Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please do not lock your luggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2003, 11:25 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
Maybe if they were actually doing something instead of standing around with their thumbs up their collective butts, they would not have to hear us TAXPAYERS make those comments.</font>
Screeners are taxpayers also, so what's your point? What do you think they should do?
Old Feb 2, 2003, 11:26 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RS:
Fantastic defense for drug smugglers! That kilo of heroin? It must have been put in by that guy with the cap!

Aren't you glad they stopped asking those stupid questions about who packed your luggage and has it been under your control? Can you imagine 100,000 passengers a day now saying, "Hmmm? I guess I did leave it on a conveyor belt with strangers for about the last 4 hours before this connecting flight."

[This message has been edited by RS (edited 02-02-2003).]
</font>
If you are trying to move that much dope, they are watching you anyway.

Old Feb 2, 2003, 5:15 pm

IIRC, this is exactly what they do at LHR, the busiest airport in Europe and perhaps the busiest truly "international" airport in the world.

Since the TSA does have the proverbial cast of "Thousands," surely it too can duplicate this policy?

As an aside: I'm simply going to check my Glock 19 anytime I need to check luggage. That should, in theory, keep the TSA gurus from cracking open my luggage outside of my physical presence.

Actually It will still be opened. Firearms must be unloaded and declared to go through with checked baggage. They must also be in their own locked case. If it has been declared then TSA will see that and if the alarm was on the firearm then the bag will be sent on its way. The locked firearm case will not be opened by us. If it is not declared then Law Enforcement will be called and they will take it from there.

Here is another good on: Taking Scissors Away

Ok. Intro. I am your basic screener employed with TSA. I hold a PhD and have many computer certifications. I chose to be a part of TSA because 9/11 impacted me greatly and I wanted to do something to help. I cannot say that I agree with all of TSA's policies but as an employee I must follow them. I am very familiar with the airlines. (pilots license, A & P ticket) I will be very honest in answering questions posted to me but I will NOT divulge any sensitive information.I also have a background in military aviation.

Please do not disect my spelling or grammer as my degree is not in English and there is no spellchecker on this board. 8oP

My goal on this board is to learn passenger complaints and maybe solutions to problems.

Now for the disclaimer.
Everything I post here is my personal opinion and is in no way the opinion of TSA. I speak for myself only.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 5:20 pm

I will also try to get solutions implemented if I think they are well thought out and plausible. Of course I have no control over the solutions once I have submitted them.

Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2003, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. TSA:
IIRC, this is exactly what they do at LHR, the busiest airport in Europe and perhaps the busiest truly "international" airport in the world.

Since the TSA does have the proverbial cast of "Thousands," surely it too can duplicate this policy?

As an aside: I'm simply going to check my Glock 19 anytime I need to check luggage. That should, in theory, keep the TSA gurus from cracking open my luggage outside of my physical presence.

Actually It will still be opened. Firearms must be unloaded and declared to go through with checked baggage. They must also be in their own locked case. If it has been declared then TSA will see that and if the alarm was on the firearm then the bag will be sent on its way. The locked firearm case will not be opened by us. If it is not declared then Law Enforcement will be called and they will take it from there.

Here is another good on: Taking Scissors Away

Ok. Intro. I am your basic screener employed with TSA. I hold a PhD and have many computer certifications. I chose to be a part of TSA because 9/11 impacted me greatly and I wanted to do something to help. I cannot say that I agree with all of TSA's policies but as an employee I must follow them. I am very familiar with the airlines. (pilots license, A & P ticket) I will be very honest in answering questions posted to me but I will NOT divulge any sensitive information.I also have a background in military aviation.

Please do not disect my spelling or grammer as my degree is not in English and there is no spellchecker on this board. 8oP

My goal on this board is to learn passenger complaints and maybe solutions to problems.

Now for the disclaimer.
Everything I post here is my personal opinion and is in no way the opinion of TSA. I speak for myself only.
</font>
What type of military aviation background. I was a mastercrewchief in the Army. I also have an A&P.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Check my bags? Not on your life.

