Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport - photo and print misalignment

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

US Passport - photo and print misalignment

Hello folks,

those of you who hold American passport. I have applied and received my first passport and I got concerned about 2 things.

First. The colors of the photograph I submitted were fine, but the colors of the print are off, looks bleached, plus the photo is not aligned to the centre.

Second and more concerning is the text in the machine readable zone. It is off to the left so that the first letter actually is right at the edge of the page. If I leave off the cosmetic aspect, would it actually cause any problems for the airport scanners reading it?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
For starters I would call, 877 487-2778.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by octopus1980
Hello folks,

those of you who hold American passport. I have applied and received my first passport and I got concerned about 2 things.

First. The colors of the photograph I submitted were fine, but the colors of the print are off, looks bleached, plus the photo is not aligned to the centre.

Second and more concerning is the text in the machine readable zone. It is off to the left so that the first letter actually is right at the edge of the page. If I leave off the cosmetic aspect, would it actually cause any problems for the airport scanners reading it?
Sounds to be in or close to being in the range of normal for valid US passports. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it if in this kind of situation. If you think the quality of the completed passport is such that it is going to cause you problems during travel and that they and you acknowledge that there is a material error/flaw in the passport, then you may go back and try to get it replaced for no additional application fee.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I wonder how unique my case is? I would like to fix it, but I don't know if there is anything to fix, maybe this is a norm.

Anyone can share his/her experience?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:31 am

Passport photo page printed diagonally

My US passport reissued last year (2016) is printed diagonally. It makes it not machine readable in the majority of cases. It does better with a scan (as on a Global Entry kiosk) than a swipe, as most ACS/airport passport check employees would do.

Often, it's just an annoyance- swipe 3x and then the agent manually keys in the number. But in two recent cases, one at exit customs in Malaga, another at the LHR United Lounge, passport readers insisted on swiping it, leading to an awkward and annoying delay until the thing finally read or they keyed it in, as seemed to happen, respectively.

I'd like to deal with it, but I live abroad and don't want to relinquish my passport for any length of time.

Does anyone know if I could get this addressed without relinquishing my passport or making multiple trips to a US consulate?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by octopus1980
Hello folks,

Get it replaced. The State Dept will overnight you a new one once you return the existing one at no cost other than the return postage.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by layman85
Does anyone know if I could get this addressed without relinquishing my passport or making multiple trips to a US consulate?
None. Go to a US Consulate and have it replaced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.