter to the editor in Business Week saying that most walk-through detectors sense only ferromagnetic objects, which is not a property of American coins. If this is the case, then why are we asked to remove all change (besides that we might leave it behind and decrease the budget deficit)?

Interesting aside, is that our paper money is ferromagnetic, so the walk-through detector could be set so that paper money could be sensed.

If the foregoing is true, then one could walk through a security point with a stainless steel sword without it being detected by the machine?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:02 pm

Will a stainless steel belly button piercing set off a metal detector?

Originally Posted by TSAMGR
Depends on size, mass and type of metal.
I am currently 14 and got a belly button piercing a few days ago so January 3, 2017. I just found out I'm going to the airport February 2, 2017. About a month from the time I pierced it at home. I used a piercing kit and its not infected and healing well. I have a stainless steel 14 gauge in my naval. My mom doesn't know about it but my dad does. So I was wondering if it will go off in the metal detector or should I put the piercing in my suitcase and use a plastic clear piercing until I get through security or until I land? Cover it with a band aid? Or what are some things I can do?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by lucas.smith
I am currently 14 and got a belly button piercing a few days ago so January 3, 2017. I just found out I'm going to the airport February 2, 2017. About a month from the time I pierced it at home. I used a piercing kit and its not infected and healing well. I have a stainless steel 14 gauge in my naval. My mom doesn't know about it but my dad does. So I was wondering if it will go off in the metal detector or should I put the piercing in my suitcase and use a plastic clear piercing until I get through security or until I land? Cover it with a band aid? Or what are some things I can do?
Welcome to flyertalk.

I would suggest consulting your parent. Also, hiding things from one parent or the other is not advised. Honesty as they say is the best policy.

But if I were you and I was flying in your situation and with my mother ..... swap it out to plastic for the trips through security.

Have fun, read often and study hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.