Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

The zipper security flaw... anyone solved it in a practical way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The zipper security flaw... anyone solved it in a practical way?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UAL, JetBlue
Question The zipper security flaw... anyone solved it in a practical way?

I imagine a good number of people know this, that luggage locks where zippers are concerned are pretty much useless. This is because most zippers can easily be bypassed by inserting the tip of a ballpoint pen into the center seam of a zipper and push hard, thereby causing zipper separation and an open bag. And sealing it is simply done by sliding the locked zipper pair all the way through to the other side, so the break-in would not be easily detected.

The only practical way I know to avoid this is by using hard shell case luggage that doesn't rely on zippers. But that type of luggage poses limitations (ease of access, no ability to shrink or collapse). And the B&R Torq line is not a good design (overpriced).

Some thoughts:

Perhaps a luggage cover/sheath would be a good idea. Something that covers over the luggage most of the way, holding it tightly, while still allowing some access to a front top end compartment and handle . The added hassle of having to pull off the sheath to get to the zipper would mean too much time involved... and a potential thief would look for easier luggage instead.

Aside from that, I've also heard about securing the locked zippers to a handle, which means a thief wouldn't be able to cover their tracks (zip the bag back up) and this would foil their ability to open/close the bag quickly.

Any other viable options, aside from not checking in your bag?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I don't generally check bags and if I do, I don't put valuables in them. But I did find your post interesting since I've never given any thought to zipper security. I've always assumed that locks were useless since a thief could quickly cut the zipper seam with a knife, but your method is better at avoiding detection
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Voicemint
Take a look at this thread in the Travel Products forum:
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The only misstatement in the OP is that the security flaw has nothing to do with zippers and everything to do with locks.

Put simply, don't bother.

1. Don't put valuables in checked luggage.
2. Locks won't help if you do.
3. If anything, locks point thieves to bags containing valuables.

Security services, if they do wish to open a bag will cut the lock anyway.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I lock the zipper pulls and secure them to the handle of the case. This prevents a baggage thief from resealing the zipper, making it a slightly less attractive target.

I've also got a couple of very old (> 50 years!) heavy duffle bags with metal zippers. You can't use the ballpoint pen/reseal trick on metal zippers.

It simply isn't always feasible to take everything of value as carry-on, particularly when you're talking about gear that can't be easily replaced, if at all, at your destination.

Example: the couple who arrived in Africa to hike Kilimanjaro. Their unlocked bag had contained well-broken-in hiking boots, trekking poles, one Goretex shell, batteries and OTC meds and toiletries, all of which were gone. The thieves even pulled the battery from their travel alarm.

The batteries were replaceable; a poor substitute for the hiking poles could be found, but the boots and the shell couldn't be replaced.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:24 pm

I agree that valuables sometimes have to be checked (such as the poles). But, since the hiking boots were likely the single most essential element for a successful hiking trip, I probably would have packed them in carry-on or worn them on the plane.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I agree that valuables sometimes have to be checked (such as the poles). But, since the hiking boots were likely the single most essential element for a successful hiking trip, I probably would have packed them in carry-on or worn them on the plane.
Used hiking boots are hardly most people's idea of 'valuables', nor do most people think they will be attractive to thieves. BTW.. you don't wear plastic mountaineering boots on the plane or to walk around (not as bad as ski boots, but close) and their carry-ons were jammed with what were presumably more attractive targets: electronics and dive gear, prescription dive mask, etc.

The point is that just because something works for you and makes sense for your personal style of travel, don't assume it works for everyone else. It's quite possible that these folks would have still had their gear if they'd locked their bags. I did and my gear arrived intact. Metal zips, a remarkably shabby bag and a lock must have been just enough deterrent for the baggage handlers to move on to a more easily accessed bag.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
BTW.. you don't wear plastic mountaineering boots on the plane or to walk around (not as bad as ski boots, but close).
Sorry, I assumed hiking books could be used for walking - I'm obviously not much of an outdoorsman
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:31 pm

Sorry, I assumed hiking books could be used for walking - I'm obviously not much of an outdoorsman
Some hiking boots, yes. My mountaineering boots aren't anything I'd want to walk in for any distance, and I certainly wouldn't travel in them. You're not 'walking' in them the same way you walk in a pair of shoes - normal heel-to-toe roll. The soles are completely inflexible - it's like walking on boards or in ski boots. You can unlace them half-way, but that's a good way to end up with blisters on the front of your ankle (tried it). They're particularly unsuited for speed - like even a brisk walking pace through an airport.

