Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What can happen if you're "caught" with small amounts of medicine w/o prescription?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What can happen if you're "caught" with small amounts of medicine w/o prescription?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chollie
Even though I knew I had to start jumping through hoops to buy 'real' Sudafed in the US, for some reason I completely blanked about taking it overseas. I didn't lump it with hard-core pain pill drugs.

So I took my Sudafed tabs to Japan twice. Once there was a pretty thorough bag search at boarding, but fortunately they didn't investigate my pills. Their attention was captured by an unlabelled clear-plastic squeeze bottle (lens cleaner for my camera).

I'm not aware of any other country that takes Sudafed so seriously (other than, perhaps, the US).
As long as it's the version with pesduoephedrine they all take it seriously. It's the main ingredient in meth.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
As long as it's the version with pesduoephedrine they all take it seriously. It's the main ingredient in meth.
No. It's easily converted into meth. The only pseudophedrine in meth is due to imperfect manufacture.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

If you wish to discuss manufacturing methamphetamine from Sudafed and/or pseudoephedrine, please do so in OMNI.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:09 am

Prohibited substances list

Very interesting thread. I've carried a small amount of Vicodin [prescription]
with me on my travels due to a history of kidney stones and never really thought much of it until now.
Where can one find a listing of prohibited or restricted substances for each country?
Steroids: Testosterone, yes classified. Anti-inflammatory steroids such
as prednisone, not classified.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe
Very interesting thread. I've carried a small amount of Vicodin [prescription]
with me on my travels due to a history of kidney stones and never really thought much of it until now.
Where can one find a listing of prohibited or restricted substances for each country?
Steroids: Testosterone, yes classified. Anti-inflammatory steroids such
as prednisone, not classified.
INCB Regulations by Country
Old Sep 11, 2016, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Australia has some tough regulations, including forbidding some OTC medicines that are common in the USA.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Australia has some tough regulations, including forbidding some OTC medicines that are common in the USA.
Most of Australias rules for what we would consider C-II (most narcotics) are actually easy if you carry it with you when entering and it's less then 30 day supply. The hard part is that you can't ship in any if you need it for any reason. (Stolen, more then 30 day stay, etc) However most doctors are much more willing to prescribe in AU/NZ then in the US. I ran out while I'm SYD and had no issue getting a new 30 day just by showing my empty bottle from the US. Quick 30 min appointment on a Sunday and walked over and got it filled.

The OTC issue is normally for pseudoephedrine/ephedrine containing products.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
Lots of countries do, Mexico, for instance.
Yes, but surprising not Canada, as I found out last week. I was glad to be able to just walk in and buy the real stuff without ID or other hassle.

As for the OP, simply saying Opioids and Malaysia in the same sentence should make you think twice. Caning is minimum sentence for drug possession in Malaysia, with death being the other end of the spectrum.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Yes, and you can get 222's in Canada. You have to ask at the pharmacy counter, but you're not required to show ID to buy it. Illegal in the US without a prescription.

Anecdotally, someone who used to bring 222's back for migraines (on the advice of her US doctor) was told by an American CBP agent that it's illegal to bring back more than one bottle per visit.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:03 am

No need for a workaround. Be honest with your physician, let them know what you need, and likely you will get the script you need.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
Yes, but surprising not Canada, as I found out last week. I was glad to be able to just walk in and buy the real stuff without ID or other hassle.

As for the OP, simply saying Opioids and Malaysia in the same sentence should make you think twice. Caning is minimum sentence for drug possession in Malaysia, with death being the other end of the spectrum.
Malaysia isn't bad as long as it's on its original prescription bottle with label. Also needs to be 30 days or less supply. Just went through there. SIN though requires you fill out a form, and submit it 10 days before travel there. Then have to declare it at customs. Of course most times they'll let US/UK citizens through even if they haven't filed it out and submitted. Provided of course all other conditions are met.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: JGC Premier, JAL Oneworld Emerald
Check EACH country you visit. Do not trust that a prescription bottle or doctor's note will save you. In Japan it won't. In Japan they will detain your for a few weeks and deport you, but in other Asian countries, they are more strict and may throw you in a local prison.

As a Japan resident, who has had friends and family visit Japan carrying hydrocodone, this is illegal to carry without completing a special form and obtaining permission several weeks beforehand.

Hydrocodone, oxycodone, codeine, and a few other medicines in any amount for any reason require this form.

These drugs are strictly controlled and legal in Japan with prescriptions from a doctor in Japan, but prescriptions from other countries are considered invalid.

Every so often some tourist makes the local news for getting arrested for carrying a prescription bottle. Sometimed they make international news. Story is always the same, few weeks detention, deportation, re-entry banned for 5-10 years.
The US embassy in Japan has in bold letters "The Japanese border officials do not make on the spot humanitarian decisions".

For anyone reading this from Google searches, do NOT take Adderall, stimulants or pseudoephedrine(common in OTC cold medicine like Mucinex) or any compound that can be harvested to make things like meth. Even Vicks rub and inhalers.These are 100% illegal in Japan, and there is no special form for these. If a dog picks up your bag be ready for a really bad time.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It's the OTC (in the US) drug prohibitions that might have tripped me up, specifically Sudafed. I took it to Japan twice without realizing I wasn't supposed to.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
OP, by asking the question you already know the answer.

If you are willing to take the chance then whatever happens is on you.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
It's the OTC (in the US) drug prohibitions that might have tripped me up, specifically Sudafed. I took it to Japan twice without realizing I wasn't supposed to.
Yeah--many years ago I went through Japan with some pseudophedrine. It didn't occur to me it could be an issue. What does Japan do for a decongestant?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.