Wiki Posts
Search

UPS (Battery Backup) in checked bags?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

UPS (Battery Backup) in checked bags?

hello, looking for an answer to this.
i have called both cathay and singapore to ask if it is possible to check a ups battery backup into my luggage going from sfo-ceb. after waiting long times with both airlines, neither could answer me definetively.

the unit i want to check is a cyberpower pfc1500 which uses a sealed lead battery. i know that wet leads are not permitted but ups's use a dry/solid sealed lead. anyone have experience with this?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Sealed Lead batteries are not considered Dangerous Goods:

http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA156544/

Suggest you call the cargo department of CX/SQ first and ask for the Hazmat person. IATA SHIPPING NAME: UN2800, Battery, Wet, Non-Spillable, Class 8, PG, III.

From there they hopefully should direct you to the proper person. Sorry I do not have an answer for you- many years (a few past lives ago) since I was a freight forwarder.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:34 am

In my experience you likely won't find someone (who you will directly be able to reach out to) that will know the answer. You might want to look into a dedicated shipper like UPS/FedEx. They have DG teams that know the regulations of battery carriage.

You might be surprised with how cheap some of those options may be.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:33 am

Years ago when I was living in the Philippines, my mum shipped me an APC UPS. No problems.

Just ship it via LBC or some Philippine courier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.