Of course, if you're carrying a 35-50/lb pack, you aren't dancing and prancing up the mountainside, even if the trail is level and someone in running shoes or day hikers could.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:04 pm

I was picturing normal hiking boots that could be worn on the plane instead of regular shoes. They might not be the ideal travel shoes but a bit of discomfort would be worth it to ensure they arrived. I agree that this wouldn't work very well if they are similar to large plastic ski-boots In this case, I guess there is no option but to check them and hope for the best. I guess we got a little off topic. A scruffy bag might attract less attention from would-be thieves...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:59 pm

I was picturing normal hiking boots that could be worn on the plane instead of regular shoes. They might not be the ideal travel shoes but a bit of discomfort would be worth it to ensure they arrived. I agree that this wouldn't work very well if they are similar to large plastic ski-boots In this case, I guess there is no option but to check them and hope for the best. I guess we got a little off topic. A scruffy bag might attract less attention from would-be thieves...
A guy I work with says if he were a crooked baggage handler, he'd go for the ugly bags, because the posh new ones are too obvious, no one would be dumb enough to put valuables in a high-end bag because that's the expected thing. A scruffy bag can be bad if you're going somewhere outdoors and remote, because good quality camping gear is hard to come by and in demand if there are thieves around.

Around the time we were all in Tanzania, shoes and thermal underwear were in great demand. The same friends that lost the boots for the climb (which they had to bail on before the summit because of the footwear problem) had a pair of really scruffy Tevas stolen out of their bag going back. They were soooo nasty, but they still had a lot of tread and miles of wear.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA
Some luggage has a built-in TSA-approved lock that you put the zipper pulls in and it locks them in place. So, they'd still be able to get the zipper open, but then wouldn't be able to close it back up, as you noted with attaching the lock to the handle. Of course, you'd have to buy new luggage for this.

If you're traveling internationally, you might not have an option, depending on where you're going. Some countries participate in the TSA lock program, others don't.

If you're really worried, you can try shipping your luggage to your destination, if your hotel or other destination allows for it. I've heard of people doing that but have never tried myself. It isn't foolproof, but eliminates any airport shenanigans.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:05 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Voicemint
I imagine a good number of people know this, that luggage locks where zippers are concerned are pretty much useless. This is because most zippers can easily be bypassed by inserting the tip of a ballpoint pen into the center seam of a zipper and push hard, thereby causing zipper separation and an open bag. And sealing it is simply done by sliding the locked zipper pair all the way through to the other side, so the break-in would not be easily detected.

The only practical way I know to avoid this is by using hard shell case luggage that doesn't rely on zippers. But that type of luggage poses limitations (ease of access, no ability to shrink or collapse). And the B&R Torq line is not a good design (overpriced).

Some thoughts:

Perhaps a luggage cover/sheath would be a good idea. Something that covers over the luggage most of the way, holding it tightly, while still allowing some access to a front top end compartment and handle . The added hassle of having to pull off the sheath to get to the zipper would mean too much time involved... and a potential thief would look for easier luggage instead.

Aside from that, I've also heard about securing the locked zippers to a handle, which means a thief wouldn't be able to cover their tracks (zip the bag back up) and this would foil their ability to open/close the bag quickly.

I use a Rimowa and a Torq depending on my travel destination. The Torq might be a bit pricey but sometimes you can get a good price. I got the best price I could when I bought mine.

What I have realized is the wear and tear from the people throwing your bag around behind the scenes and the machines that move the suitcases - these things just aren't gentle and hurt the suitcase a lot.

What my solution has been is to use a suitcase cover. It makes it harder for them to get in and steal your stuff if they only have a few minutes. It also protects your luggage a lot! The one for my Rimowa almost needs to be replaced it has been abused badly!

Lastly, I don't put anything I deem valuable in the checked bag. As I am a big guy, it would suck if they lost my bag or someone decided to take my clothes...but that is sort of why I also book my trips using a credit card with great insurance so if something does go missing or damaged, I can but a replacement right away.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:07 pm

you can do what most of the rest of the world does - buy shrink-wrapping around your luggage
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by alchemista
you can do what most of the rest of the world does - buy shrink-wrapping around your luggage
I've never seen a shrink-wrapper at a US airport.

Pretty pricey when I looked at it overseas. Too pricey for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.