Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Are clear bags with zips considered "resealable"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Am trying to see if I could achieve HBO for my upcoming trip, and looking at solutions for toiletries.

Looking at options of the clear packing cubes with zips, and wondering if this is considered "resealable"?

Or would I need to get ones with the ziplock type openings?

Thanks!
Fish
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Does the zip actually seal the bag or just close it?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Looking at something like this.
If you filled the bag with water then it would probably leak through the zip.

Would I need to find ones where the zip actually are leak-proof?

Thanks,
Fish
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
yes they need to be sealed not just closed.

I use zip-lock type sandwich / freezer bags from poundland!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
I've only ever been forced to decant my zipped clear cosmetic bag into a ziplock bag once.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I think I'll go with poundland!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
I always use a bag with zipper (much like those in your photos) and I've never had an issue at any airport, normally they don't even give it a second glance. I think all they really care about is being able to see into the bag so that they can make sure nothing is over the size limit.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by KMPete

I think all they really care about is being able to see into the bag so that they can make sure nothing is over the size limit.
This is what I've always believed myself. I invariably do use a sealed bag - but in the odd cases when I haven't, it hasn't caused a problem.

Has there in fact ever been any 'official' reason given (whether logical or otherwise) as to why exactly the bags need to be re-sealable at all ....?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:08 am

I routinely travel with a zipped bag. I'd say about 1 in 20 trips I am required to decant the contents into a proffered disposable bag on the basis that it is not considered resealable.

Can't say I've noticed any consistency about when/where this happens. But it's not the end of the world so I'd say go for it and deal with it if necessary.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by chinafish
Looking at something like this.
If you filled the bag with water then it would probably leak through the zip.

Would I need to find ones where the zip actually are leak-proof?

Thanks,
Fish
I have one of those bags. Find them much more robust that the ones available at security. Have mixed success as to whether they clear security without the bottles needing to be transferred into an 'airport approved' version though. T5: generally OK; T2: hit & miss; SOU: always gets picked up; Asia: never questioned
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by subject2load
This is what I've always believed myself. I invariably do use a sealed bag - but in the odd cases when I haven't, it hasn't caused a problem.

Has there in fact ever been any 'official' reason given (whether logical or otherwise) as to why exactly the bags need to be re-sealable at all ....?
Yes, IIRC it is to trap the vapor of the liquid in the bag so the machines can more readily analyse the contents.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, IIRC it is to trap the vapor of the liquid in the bag so the machines can more readily analyse the contents.
This.

Security have liquid testers that "sniff" the air in the bag for traces of bad things.

If you are forced to decant into a sealed bag as part of a search you will usually find the officer will
make you wait for a period of time before conducting the liquid test. Normally this is done by passing the bag back through the X-Ray. This allows enough time for tests to be accurate.

The offline test for liquids use strips
similar to litmus tests you did at school. They spray or rub some of the liquid onto the test paper and if it changes colour it's s positive reading.

Hope that helps :-)
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I have used snopake airbags - very durable and reasonably cheap considering how long they last - I bought 5 of these in 2010 and still have one unused!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...hlL&ref=plSrch
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by liviboy
This.

Security have liquid testers that "sniff" the air in the bag for traces of bad things.

If you are forced to decant into a sealed bag as part of a search you will usually find the officer will
make you wait for a period of time before conducting the liquid test. Normally this is done by passing the bag back through the X-Ray. This allows enough time for tests to be accurate.

The offline test for liquids use strips
similar to litmus tests you did at school. They spray or rub some of the liquid onto the test paper and if it changes colour it's s positive reading.

Hope that helps :-)
But I've never had my liquids 'sniffed' - his often does this happen ?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Fair enough. Thanks for the insight folks ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.