Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel EU<>US without passport?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by N1120A
The airline is your biggest problem. You are probably right that you don't technically need your passport to enter the US or the EU, though I'm not sure of EU rules on entry when you are traveling from outside the EU.
You can travel from most of the EU to/from of Switzerland with just your ID card (although there's no border control there), you can also travel UK to/from Switzerland with an ID card (in which case there is a border check).

That doesn't mean that there are no rules on needing to present your passport when reentering Schengen or the UK from outside EU/EFTA/EEA (although as a UK citizen you don't really have much of a choice), but it would be hard to police and they generally don't bother checking your BPs at the border.

(At Schengen entry/exit I sometimes do get asked where I'm flying to, but I think that's mostly the border guards helping make sure you're going to the right area/gates - and they don't actually ask me to show any proof that that's where I'm going.)
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
On my last flight from Norway to the United States, the only place I presented my passport was exiting Norway at Gardermoen airport (Norway implements a passport exit control.) Crucially, the airline never asked for it.

The airline DID initially ask me for ESTA information. I told them I was a permanent resident of the United States and therefore did not require an ESTA. They verified my green card and stamped my boarding pass with a little red stamp indicating LPR status (perhaps for the benefit of gate checkers?)

I had my passport with me, but they did not request it, and I did not volunteer. So yes, it is possible to board a US-bound aircraft with just a green card, although I'm sure different airlines have different policies on this.
acceptable substitute for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens.)
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:06 pm

It is indeed possible to board a US-bound flight with only a Green Card. Before naturalization, my wife had a passport that did not feature a MRZ and was written pretty much by hand, so when she was boarding to the US, the airline representative checked her in with the Green Card only. That was in 2008.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by König
It is indeed possible to board a US-bound flight with only a Green Card. Before naturalization, my wife had a passport that did not feature a MRZ and was written pretty much by hand, so when she was boarding to the US, the airline representative checked her in with the Green Card only. That was in 2008.
What's possible and what's legal are not one and the same thing.

It sounds like they flew her with the passport and the green card. In other words she was traveling with a non-MRZ passport in conjunction with a US LPR card in order to comply with the US regulations that also include the US' WHTI.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by txviking
On my last flight from Norway to the United States, the only place I presented my passport was exiting Norway at Gardermoen airport (Norway implements a passport exit control.) Crucially, the airline never asked for it.

The airline DID initially ask me for ESTA information. I told them I was a permanent resident of the United States and therefore did not require an ESTA. They verified my green card and stamped my boarding pass with a little red stamp indicating LPR status (perhaps for the benefit of gate checkers?)

I had my passport with me, but they did not request it, and I did not volunteer. So yes, it is possible to board a US-bound aircraft with just a green card, although I'm sure different airlines have different policies on this.
acceptable substitute for EU/EEA/Swiss citizens.)
It is worth noting that submitting APIS information is required of everyone flying to the US (including US citizens and LPR) and this includes passport number. Most airlines will require this with limited exceptions (for example Air Canada allows NEXUS for US-CA flights)

I would not want to be at the mercy of the airline employee that wants to double check your APIS record... At minimum you should have you passport information written down and available to you in case your APIS needs to be re-entered for some reason!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
WHTI has nothing to do with the legality of an LPR entering the USA without a passport. See https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...l1-part211.pdf .

The airline might or might not board an LPR without presenting a passport. I've successfully done so twice, once from YEG, once from BLR.

About 50% of the time a CBP officer will ask me for my passport whether I am using GE or not. I've never experienced what happens when he asks and I don't have my passport (sometimes my passport is sitting in a consulate getting a visa. Sometimes it is getting renewed).
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mre5765
WHTI has nothing to do with the legality of an LPR entering the USA without a passport. See https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...l1-part211.pdf .

The airline might or might not board an LPR without presenting a passport. I've successfully done so twice, once from YEG, once from BLR.

About 50% of the time a CBP officer will ask me for my passport whether I am using GE or not. I've never experienced what happens when he asks and I don't have my passport (sometimes my passport is sitting in a consulate getting a visa. Sometimes it is getting renewed).
WHTI has a lot to do with the legality of an LPR being transported to enter the USA without a passport. The legal requirements applicable to transport service providers transporting passengers are not the same as the legal requirements applicable to the persons at US airports of entry.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: MR (so far)
Lightbulb

On a related note, in the latest Carrier Information Guide on page 25, CBP says that for departure by air, a passport is required even if the destination country accepts, say, an identification card for admission. The one exception is a Nexus card, but "only at a designated NEXUS location" which makes so sense because there aren't any NEXUS locations, right?

But then on page 70 of the Guide, it straight up says a Nexus card is fine for departure by air. Not departure by air only to Canada. Not departure by air only at a designated NEXUS location.

So I'm a US/EU dual citizen with both a Nexus card and an ID card from an EU member that lets me enter the EU/EEA/CH/Schengenland without needing a passport. So if I'm flying from the US to, say, France, could I use only the two cards and not a passport?

(I know that I would need the US passport to return to the US. This question is only about the US to France flight and what documents I would need to depart the US.)
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by virgosvirgo
On a related note, in the latest Carrier Information Guide on page 25, CBP says that for departure by air, a passport is required even if the destination country accepts, say, an identification card for admission. The one exception is a Nexus card, but "only at a designated NEXUS location" which makes so sense because there aren't any NEXUS locations, right?

But then on page 70 of the Guide, it straight up says a Nexus card is fine for departure by air. Not departure by air only to Canada. Not departure by air only at a designated NEXUS location.

So I'm a US/EU dual citizen with both a Nexus card and an ID card from an EU member that lets me enter the EU/EEA/CH/Schengenland without needing a passport. So if I'm flying from the US to, say, France, could I use only the two cards and not a passport?

(I know that I would need the US passport to return to the US. This question is only about the US to France flight and what documents I would need to depart the US.)
I highly suggest bringing your passport to depart US.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by virgosvirgo

In theory maybe yes, but I strongly doubt the airline will transport you without a passport. Even if it's an EU airline, the checkin/gate agents probably won't know what a European ID looks like. I'm also pretty sure the airline needs to supply CBP with a passport number as part of the manifest to register your departure, in which case they definitely won't let you board without a passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.