Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Does TSA not leave a note in opened checked baggage anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I checked a bag yesterday that had a bottle of scotch in it. I locked the bag using an old (pre-TSA) luggage lock I've had forever. WHen I got the bag back, I saw that the lock had been cut but there was no "We searched your bag" note from the TSA. Nothing was missing.

Does the TSA not leave a note anymore?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
It seems to be a recurring issue.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: QFF
Since 2005, when I started traveling through the US with the TSA, my checked bags have been opened at least a dozen times. At least 5 TSA approved locks cut. Damage to items in baggage that was impossible to have been due to handling.
I have seen a note once.

TSA might be "required" to leave a note if they search a checked bag, but the amount of times they actually do is minuscule.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I checked a bag yesterday that had a bottle of scotch in it. I locked the bag using an old (pre-TSA) luggage lock I've had forever. WHen I got the bag back, I saw that the lock had been cut but there was no "We searched your bag" note from the TSA. Nothing was missing.

Does the TSA not leave a note anymore?
It sometimes still does, and sometimes it does not. The sign of the times is on how they spent and spend money on the notices.

Could the lock have been cut without the bag having been opened? That's also another possible explanation.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I used to see that note every once and while but haven't seen it in several years. I do not lock my bags, but I have also not seen anything to suggest they've been searched through. Nothing has ever been broken or stolen.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
What's the point of TSA locks if the TSA cuts them anyway?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:37 pm

Your naive if you think the TSA is the only one looking inside luggage. Just hope it is the good guys and not someone using your luggage as a drug mule.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We flew last month. I was sure two of our bags would draw a search and suspected a third would. 3 notes.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: DL, AA
I collected two of the notes in my checked bag on my current trip to NRT, one for the first flight and the connecting flight.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:48 am

I received a note last month flying out of LAX
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I know my bag was searched on a trip last month, but I can't tell if they left a note in the front pocket (they didn't put a note in the main area of the suitcase) because they put a lock that isn't mine on that pocket. Thankfully I had nothing but extra ziploc bags in that pocket but it's now unusable because I haven't figured out how to get that lock off. Any one know how to get a TSA lock off a bag without a key - without breaking the suitcase?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
I know my bag was searched on a trip last month, but I can't tell if they left a note in the front pocket (they didn't put a note in the main area of the suitcase) because they put a lock that isn't mine on that pocket. Thankfully I had nothing but extra ziploc bags in that pocket but it's now unusable because I haven't figured out how to get that lock off. Any one know how to get a TSA lock off a bag without a key - without breaking the suitcase?
Bolt cutter. You can rent from many Home Depot's.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Bolt cutter. You can rent from many Home Depot's.
The typical luggage lock can be cut with a hacksaw easily enough. No need to rent a bolt cutter.

<redacted>

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 6, 2016 at 10:25 am Reason: Policy debate/comment, not Practical Travel Safety/Security information/advice
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Here is a non TSA lock that they failed miserably to remove. TSA finally cut the zipper pulls.

As for the TSA love notes, I see them fairly regularly.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The typical luggage lock can be cut with a hacksaw easily enough. No need to rent a bolt cutter.
The typical zipper suitcase can be largely opened by just using a pen or letter opener, even if the zipper pulls are locked together. That doesn't seem to be the approach the TSA takes when unable to unlock the lock on a bag -- whether by measure of TSA search notices in bags or otherwise. Expensive locks for TSA-searched bags -- with or without the notices -- are subject to being destroyed by the TSA. Just a practical thing to keep in mind when purchasing luggage and luggage accessories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.