I laugh at the AAgent every time I reply to: "Number of bags to check today, Spiff?" "Zero. I'll never check another bag again as long as the presently disgusting TSA checked bag screening policy is in place." Nearly every AAgent has sympathised with me as to how stupid and unaccountable the current process is.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
I'll be laughing at your response as I pop the locks off of your luggage and then it may make your flight if it is found at all.

</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Feb 2, 2003, 6:37 pm

Navy Mechanic/Search and Rescue
Old Feb 3, 2003, 6:56 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I posted this in response to another thread on locking luggage but it bears repeating here:

Do yourself a favor and ship your gear. Don't let the TSA get near it. A friend checked a brand new monitor through and they opened it to search it, including removing it from the plastic bag. When it arrived it was missing the plastic bag and the power cord, had been placed in the box backwards so that it did not align with the styrofoam packing at the bottom, and they just decided to leave the top packing material out of the box.

$@%#&#ing IDIOTS!

Edited for better expletive censoring

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 02-04-2003).]
Old Feb 3, 2003, 7:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
I find it interesting that the makers of these machines all of a sudden realize that there is a 30% failure rate. I think that they knew it all along and will sell the government the software upgrade for a fee. </font>

They didn't just realize. It has been known along and the TSA bought them anyway (with much encouraging from Daschle).

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 02-03-2003).]
Old Feb 3, 2003, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:

They didn't just realize. It has been known along and the TSA bought them anyway (with much encouraging from Daschle).

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 02-03-2003).]
</font>
What other machines had a better rate?

Old Feb 3, 2003, 5:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Let me get this straight:

Since the only machines on the market have a 30% false positive rate, we should buy them? This is pure and utter nonsense and the usual governemnt waste.

The 30% false positive machines were evaluated by the airline industry after Pan Am - Lockerbie. They were rejected because they did NOT work. So, along comes Tom ("You can't professionalize until you federalize") Daschle and his wife Linda to save the day for the rejected manufacturer.

Tom:

Where is this professionalism you promised us?
Old Feb 5, 2003, 4:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
Let me get this straight:

Since the only machines on the market have a 30% false positive rate, we should buy them? This is pure and utter nonsense and the usual governemnt waste.
</font>
Actually, there are alternatives. Denver was supposed to be testing a smaller, faster, less expensive, more efficient machine that could tell the difference between chocolate and explosives. The problem? It's made in Germany.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 5:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Louie_LI:
Actually, there are alternatives. Denver was supposed to be testing a smaller, faster, less expensive, more efficient machine that could tell the difference between chocolate and explosives. The problem? It's made in Germany.</font>
The problem is that Linda Daschle isn't a lobbyist for that company.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 2:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dr. TSA:
I will also try to get solutions implemented if I think they are well thought out and plausible. Of course I have no control over the solutions once I have submitted them.
Thanks
</font>
Dr. TSA...here's one for you. When is TSA going to stop the requiring laptops be removed from their cases?? And why is it just laptops that have to be removed?? If someone has a radio, camera,Gameboy, GPS receiver or other electronics laden item in their carry on, these don't have to be removed. What is so unique about laptops??

Old Feb 6, 2003, 3:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cholula:

Dr. TSA...here's one for you. When is TSA going to stop the requiring laptops be removed from their cases?? And why is it just laptops that have to be removed?? If someone has a radio, camera,Gameboy, GPS receiver or other electronics laden item in their carry on, these don't have to be removed. What is so unique about laptops??

</font>
Hi Cholula,

The best answer I can give you is that laptops are rather dense on the x-ray. If they ever DO stop requiring they be removed, there'd be about a 98% chance your bag would get flagged for a secondary screening to clear up areas that would be near impossible to clear by X-Ray.

Also, although only laptops are asked about, quite often this problem arises with DVD players, X Box and Game Cube game consoles and other electronics.

(Spelling)

[This message has been edited by JustanotherScreener (edited 02-06-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.